New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2016 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Bill Graham
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

What's your end-use condition? If the ultimate destination for your photos is to be edited and printed at a decent size to be framed and hung then stick with the burdensome outfit you have.

If you just want pics to post on Facebook and view on your tablet you'd be better off with the latest iPhone. And you get to call people, check your email and browse the Web thrown in as a bonus.

I'm being serious here, the current generation of smart phones have cameras that are just as good as any high-end P&S on the market. They may not have the sensor size of a dedicated P&S but they have the advantage of the sharpest minds in the business working on the software that makes the end result just as good for viewing on a smart device or computer monitor. There's a reason that the P&S market volume is dropping like a lead balloon...

I just got back from a trip to GTNP and Yellowstone, I have lots of good shots from my Nikon gear. And I have lots of good shots from my iPhone 6 as well. I'm not printing any of them at 24x36, I'm looking at them on my computer and sharing the selects on iCloud with my friends. If I were making large prints the phone shots wouldn't make the grade but I'm not going to print anything larger than a 5x7 for an album and the iPhone shots fit in just fine at that size.

Consider where your photos will wind up and gear up accordingly.

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:00 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

rw11 wrote:
m43 is the answer

what is the m43, google can't help me

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:33 PM
PIOK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

what is the m43, google can't help me

>>>>> Micro Four Thirds

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:39 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

>>>>> Micro Four Thirds

oh cool
I thought maybe it was a specific model

I may add one of these to my wife's purse soon, when it comes out

https://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Instant-Digital-Printing-Technology/dp/B01LWV127J

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:58 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

oh cool
I thought maybe it was a specific model

I may add one of these to my wife's purse soon, when it comes out

https://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Instant-Digital-Printing-Technology/dp/B01LWV127J

do it do it do it!!!

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:47 PM
glowhunter
• •
[X]
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

eltano wrote:
I was too much concentrated taking pictures left and right, looking for the best scene, checking on the camera's settings and nothing else.

that's your problem and not the camera. I could happily put my d750 camera into A mode, auto ISO, jpegs, with my sigma 35 art and snap away without a care in the world, taking snaps of anything that peaks my interest while still enjoying my vacation and the people around me. I don't see how the camera is the problem.

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:55 PM
twistacatz
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

glowhunter wrote:
that's your problem and not the camera. I could happily put my d750 camera into A mode, auto ISO, jpegs, with my sigma 35 art and snap away without a care in the world, taking snaps of anything that peaks my interest while still enjoying my vacation and the people around me. I don't see how the camera is the problem.

I agree, it's not the gear. It's all about balancing your family with photography.

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:09 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Bill Graham wrote:
What's your end-use condition? If the ultimate destination for your photos is to be edited and printed at a decent size to be framed and hung then stick with the burdensome outfit you have.

If you just want pics to post on Facebook and view on your tablet you'd be better off with the latest iPhone. And you get to call people, check your email and browse the Web thrown in as a bonus.

Tried the web on a phone. Great if your fingers are the size of sewing machine needles. Even an 8 inch tablet is pushing it.
edit to add: Why can't they put cameras as good as phone cams in tablets? Every tablet cam has some flaw not found in better phones.

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:18 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

This is just how I approach things..

When I go on vacation, I already have something in mind. Compositions I wanna take, scenes I hope to capture, light I want to chase. Sometimes I see them, sometimes I don't. But you have to have a plan.

Once we get to the location, I make sure I spend precious time with my wife and kids. Most of that happens during the daytime when you normally won't be shooting anyway. Light's too harsh and it's mostly family bonding time.

When the sun sets and they're getting ready to rest, my gear comes out. That's the time I catch the golden light and enjoy taking photos by myself. Sometimes they come with me, sometimes they stay in the hotel. The next morning, I wake up really early to catch the good light again--- when they're still asleep, so basically they don't miss me.

This approach gives me the best of both worlds--- have quality time with my family while still having great time with photography. When I'm with them, I don't constantly tinker with my gear. This is how I balance photography with family life.

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:22 AM
swainsons
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Panasonic Lumix LX100. End of story.

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:20 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Buy the P&S that you like, try it for a while and if you find you don't want to go back to your DSLR, then sell off your DSLR. A bit hard to go back to your DSLR if you sell it off before you decide that you don't like the P&S. Maybe you just should use the P&S on holidays and use the DSLR at home when you want to be a bit more "creative" or want to try for that "special" image?

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:13 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I looked and didn't see anything on this, can this shoot raw?

Edit. Found it. Yes it does.

swainsons wrote:
Panasonic Lumix LX100. End of story.

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:32 AM
DonM2
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

For very many years I've had examples of all the 'medium & heavy' cams from both Canon and Nikon. Film and digital. And other stuff like Kodak Brownie Special to Speed Graphic.

But I now say this: The current upscale cellphone cams can do at least 90% of what I'd like for daily out-and-about. So my next camera may well be a replacement for my current cell!!

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:30 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Most photogs end up with a 'serious' kit and a casual kit/camera for this reason. Houses for courses. Most trips with family and friends are at times when the light isn't that great anyway so it usually doesn't bother me too much.

eltano wrote:
I realized that I was not really enjoying the views and the company of my wife.

I was too much concentrated taking pictures left and right, looking for the best scene, checking on the camera's settings and nothing else.

I just wanted to highlight this because just changing your gear is may be unlikely to change this mindset much.

When I go out with other people I typically leave any camera at home because I don't find photography to be compatible with enjoying other peoples' company. Again, as above often the conditions don't let themselves to good pictures anyway.

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:46 AM
eltano
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

To glowhunter and twistacatz

Where did I blame the gear?

To the rest, I think that I'm going to get a P&S and keep my gear for now.

Regards

Eltano

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:18 AM
drtaylor23
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

One more vote for bringing a P&S into the picture.

I just used an Olympus Tough camera that I got the kids to knock around for a trip to a little amusement park this weekend because we have to go on rides with them. It was actually kind of fun to figure out how to get just enough control and defeat the camera and get some really good shots. It also makes it easier to cull because most of the images are crap. I started with 200 and cut it to about 10.

I also have a two camera system depending on what I'm going to be doing. I had a RX100, which was great, but I got a RX1, which will have to be pried from my cold dead hands. I've never loved an object before, but I guess I've never had one that was worth it. It also provides a challenging shooting experience, but the output is such that you can find something to like about every single image.

There's always a Canon EOS M with the 22 f/2, a Coolpix A, or RX100 lower mark versions floating around for $200-300.

The real bonus of a fixed-lens P&S is video with AF. It's good enough and I'm about 10x more likely to take video if I just hit the button and go.

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:36 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

You can try it, I would keep in mind you also inherit all the down-sides of a P&S too. Slow focus, power-up, and confusing controls. Once you get used to the speed and operation of a DSLR it's kind of hard to live with less. But it's also hard to argue with the results of the newest little cameras.

Oct 07, 2016 at 10:31 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I personally am getting the new iPhone in a bit, unless my Note 5 is good enough (it does shoot RAW, which i have yet to test out). That is unless you are going to enlarge your photos quite a bit. If not, i don't see why a P&S is needed.

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:33 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

My wife and I in the last 23 years have travelled 2-4 months per year and visited over 100
countries, accompanied at times by relatives. When accompanied by relatives, I hand out camera/lens combos. 5D3/24-105L, 7D2/100-400L, etc.

The amount of photography equipment depends on length of trip, type of trip (cruise, bus tour, independent travel, etc.) Photography and overall travel enjoyment are optimized by
leisurely, unrushed trips. We now often spend a month or more in one city. Cities like
Berlin, Istanbul, etc. merit long visits.

Many of our trips are once-in-a-lifetime experiences worthy of more than point and shoot photography.

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:46 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Dustin Gent wrote:
I personally am getting the new iPhone in a bit, unless my Note 5 is good enough (it does shoot RAW, which i have yet to test out). That is unless you are going to enlarge your photos quite a bit. If not, i don't see why a P&S is needed.

If the camera is a big feature for you, you may want to reconsider the iPhone 7 - at least in DPR's studio testing, the results are quite awful. Personally I would stick with the Note 5, it's larger sensor, and better optics.

LINK

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:53 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.