Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

mitesh wrote:
I was wondering why I couldn't find a simple SATA to Thunderbolt adapter.

There are plenty of them with a USB type-C connector (supports Thunderbolt 3) from China on eBay and also from US stores. Mine is a StarTech USB31CSAT3CB.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:48 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

peter_n wrote:
There are plenty of them with a USB type-C connector (supports Thunderbolt 3) from China on eBay and also from US stores. Mine is a StarTech USB31CSAT3CB.

You must have missed the part of my post which you partially quoted above that mentions I am looking for a solution that will allow me to use the thunderbolt ports on my laptop.

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:01 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

I'm confused That cable is USB C (TB) to SATA and has a bridge board included.

EBH

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:47 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

mitesh wrote:
You must have missed the part of my post which you partially quoted above that mentions I am looking for a solution that will allow me to use the thunderbolt ports on my laptop.

You are correct, my bad and I apologize for that. There's frequent turnover in connection hardware, every time I buy a new motherboard there seems to be some kind of new connector socket on the back panel. You might want to look into wiring your own interface - see below.

EB-1 wrote:
I'm confused That cable is USB C (TB) to SATA and has a bridge board included.

Yes. Bridge board/cable kits from Intel are widely available and that might be a solution for the problem mitesh has.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:45 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

peter_n wrote:
Bridge board/cable kits from Intel are widely available and that might be a solution for the problem mitesh has.

That's an idea that would be worth looking into. Thanks for the tip!

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:06 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

tag for reference

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:31 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

mitesh wrote:
---------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info above, Ron and Steve. Not being too knowledgeable about this stuff, I was wondering why I couldn't find a simple SATA to Thunderbolt adapter. There seem to be plenty of inexpensive and simple SATA to USB3 adapters. Wouldn't Thunderbolt maximize the transfer speeds of the SATA SSD? It would also be useful as I have two unused Thunderbolt ports, while my two USB ports always seem to have devices competing for them (would prefer not to use a hub). I would like to use the SSD to house current year's RAW files and LR library so
...Show more

I have not come across such a TB-SATA solution such as that Startech USB-SATA cable I posted a link to earlier. The closest is perhaps one of these Kanex TB-USB3 adapters, to which I then attach the Startech USB3-SATA cable. They also make a TB-eSATA variant, but it won't work with a bare HDD/SSD because you will still need to power the drive.

Unfortunately it seems TB in the configuration of TB1 and TB2 will just be slowly phased out in favor of TB3/USBC.

You might get slightly faster transfer speeds off an SSD over TB than USB3, but it would be marginal for a single drive configuration. I don't think it would make a real-world difference. That said, if you put an SSD on the same bus as a bunch of other devices connected by USB3, you'll probably get slowdowns. It seems TB handles this a bit better. If you're copying between a couple external devices, it might be better/faster to have one connected via TB and the other via USB since both on USB (assuming it's a shared bus) would probably cause slowdowns.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:13 AM
bootster
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

If you want small, the M.2 is the fastest and the smallest solution. The Startech enclosure is the perfect solution. Just pick out your SSD and put it in the enclosure, and you're good to go.

The best solution I've found, is the typical SSD that goes in an enclosure, or use the bare cable as discussed before. I use this Startech military grade enclosure that protects it from the elements, as well as dropping/falling to the ground. Again, just pick your SSD drive and put it in the enclosure. I use Samsung 850 Pro drives, but I'm a hardware snob. Good luck.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:34 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

It's only 1TB max. though. The T1 is smaller at that capacity.

EBH

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bootster
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

The creme de la creme is the Samsung 960 2TB m.2 SSD in the Startech external enclosure. Its sequential speeds are rated for up to 3500MB/s read and 2100MB/s write across all capacities. Random read and write speeds are listed for up to 440K/360K IOPS.

I know this is a bit on the technical side, but this is something special for the hardware enthusiast/speed demon. This little portable drive is a dream come true for people who want the best speed and size on an external storage device. The only reason that the conventional SSD is the 2.5 inch size was to keep it a standardized size that coincided with a 2.5" HDD rotational drive. There is a ton of wasted space in the enclosure these drives are housed in. The new m.2 drives themselves are as big as a piece of Wrigley's chewing gum!

Fortunately for me, my X99 Intel platform motherboard supports this drive, and I will be preordering for a Nov 4 arrival. My Surface Pro 4 uses the Samsung m.2 951 SSD, a bit slower.

Oct 25, 2016 at 03:20 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

bootster wrote:
The creme de la creme is the Samsung 960 2TB m.2 SSD in the Startech external enclosure. Its sequential speeds are rated for up to 3500MB/s read and 2100MB/s write across all capacities. Random read and write speeds are listed for up to 440K/360K IOPS.

What sustained transfer rates are you expecting? I doubt it will anywhere near the native specs. I'd like to see some thermal conductivity to the case or it may overheat. Then again, what would you be using as a source to copy to it, a similar internal drive?

EBH

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:06 AM
kedan
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

I've had Intel,Samsung,Kingston, and Crusial SSD's fail. Of course at much lesser rate than spinning hard drives. I would put my money on Samsung or Intel SSD's still.

If you're just needing something for backup, then why not just invest money into more SD cards and not reuse them till you get home. Or is your PC main drive too small. ?

Oct 27, 2016 at 09:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

kedan wrote:
I...If you're just needing something for backup, then why not just invest money into more SD cards and not reuse them till you get home.

I always endeavor to take enough card space to cover all of my anticipated needs for a photo trip, but I don't regard that as backup. Until I get home and dump everything into my archive system, I keep all images on the cards, and I also back them up to either my phone, which will mount a card reader and has about 110 GB free space, or to some other device, like a notebook.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:44 PM
bootster
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

Likewise, I carry a backup external to dump files off of memory cards at the end of the day, and currently am just using the traditional SSD in the military rated Startech. Then when I get home, it off to the desktop they go, somewhere in the 13 TB of space I have there.

I don't like investing in memory cards, as they are outdated easily. I can always keep movies and things on "outdated SSD's", and store them like a bank of VHS tapes of old.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:07 PM
bootster
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

EB-1 wrote:
What sustained transfer rates are you expecting? I doubt it will anywhere near the native specs. I'd like to see some thermal conductivity to the case or it may overheat. Then again, what would you be using as a source to copy to it, a similar internal drive?

EBH

You are correct. It is theoretical, but I'm sure you'll notice an increase in speed, albeit marginal. I don't know how much heat the little gumstick devices put out, as I don't have one yet. I can't be sure about it, but it's a solid aluminum case in regards to the Startech, so it probably does a fair amount of substantial transfer until it heats up severely seeing how fast it is, but again, that's just speculation on my part.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:14 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

Thanks to those who have contributed to this thread so far. I just got the Crucial MX300 in the 2TB flavor plus the Startech USB 3 adapter. Should serve the purpose just fine.

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:27 PM
bootster
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

mitesh wrote:
Thanks to those who have contributed to this thread so far. I just got the Crucial MX300 in the 2TB flavor plus the Startech USB 3 adapter. Should serve the purpose just fine.

I put a Crucial BX 100 in my wife's computer (my previous one) and it's still going strong. If you got the cable adapter only from Startech, that is a good call as I have one in my accessory bag for my laptop and it works really well.

Good luck and I'm glad some of the folks on the forum could help with your decision.

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

mitesh wrote:

EBH

Oct 27, 2016 at 09:23 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password