Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for ...

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I'd rather schedule a colonoscopy and a root canal on the same day..
than go P&S. Just sayin'

Oct 10, 2016 at 07:42 PM
rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

so you'd like everything to be taken care of while you're knocked out?

it is that attempt at comprehensive "solutions" that is the impetus for the P&S...

Oct 10, 2016 at 07:46 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

My wife was not at all inclined to carry around a DSLR and multiple lenses. I bought her an Olympus Pen camera. The current Pen E-PL 7 camera sells for $349 and with Olympus there are lots of zoom and prime lenses from which to choose including a small and lightweight 12-40mm f/2.8 constant aperture that is like a DSLR 24-80mm f/2.8 lens at half the size and weight.

What impressed me was both the still quality and the video quality produced by these cameras. Olympus also did an exceptional job of creating usable picture modes so for example a flower mode that with the camera's flash will perfectly expose the flower and provide a perfectly black background.

Olympus MFT lens examples
12-40mm f/2..8 13.5 oz.
14-42mm f/3.5~5.6 3.2 oz.

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 32 oz.

Oct 10, 2016 at 08:32 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Folks who have shot with point and shoot camera experienced the pain of significant shutter lag and likely middling performance. That is certainly the case for me. But I understand lugging a camera bag filled with gear can be daunting. My last trip was four years ago when I traveled to the Netherlands and then with my Dutch friend went to Turkey for almost two weeks. I carried a D700 and five manual focus lenses. When I was a young man, lugging a suitcase and backpack filled with camera gear was not a problem. In my seventies it is a challenge. I now have a Df and still shoot exclusively with manual focus Nikkors. IF I head bag to Europe next year, my 76th, I'll still take my FX gear, but I'll forego the faster, heavier lenses. There are some very sweet pre-AI lenses that are small AND deliver excellent performance. Of course, my friend is a photographer as well, so as much as we enjoy one another's company, we travel so we CAN take photos. Perhaps it will be Spain next year.

Clearly, there is no one size that fits all. However, I second the comments that suggest it would be wise to try out smaller gear without selling your current kit. I kept the bulk of my Canon gear when I began experimenting with Nikon. It was only after I'd concluded my future lay with Nikon that I began selling off the Canon kit I'd built over half a dozen years. Good luck!

Oct 10, 2016 at 08:50 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password