FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       end

Archive 2016 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

juststeve
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

I had an attack of curiosity a bit ago and measured the EOS EF-M mount and the old Canon FD mount diameter. Both were 47 mm. It seems to me FD mount lenses covered what we now call full frame.

Now one conclusion a person could jump to with such information is that a 24x36 sensor behind the EF-M mount is possible. But some of us will also remember how quite small many of those FD lenses were. Of course, focusing motors in lenses take up space and meeting the higher demands of modern digital sensors versus film demands more sophisticated lens designs which often mean more elements and more complex construction. And more bulk.

Still, there is hope there can be relatively compact and higher speed lenses coming for the M cameras. And one can look at Fuji which is making some high speed but still relatively compact lenses for a similar sensor size. Hopefully Canon will see Fuji having success with series of F1.4 and F2 lenses and follow along.

I imagine my lens of choice for tele work with the M5 will be an adapted 100-400/4.5-5.6 L ii, but the 400/5.6 approach seems like a great one as the lens packaged will be much smaller and lighter. If I were to go crazy, the 400 DO ii might be the ultimate pairing. Thanks Medicine Man for putting that idea in my head. Taking advantage of DO technology might be a great place for Canon to go for the M cameras.

Thinking about single focal length lenses for the M has me coming up with a line-up of 35 and 50-55 mm F1.8 or 2 lenses to start. Then I would like to see a 14/2 and a 10/2.8 and a 60/2.8 macro like the current EF-S lens but in native M mount and a bit smaller. Then could there be a 90 or 100/2 which would still be a bit smaller than the EF lenses of similar speed and length? Somewhere around that length is where the advantage of the smaller mount starts to disappear.

Nov 30, 2016 at 04:24 PM
nads
• • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

I'm just bitter that it appears mine isn't shipping from B&H for another week or so.

Nov 30, 2016 at 05:10 PM
nads
• • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

MedicineMan404 wrote:
^looks like we'll need a battery grip
I'm sure when it's an M5 day the pockets will have 3-4 extra batteries reminding of carrying a Sony.
I too added the 15-45mm. At $99 a no brainer. Also the 55-200mm but like others here plan to adapt EF lenses mainly. The MTF's Canon publishes look good and we know it's slow going in.
So are these mounts plastic or carbon fiber or some variant-combo of the two? Matters not, the bottom line on the 550-200mm was 260 grams, light enough for backpacking. With the 22/2 already here on the M3 that would make
...Show more

I'm not going to sweat too much about battery capacity.

I took the M3 to Disneyland last August and as we were getting ready to walk from the hotel to the park I realized I left both my spare battery and the charger in a hotel in Arizona.

I made it through the day, the fireworks... then I made it through the entire next day and the fireworks for a 2nd night. The third day I was at the airport and still able to transfer images from the camera to my ipad via wifi.

I've got 785 photos in lightroom from those days all on a single charge. I'm good with the capacity, but I do have a spare if I need it!

Nov 30, 2016 at 05:18 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

I want to see a M5 field report with older EF lenses

Nov 30, 2016 at 07:27 PM
amalgam
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

learning more about the AF - it's vertically sensitive. was shooting at some blinds at it had some difficulty until i rotated the camera slightly. doesn't happen a lot, but worth mentioning. i think the dual pixels are arrayed the same across the sensor.

Dec 01, 2016 at 01:01 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

@juststeve: The EF-M and FE mounts are very similar. You can draw your own conclusions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_E-mount#Comparison_with_similar_lens_mounts

Dec 01, 2016 at 01:14 PM
jamato8
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

Does it have GPS?

Dec 01, 2016 at 01:20 PM
amalgam
• • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

no gps, but you can use the connected app to tag/sync

Dec 01, 2016 at 02:11 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

amalgam wrote:

A connected app from a phone?

Dec 01, 2016 at 05:03 PM
amalgam
• • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

yea the free canon camera connect app

Dec 01, 2016 at 05:20 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

amalgam wrote:

Does the Canon app offer the ability to geo-tag your photos? Is it just on-import, or is there a way to tag as shot, so the location is actually correct? I know the camera is supposed to have BLE 4.0 (or 4.1?) so that it stays connected to the phone, right?

EDIT: Looking at Canon's site for it, looks like the app will record locations along a timeline, so that when you sync photos it should tag appropriately. That is awesome.

Dec 02, 2016 at 10:09 AM
Ulan
• •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

Just bought the M5 yesterday evening. This is one of my very first shots. Lens is 18-55 M. Still have to tweak the gear. And discover its secrets. Will come back to you later.

Test Cano9 M5 #1 by Inti Runa, sur Flickr

Dec 03, 2016 at 07:29 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

No offense but that's really soft and the belly seems full of artifacts

Edited on Dec 03, 2016 at 07:46 AM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2016 at 07:45 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

I started an official image thread for the M5....hope to see lots of photos from members as I wait for mine to arrive...possibly not till Jan according to my dealer

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1463331

Dec 03, 2016 at 07:45 AM
Ulan
• •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

Dhphoto

Yes. I'm just experimenting. Transferred jpeg file with WIFi from M5 to smartphone, then shared to Flickr and then to FM. I'll check the problem.

Dec 03, 2016 at 08:12 AM
amalgam
• • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · EOS M5 Field Report: CPN

ISO1600 wrote:
Does the Canon app offer the ability to geo-tag your photos? Is it just on-import, or is there a way to tag as shot, so the location is actually correct? I know the camera is supposed to have BLE 4.0 (or 4.1?) so that it stays connected to the phone, right?

EDIT: Looking at Canon's site for it, looks like the app will record locations along a timeline, so that when you sync photos it should tag appropriately. That is awesome.

yes, it's supposed to facilitate the connection to wifi. on iOS it's more cumbersome. I don't have an android phone so I don't know how seamless it is on there. but the bluetooth can be used as a remote as well.

yes, the geotagging is like other standalone taggers - you sync the time across devices and it logs GPS data separately until you sync to the photos.

Dec 03, 2016 at 10:32 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.