FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

It is one of deadliest snakes in Costa Rica; definitely not something you mess around with.... It was dark under the rainforest canopy and I had to crank up the ISO to just get decent images.

AGeoJO 2016

ILCE-7RM2    FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS lens    90mm    f/8.0    1/250s    10000 ISO    0.0 EV  

AGeoJO 2016

ILCE-7RM2    FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS lens    90mm    f/8.0    1/250s    10000 ISO    0.0 EV  

AGeoJO 2016

ILCE-7RM2    FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS lens    90mm    f/8.0    1/200s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 06, 2016 at 07:27 PM
talfulano
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

Those are beautiful and how kind of him to pose on a heliconia flower.

Oct 06, 2016 at 07:30 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

Fabulous shots of one of my favorite snakes. I don't think they are very aggressive though. I saw someone literally hold a point and shoot within inches of one and it didn't move a muscle. Venom is too expensive to waste.
I am very impressed by the ability to get such great color even at 10,000 ISO. Really well done.
Eric

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:12 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

Beautiful shots. Since I'm shopping for a new camera, I had to notice that this is great camera performance at very high ISO's. Even if you did noise removal (?) for the ISO 128000 image, there is still plenty of fine detail. I don't know how much safe working distance you had from the subject, but it looks like it would have been a good subject for focus stacking.

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:15 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

talfulano wrote:
Those are beautiful and how kind of him to pose on a heliconia flower.

Thank you very much, talfulano! Yes, it did pose for me with a little encouragement .

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:59 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

eyelaser wrote:
Fabulous shots of one of my favorite snakes. I don't think they are very aggressive though. I saw someone literally hold a point and shoot within inches of one and it didn't move a muscle. Venom is too expensive to waste.
I am very impressed by the ability to get such great color even at 10,000 ISO. Really well done.
Eric

Thank you very much, Eric! Yes, it is not that aggressive and my understanding the venom is more used for its prey and humans are not but still....

jdc562 wrote:
Beautiful shots. Since I'm shopping for a new camera, I had to notice that this is great camera performance at very high ISO's. Even if you did noise removal (?) for the ISO 128000 image, there is still plenty of fine detail. I don't know how much safe working distance you had from the subject, but it looks like it would have been a good subject for focus stacking.

Thank you very much, John! I did run the files through Nik's Dfine alright but I am still impressed with the unobtrusive noise level of the files even prior to that. I had my tripod tight up for that series or focus stacking would have been a great idea., you are right. The lens and body I was using have image stabilization and I selected the shutter speed that would minimize camera/lens and object movement.

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:18 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

very nice images Joshua

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:04 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

Spooky!

Morris

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:28 AM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

Beautiful snake, couldn't tell he is a man-killer! Great capture for that high of an ISO. You were brave to get anywhere within striking distance.

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mudflap
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

Nice shots! In the first 2 shots it looks a little on the grumpy side!! Like it is thinking "YOU GOT A PROBLEM?"

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:59 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

kmunroe wrote:
very nice images Joshua

Thank you very much, Kenny!

morris wrote:
Spooky!

Morris

Yes, it was, Morris! Thank you!

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:05 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

I'm really liking these Joshua ~ Ron

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:17 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

billsamuels wrote:
Beautiful snake, couldn't tell he is a man-killer! Great capture for that high of an ISO. You were brave to get anywhere within striking distance.

Thank you very much, Bill! Honestly, I felt a tad vulnerable, especially had I held the camera right at my face. I figured, had it attacked me, it would have attacked the lens hood. But still, I felt safer to use the monitor of my camera to compose and focus and by so doing the distance from me was increased.

Mudflap wrote:
Nice shots! In the first 2 shots it looks a little on the grumpy side!! Like it is thinking "YOU GOT A PROBLEM?"

Thank you very much, Jim. Yup, it certainly looked vicious.

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:36 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

Nice shots.

Birdie

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:03 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

birdied wrote:
Nice shots.

Birdie

Thank you, Birdie!

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:57 AM
talfulano
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

I wonder if that is Bothriechis schlegelii. My maid swears she saw one curled up at the edge of my woods one time but I've never seen it.

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:40 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Venomous Eyelash Pit Viper

talfulano wrote:
I wonder if that is Bothriechis schlegelii. My maid swears she saw one curled up at the edge of my woods one time but I've never seen it.

I am not familiar with the taxonomy of snakes and thank you very much for identifying the viper. I looked it up and it certainly looks like you came up with the right name. Bravo!

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:43 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password