New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · XQD cards and readers

pjheller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XQD cards and readers

Any new recommendations on XQD cards and readers?

Oct 06, 2016 at 06:15 PM
John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XQD cards and readers

Saw the topic... had to jump in.

New? I'm not sure if there are any thing new besides the change over from the USB symbolized cards(newer) and to the non branded USB logo (older slower cards.)

I will say that as of 4 months ago, I've sold off 12 cards that were of LEXAR brand, and bought up older/newer-older SONY cards to replace them. I've had 2 occasions where a card, or their modular readers has failed me... once due to a socket issue, and another for no explainable reason, and after DAYS.... yes, days on the phone with various jackasses over there is was not at a level of support that I've become accustomed to.

In my world, RMA repairs and 3 week turn-around times are for soccer moms and weekend shooters. I depend and work my gear daily.. I've no time whatsoever for long lines and excuses, $30.00 express shipping to them -- only to wait 3 weeks.

And for those that have only flawless service out of them? Well, just wait until it hits the fan.

With over 2K invested in memory cards and readers, I would think that 'quick like skippy' would be in their vocabulary when dealing with people on this level.

No... it isn't. So sign me up for multiple root canals on the same day before they'll ever see dime one from me.

Oct 06, 2016 at 06:36 PM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XQD cards and readers

My experience with Lexar was similar.

I only use Sony cards now.

Oct 06, 2016 at 07:10 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XQD cards and readers

Sony cards comes with USB-3 reader.
I'm using 2 Sony XQD 32GB G-series QD-G32A version 2 for about 6 months now.
No problems so far (knock on wood).

Oct 06, 2016 at 07:16 PM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XQD cards and readers

John Skinner wrote:
I will say that as of 4 months ago, I've sold off 12 cards that were of LEXAR brand, and bought up older/newer-older SONY cards to replace them. I've had 2 occasions where a card, or their modular readers has failed me... once due to a socket issue, and another for no explainable reason

Can you extrapolate on the socket issue? Were these the 128g Lexar 2933's?

Oct 06, 2016 at 07:25 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XQD cards and readers

Chris Dees wrote:

Where did you find the cards coming with the reader?

Oct 06, 2016 at 07:31 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · XQD cards and readers

pjheller wrote:
Where did you find the cards coming with the reader?

AFAIK everywhere
I bought them in Holland, but B&H has them as well.
It sais "Includes Dedicated USB 3.0 Adapter".

Oct 06, 2016 at 07:57 PM
glennh56
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · XQD cards and readers

Chris Dees wrote:

Same here, 32 GB card and reader, good to go. From B&H.

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:47 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · XQD cards and readers

I just got a d500
I am using an SD card that I already had.
I bought an XQD card. I don't think I'm going to invest in a reader right now.
I can just use the SD card reader that I already have, or put the SD card into my benQ monitor which has a slot for it.
if my SD card fails, I'll use a cable to hook up to my camera to retrieve the images, it's usb 3.0.

If they come out with a usb3.0 reader that does CF/SD/XQD, maybe I'll get that down the line.

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:19 AM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · XQD cards and readers

John Skinner wrote:
Saw the topic... had to jump in.

New? I'm not sure if there are any thing new besides the change over from the USB symbolized cards(newer) and to the non branded USB logo (older slower cards.)

I will say that as of 4 months ago, I've sold off 12 cards that were of LEXAR brand, and bought up older/newer-older SONY cards to replace them. I've had 2 occasions where a card, or their modular readers has failed me... once due to a socket issue, and another for no explainable reason, and after DAYS.... yes, days on the phone with various jackasses
...Show more

were you using their pro cards?
so weird!

I have been using lexar pro branded cf and sd cards all year , NO issues at all.

actually...
I had an issue with one in my D500, but it was the D500 firmware, that was the issue.
nikon knew about it and fixed it.
updated the body, and no issues since.

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · XQD cards and readers

So far I have found no reason to buy an xqd.

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:52 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · XQD cards and readers

I have 64 gig Sony G, S and M cards. All 3 came with readers. Nothing has failed, expect to use for a long while yet.
Unless you have to have the latest, greatest and fastest, you can do well with a quality SD media.
The end

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:27 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · XQD cards and readers

double post woops

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:35 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · XQD cards and readers

I just found out that the older, slower Sony "G" XQD cards cannot be read by the newer '90 series readers. You need an older '(discontinued) 80 series reader. Buyer/User beware.

Oct 08, 2016 at 03:33 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · XQD cards and readers

SoundHound wrote:
I just found out that the older, slower Sony "G" XQD cards cannot be read by the newer '90 series readers. You need an older '(discontinued) 80 series reader. Buyer/User beware.

The latest card I bought is a G series, come with a 'USB Adapter for G series' reader. This card does work in older readers, too.

Oct 08, 2016 at 11:18 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · XQD cards and readers

SO to answer the few posted to me..

They were X1000 UDMA7 cards, and I had 2 failures.
One XQD just puked out.
The reader were it goes into the larger hub, on the back of the XQD card reader, the pins/socket became corrupt.

Keep in mind -- this is hard daily use (which the equipment is made for). But my issues are with the RMA process, costs back to them, and the avg. 3 week turn-around.

THAT'S horse pucks. I don't deal with people that treat customers that way.

Between cards/readers, I was into them for well over 2K. I was born at night, but not lastnight. So for all those reasons -- I'm out.

Oct 08, 2016 at 04:42 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · XQD cards and readers

Yes that's right "Charles Loy." The new'(er) "G" card will work (more slowly) in the old '80 series reader. But the old "H" card will not work in the newer ('90 series) reader.

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:23 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · XQD cards and readers

For my D500, I use a Lexar 64GB 2933 XQD card, and have not suffered any anomalies to date. I also invested in the Sony XQD/SD reader (MRWE90) for a princely sum. The reader is very fast, well made, and is claimed to support XQD 1.0 and 2.0.

Oct 09, 2016 at 02:10 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · XQD cards and readers

Thanks "SoundHound" I was not aware there was an older G card. This (learning more) is always fun.

Oct 09, 2016 at 02:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · XQD cards and readers

I have 4 Lexar 2933x XQD no issues to date. I used them on the D4s and currently using them on the D500. I also have 2 Sony G series cards 1st gen. own both Lexar and sony readers. the lexars go first in first out in usage.

I have seen 2 XQD cards that were junked out so far. both were due to the user attempting to force the issue.

I will have to admit I have reduced myself to the D500 as the current first line tool. for now

Oct 09, 2016 at 10:58 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password