Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for ...

eltano
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

After my last vacation trip to Montreal Province (really beautiful places) carrying my D7K with a 17-55, my bag with a 70-200 F4, extra memories cards, and also extra batteries I realized that I was not really enjoying the views and the company of my wife.

I was too much concentrated taking pictures left and right, looking for the best scene, checking on the camera's settings and nothing else.

Once I got back home, I did not enjoyed going thru the 1000's of pics and retouching the chosen ones, soooo ... last week we traveled with my whole family to the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot and I asked one of my buddy to let me use his P&S (Nikon of course). Wow, what a difference.

What should I do? Wait to see if was just a crazy moment or just get rid off all my equipment and be done with it?

Anybody went thru this before?

Give me your thoughts.

Thanks

Eltano

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:18 PM
mysh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Its all about what photography is to you. I have been shooting for around 6 years now and the first few years I focused a lot on photos and took tons of them.
The last couple years my philosophy has changed and my vacations are more enjoyable. I take pics when the light is truly good or when I plan to go somewhere with photos in mind. Outside of that I might have my gear in my backpack but I rarely take it out. I enjoy most of the day with the wife going to museums beach etc, and then around sunset or at night I will take a little time and shoot with a purpose.
How often do you really get a good shot from the thousands taken during the day anyway.

ALso if you don't enjoy editing the chosen good ones then maybe it is time to hang up the gear. I love getting home and finding a good shot and editing it to my desired look.

A big part of it is being honest about light. If something special is happening take out the camera but be more selective about it.

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:23 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I make money with my DSLRs and use them when needed at home, but usually with the family and travel I just roll with an Olympus OM-D E-M10 and little 20mm f/1.7 pancake prime. It is small, EVF and AF are shockingly good, files are great, and I don't have to lug around a bunch of stuff.

You might do well to dump your D7k and 17-55 and replace them with a Nikon 1 (v2, v3, j5?) and the FT1 adapter, so you can still use the 70-200 at a 140-400 effective field of view (if you shoot critters and other stuff far away). Lots of choices out there. Modern small sensors will surprise you in their low-light performance.

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:36 PM
Spectro
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I'm in the same boat as above. Lots of heavy Nikon gear used on assignments but when I travel I carry a Fuji X-T1 with the kit lens on a belt clip and just reach for it when I want to photograph something I like. That way my wife doesn't feel like I'm ignoring her by fussing with my gear all the time. I have a couple fast primes for it but only take them when I know I will need them and quite frankly that's not often when I'm on a relaxing holiday. Let's me move around much more freely.
Heading to the UK tonight to visit friends and this is what I'm taking for a week's holiday.

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:45 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I guess it really depends on what you normally photograph. If you normally do weddings or portrait photography and don't really get into landscape/cityscape stuff then a P&S is a great idea.
I am into scapes and I bought my gear for this reason so the last thing I will do is leave my good gear at home when I am traveling the world.

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:48 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

mysh wrote:
Its all about what photography is to you. I have been shooting for around 6 years now and the first few years I focused a lot on photos and took tons of them.
The last couple years my philosophy has changed and my vacations are more enjoyable. I take pics when the light is truly good or when I plan to go somewhere with photos in mind. Outside of that I might have my gear in my backpack but I rarely take it out. I enjoy most of the day with the wife going to museums beach etc, and then
...Show more

I completely agree with this. I was the same way when I first started but now only take the gear out when the light is just right. Many times if I am vacationing on the beach, I will set up my camera with polarizers and ND filters on the tripod the night before heading out at sunrise. For casual snapshots, I just use my iphone.

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:49 PM
eltano
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Maybe I took too many trips in less than a year, hence took too many pics.

Less than a year we went to Spain, over 2K pics, last month went to Montreal Province (including Quebec) again almost 2K pics. In between, pics of orchids and many other flowers.

Last week, took the loaned and took less than 30 .

I really appreciate all your comments, I like the idea to keep my gear and buy a good P&S and see how I feel about it.

Regards

Eltano

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:00 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Why not both?

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:01 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

For my last vacation I get Sony RX1R II (instead of Nikon D810 and Sigma 24-105), it was a breeze.
Small, light, and produce excellent images.
Yep, I can survive wit just 35mm (but it has to be a good one)

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:16 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

When I'm on holiday I typically carry one DSLR and two lenses (one zoom and one prime). If I see something I really like, the DSLR comes out. Otherwise I simply use the cell phone.

I was previously having the same problem of not paying as much attention to my family as I should have. I fixed it by going out with a D80+50mm FX format pancake lens and nothing else. All of a sudden most scenes were worthless to the camera and better shared with my sister and my mom. I think they both appreciated that.

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rw11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

m43 is the answer

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:57 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I'm pretty happy using my iphone instead of an slr on family vacations.

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:00 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I usually only take a x100t on vacation so that I can pack light and enjoy my family
I would just use my phone, but I like that the fuji can shoot raw.

Edited on Oct 06, 2016 at 10:40 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:04 PM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I would say go for both, or even a small mirrorless for when you think you might want to take photos on vacation or with family. I haven't really gone through this issue though, as I usually just decide: "Is this a vacation/sightseeing trip" or "Is this a photography trip". They usually don't overlap for me, but there have been times on photo-excursions when I just didn't feel like lugging around all the dslr gear, and in those instances I used my old Sony NEX-6 with the pancake lens. Was good enough quality to keep me happy and was small/light enough that it fit into a jacket pocket.

I couldn't just get rid of everything though, because I'd worry about those times when I'd think "Man, I wish I still had my other gear...it would've been great for this"

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:04 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

There are many times when I want to go light I just take a p/s. I also have a Fuji XT-1 which is a great camera and is smaller than my Nikons but a good p/s sure comes in handy many times. I have the Sony RX100 II which is great and small and the new Canon G7X II looks like a good choice as well.

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:07 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Most photographers I know (including myself) supplement their DSLR systems with 1-2 smaller cameras or P&S. Another thing you can do is try focus on taking fewer, better, pictures if you don't like going through thousands of photo on every vacation. Look back and see which ones you ended up keeping from other vacations, and try focus on shots like that. Use your smartphone or P&S for random pictures of things that may not matter as much, like food for example. You probably don't need to spend 10 minutes processing a photo of a cool dessert you had if you're just going to share it with friends via email or something (just for example).

You can also shoot in RAW + JPEG, so if the picture comes out 'good enough', you don't have to bother processing it, depending on it's final intended usage.

One thing you can do that might help is use Lightroom to show you what focal lengths you most often take pictures with. Then, you can use that information to perhaps better choose a P&S with a lens whose focal length most closely matches your shooting style.

How I typically operate is if I'm going to somewhere special, or somewhere I've never been, I bring my DSLR. If I'm going for a walk with the girlfriend, somewhere I already have pictures of, or out to dinner or something, I bring a smaller camera. Basically if the primary purpose is spending time with other people, I bring a small camera. If it's a free for all, I bring my DSLR. It would be difficult for me to work exclusively with one camera or the other and I wouldn't want to have to make that choice

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:12 PM
PIOK
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I bought Sony Rx100 III ( great camera when you don't want to carry DSLR - it's very small ) _ Get one and Enjoy. I Do always carry 2 DSLR ( but now I will carry only 1 DSLR + f4 lenses and Sony RX100 3 )

To places where I go more than once I take only Sony Rx 100 and really enjoy

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:17 PM
eltano
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

Thank you all for those suggestions.

I almost felt out of my chair when I looked at the price of the Sony camera = You Pay: $3,898.00 (B&H).

Wow, that made me think twice about my dilemma.

The V1 looks interesting at less than $500 now.

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:19 PM
glennh56
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

eltano wrote:
After my last vacation trip to Montreal Province (really beautiful places) carrying my D7K with a 17-55, my bag with a 70-200 F4, extra memories cards, and also extra batteries I realized that I was not really enjoying the views and the company of my wife.

I was too much concentrated taking pictures left and right, looking for the best scene, checking on the camera's settings and nothing else.

Once I got back home, I did not enjoyed going thru the 1000's of pics and retouching the chosen ones, soooo ... last week we traveled with my whole family to the Food
...Show more
Been there.

When vacationing in a city tried the backpack with camera and a few lenses. Got tired of walking and hauling it all around.

Next city vacation, I got the P7700. Clipped to my belt, easily accessible and takes decent pics.

No regrets if the primary goal is NOT photography.

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:42 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Considering very seriously to sell all my gear to go for a P&S

I bought a Canon G7XII for the exact same reasons you describe... it's tiny. I won't sell my Nikon stuff any time soon, but for the times you don't want to carry anything big... this is the way to go.

As for IQ... I shot this pic from a Jet Ski this week... likely the best pic I have ever taken.

http://donzo98.easycgi.com/TestImages/Rosh10.JPG

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:26 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password