Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Professional P-series Epson printer vs Canon ImageProGraf...

rongwam
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Professional P-series Epson printer vs Canon ImageProGraf PRO Series Printers

I am in the market for a wide-format professional printer and debate choosing between Epson P-series (P7000 or P9000) printer vs Canon ImageProGraf PRO Series Printers. My main use of the printer is to print fine art photos, colored landscape or portraits and occasionally abstract B&W. I would love to hear some thoughts and suggestions from experienced FMers. If the recommendation is to go with Epson, then would you think that buying the P9000 is a better cost option than P7000 (when you factor in cost of both printer and startup inks) even though most prints will be less than 24". Thanks in advance.

Oct 06, 2016 at 06:16 PM
dmcphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Professional P-series Epson printer vs Canon ImageProGraf PRO Series Printers

I had the same decision to make early last July. After much debate I chose the P7000. My deciding factors included Epson's color gamut, fade resistance, and straight through paper path. Another factor that's probably irrelevant to you is that I have a lot of Epson experience (Epson 7900 for the previous 7.5 years and other models before that) so there was no learning curve. The P7000 is just like the previous printer but with wider color gamut, twice the print longevity, and so far without any nuisance clogging issues.

You'll probably be happy with whatever printer you pick. Both are good. It's just a matter of deciding which features are most important to you.

IMO the only reason to get an Epson P9000 rather than a P7000 is to make prints wider than 24". From a cost standpoint the P9000 is about $1400 more. The starter ink cartridges for both models contain the same amount of ink, but ink lines in the P9000 are a little longer so take a bit more to fill. Unless I'm missing something there's no cost incentive and it's purely a matter of how wide you need to print.

It's worth being aware that the P9000 is considerably larger and heavier. At my location the printer had to go down a flight of normal stairs that are not wide enough for the printer and a person on both sides of it. Actually, a normal set of stairs or a hallway in a normal home are only wide enough for the printer alone. That means two very strong people (one on each end) had to carry it down the stairs. That's absolutely impossible with a P9000 due to the weight.

Good luck!

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:13 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Professional P-series Epson printer vs Canon ImageProGraf PRO Series Printers

Thank you very much for your great feedback. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestion on the Epson P7000. In fact, I am leaning toward getting the P7000 over the P9000.

dmcphoto wrote:
I had the same decision to make early last July. After much debate I chose the P7000. My deciding factors included Epson's color gamut, fade resistance, and straight through paper path. Another factor that's probably irrelevant to you is that I have a lot of Epson experience (Epson 7900 for the previous 7.5 years and other models before that) so there was no learning curve. The P7000 is just like the previous printer but with wider color gamut, twice the print longevity, and so far without any nuisance clogging issues.

You'll probably be happy with whatever printer you pick. Both
...Show more

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:33 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Professional P-series Epson printer vs Canon ImageProGraf PRO Series Printers

If you are considering doing stretched canvas---the P9000 is a much better choice.

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rongwam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Professional P-series Epson printer vs Canon ImageProGraf PRO Series Printers

May I ask why you think P9000 is a better choice for canvas printing?
kdphotography wrote:
If you are considering doing stretched canvas---the P9000 is a much better choice.

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:43 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Professional P-series Epson printer vs Canon ImageProGraf PRO Series Printers

It's purely a matter of size. The P7000 has a 24" wide carriage; the P9000 has a 44" wide carriage. A stretched canvas adds about 4" or more of canvas to the image size (2" + more canvas each side) in order to accommodate the wrap around the bars.

A 24" wide printer is thus very limited when it comes to printing wrapped canvas---small sizes only.

When I first started out printing, my biggest mistake was purchasing a 24" printer, the Epson 7800. For canvas it simply was too limiting. I sold it within a month (big loss) and got the printer that I should have in the first place, a 9800. With each subsequent upgrade, acquiring the larger printer was never a question. 9900 was an improvement. The P9000 is the best yet.

As long as space is not an issue, I'd go for the P9000. Initial purchase price aside, operation and maintenance costs will be the same.

Ken
www.carmelfineartprinting.com

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:17 AM
dmcphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Professional P-series Epson printer vs Canon ImageProGraf PRO Series Printers

Yes... your printer gets about 4" smaller in terms of maximum image size if you print canvas. I've never had any desire to do canvas so it's not an issue for me. If you like canvas or are printing for others it'd be a different story. As always YMMV.

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password