Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

Looking for an external SSD for travel. I previously had a 1TB backup plus slim, but it failed on the very first trip. Just so weary of traveling with a backup device with moving parts that clearly failed me... 0 for 1!

Looking into portable SSDs, it seems to always come back to the Samsung T3. But the 1TB here is closer to $500, far more than the disk counterpart. Is there a more budget-friendly option?

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:36 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

Grab an mSata SSD. Then stick it in a USB case. The result is a small (about the same size as pack of chewing gum), very fast, non-moving parts external HD. With some looking you can find the drive for about $300 and the adaptor for about $20.

Peace,

Todd

Oct 06, 2016 at 06:00 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

Todd Warnke wrote:
Grab an mSata SSD. Then stick it in a USB case. The result is a small (about the same size as pack of chewing gum), very fast, non-moving parts external HD. With some looking you can find the drive for about $300 and the adaptor for about $20.

Peace,

Todd

Hmm not as familiar with that sort of setup. Any specific recommendations?

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:38 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

Make sure you have a good combination. SSD incompatibility/poor performance with various enclosures/chipsets is a common complaint.

EBH

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:01 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

This is what I use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147821213@N02/30078064421/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147821213@N02/29866901450/in/dateposted-public/

That's 500GB is a space smaller than a lighter. As for recommendations, I like the Samsung SSDs (with no battery they don't catch on fire) or Crucial ones, and that ZTC adaptor is wonderful.

Peace,

Todd

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

make sure you get the USB3 adapter.

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:27 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

You can pick up 512GB USB sticks for $250. If it's for backup purposes a pair of those might suit your needs better?

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:12 AM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Looking for an external SSD for travel. I previously had a 1TB backup plus slim, but it failed on the very first trip. Just so weary of traveling with a backup device with moving parts that clearly failed me... 0 for 1!

Looking into portable SSDs, it seems to always come back to the Samsung T3. But the 1TB here is closer to $500, far more than the disk counterpart. Is there a more budget-friendly option?

This is why I always keep 3 copies of my files. There is one a notebook drive and a copy on each of two portable drives. SSDs are better than rotating drives in terms of taking some physical abuse, but you still need to guard against losses that are not due to hardware failure, such as theft. I always keep one copy on my person and the other two not in the same bag. Chances of something happening to all three are remote.

I have been using portable drives of ever increasing size since the days of Canon's 10D. My next portable drives will be SSD, but I'm still using a set of WD rotating drives that are now a couple years old. I must be lucky because (knocking on wood) I have never had one fail in 13 years.

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:50 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

I'm thinking about swapping my 1tb hdd for a 980gb SSD in my hyperdrive setup. I like the hyperdrive as I download card to it as they are shot then import from there in to LR that way at the time of importation completetion I have at least four copies one dng working copy , one backup copy, the original on the card and then sone the fourth on a seperate drive that can be located off site if not copies on the sd disc if I'm needing jpg or backup to be safe.

Oct 08, 2016 at 05:10 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

Several years ago I put a Crucial 960GB drive in a Hyperdrive UDMA and it worked fine. The same SSD was finicky in other devices, but the Hyperdrive has a good power supply.

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 05:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Is there a more budget-friendly option?

In SSD form, then it will be at the lower end of the SSD product ranges, though not sure how relevant or problematic that is in real life. Here's a 960GB Sandisk Ultra II at Amazon Canada for $315. To use it bare, buy the cable linked a bit lower down. Or put it in a USB3 enclosure for similar cost. If $$ is a concern, then perhaps a couple 1TB HDDs instead of relying on only one.

Todd Warnke wrote:
This is what I use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147821213@N02/30078064421/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147821213@N02/29866901450/in/dateposted-public/

That's 500GB is a space smaller than a lighter. As for recommendations, I like the Samsung SSDs (with no battery they don't catch on fire) or Crucial ones, and that ZTC adaptor is wonderful.

Peace,

Todd

I went this route with the Samsung 840 Evo mSATA and it sure was very small and easy to pack... The ZTC enclosure didn't like that mSATA, but another very similar enclosure but under a different brand name worked. But after that I ran into Samsung's flaky firmware problems with that SSD iteration that resulted in really slow write speeds... which was a couple years ago and I still haven't tried their FW update because of mixed reviews about its effectiveness. Plus I don't have a Windows computer on which to run the update (Mac only here...). Also, that mSATA ran extremely hot, which was a bit concerning, but apparently not so uncommon with mSATAs. Not sure how much better, if at all, newer mSATA versions are.

Instead I've bought a few of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 2.5" SSDs and use them bare (not in an enclosure) with a USB3-SATA adapter cable - this one specifically. It also works with any other bare 2.5" HDD...

IMO there is no need to put a 2.5" SSD in an enclosure since the memory chips are already enclosed...

I believe a problem with most of the USB sticks are relatively slow write speeds... though I think there are a handful that might be pretty fast, but of course are more costly.

Alternatively, you could spend some $$$ on a high capacity CF or SDXC memory card and use it as a backup and/or second card in the camera, if your camera has two card slots.

Oct 08, 2016 at 05:51 AM
Goodrich

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

samsung T3 does the job, at whatever capacity your wallet can sustain.

Oct 09, 2016 at 05:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

There is no 4TB yet though.

EBH

Oct 09, 2016 at 07:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

Crucial MX300 SSD
525GB $120
750GB $170
1TB $248
2TB $549

B&H

there is no need or want to go exotic here.

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:03 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

sjms wrote:
Crucial MX300 SSD
525GB $120
750GB $170
1TB $248
2TB $549

B&H

Yes, especially for an external drive. I have a Samsung 850 Pro 2TB, that was the largest and fastest SATA SSD about 11 months ago. I swap it between being the laptop's boot drive and main drive for a Nexto when the laptop is not used.

EBH

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:18 AM
Odyssey1812

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

There actually is a 4 TB SSD out, from Samsung, the 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III, linked below. Unfortunately, as of today, it retails for $1399.99 USD.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259799-REG/samsung_mz_75e4t0b_am_4tb_850_evo_2_5.html

Oct 11, 2016 at 04:00 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

Odyssey1812 wrote:
There actually is a 4 TB SSD out, from Samsung, the 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III, linked below. Unfortunately, as of today, it retails for $1399.99 USD.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259799-REG/samsung_mz_75e4t0b_am_4tb_850_evo_2_5.html

Yes, but T3 is only up to 2tB. At least the 4TB 850 is $1400 rather than $1500 originally.

EBH

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:27 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

rscheffler wrote:
Instead I've bought a few of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 2.5" SSDs and use them bare (not in an enclosure) with a USB3-SATA adapter cable - this one specifically. It also works with any other bare 2.5" HDD...

IMO there is no need to put a 2.5" SSD in an enclosure since the memory chips are already enclosed...

---------------------------------------------

sjms wrote:
Crucial MX300 SSD
525GB $120
750GB $170
1TB $248
2TB $549

B&H

Thanks for the info above, Ron and Steve. Not being too knowledgeable about this stuff, I was wondering why I couldn't find a simple SATA to Thunderbolt adapter. There seem to be plenty of inexpensive and simple SATA to USB3 adapters. Wouldn't Thunderbolt maximize the transfer speeds of the SATA SSD? It would also be useful as I have two unused Thunderbolt ports, while my two USB ports always seem to have devices competing for them (would prefer not to use a hub). I would like to use the SSD to house current year's RAW files and LR library so that I can just plug it into whichever computer I happen to be using and have everything available.

Thanks in advance for any further info.

Oct 11, 2016 at 02:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

external cases look into Other World Computing
www.macsales.com

Oct 11, 2016 at 02:51 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · External SSD (mainly for travel?)

sjms wrote:
external cases look into Other World Computing
www.macsales.com

Thanks, I had looked there already, and while they do have some nice (and expensive) enclosures, I was hoping to find a simpler solution like the cable adapter Ron linked to in his post above. I suppose there is no such thing, so maybe I'll have to go with the SATA to USB3 adapter.

Oct 11, 2016 at 03:13 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password