New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tamron 90mm VC (f017)

JamesLarsen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 90mm VC (f017)

Hello,

I'm looking into purchasing this lens soon - I was wondering if any of you have it, and could give me some tips on the pros and cons that you feel are with the lens.
I'd also love to see some samples.

Thanks!!
James

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:54 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 90mm VC (f017)

No replies I had it for 3 weeks and the lens has been into Tamron service center in Long Island twice for the persistent dust issues. Dusts were getting in from the loose bayonet mount. According to Tamron, is part of the lens design....to have loose parts. Hehehehe.....

I got it new from Samy's Camera but unfortunately I had to return it to them for a refund....because they didn't have another copy. Two, Tamron won't acknowledge the dust issues was a problem. They were expecting me to send the lens in for dust cleaning every week. No, they didn't swap another copy of the lens for me in the service center.

No, I wasn't thrilled at all. Instead, I used the money for the Tarmon to purchase the Sigma 105 f2.8 OS. The OS wasn't as strong but sharper at wide open than the Tamron. Two, no loose parts. Dusts are not getting in.

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:55 AM
bluloo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 90mm VC (f017)

I had the Di SP version, and it was certainly no sharper than my 30 yr old Bokina (Tokina made Vivitar), so I returned it.
It also had a dust issue, but was at the rear element - large piece of lint, and some smaller dust particles.

I wonder how the new (recently updated and just released) version fares.

Oct 26, 2016 at 03:46 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 90mm VC (f017)

bluloo wrote:
I had the Di SP version, and it was certainly no sharper than my 30 yr old Bokina (Tokina made Vivitar), so I returned it.
It also had a dust issue, but was at the rear element - large piece of lint, and some smaller dust particles.

I wonder how the new (recently updated and just released) version fares.

But the f017 version is really horrible with dusts. I could literally see dusts being blown in using a rocket blower...blowing at the front lens element. I am like, WTF is this I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I have nikon AI lens dated back 20 years ago and don't have dusts problems with a rocket blower.

You can seal the front from dusts by using a protector filter. That's defeating the purpose of having a lens with special coating to repel dusts and water....Hahahahahaha.... I hope the OP didn't get the lens. The older VC is nice though. For $600 for the new F017 version, you have plenty of options. Sigma or even the used Nikon 105 micro.

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:19 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 90mm VC (f017)

In tests, this thing is ridiculously sharp.

In use, seemed good overall, not exceptional.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:38 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password