New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Profoto D2 Lights

RbrtPtikLeoSen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto D2 Lights

I just purchased the B1's four months ago and they have been fantastic. I have noticed situations where I needed more than the 500/ws to overpower the sun, or wished I could achieved better HSS results, and I thought to myself if these lights were 1000/ws they would be PERFECT!

Well, Profoto answered my wish... with the D2's that will soon be coming out. At the same price as the B1's! Darn it! Haha, I mean seriously, darn it!

Anyone else in this boat?

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:40 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto D2 Lights

True but the D2s use a power cord instead of a battery like the B1 but for most photographers that's probably just a minor inconvenience. I prefer the cordless feature but the best features of the B1 over the D1 is the display, TTL, HSS and the wider power range (goes down to 2). Looks the D2 will have all those and a very fast recycle time.

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:12 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto D2 Lights

No free lunch for sure if you need more power. I sometimes feel constrained with the B1 even when using leaf shutter lenses.

But the D2 with a battery pack, additional weight notwithstanding, at least you do move some of the weight off the head and can attach it lower on a light stand. The B1 is a bit heavy and unwieldy on top of a light stand, especially with a larger modifier and light wind... I much prefer the form factor of the B2. Fingers-crossed Profoto releases an B2 with more power, or an updated new Acute2 B600...

Ken

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:53 AM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto D2 Lights

with bigger modifiers, the B1 has been lacking in power especially during the day, but for the most part between it's (alright) amount of power and HSS, I can usually get the job done. Battery life is fine, even for studio stuff, since I dont have any AC-powered lights anymore, once I got rid of the Einsteins.

But with ND filters, I start having issues with the B1...so I went with the Broncolor Move for those applications (and it works better with my para ) --

I may start looking at at least one or two 1000ws D2 and use it with portable power, since i already have a ton of profoto modifiers that i can't let go to waste

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:18 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto D2 Lights

Before the B1/B2 systems that I use now, I had the D1 500w and 1000w strobes. I found I often needed the lowest setting of a 500w but rarely needed the max setting of a 1000w. Usually, to get a narrower DOF and didn't shoot in bright conditions very often. Something I discovered between the two strobes was that the 1000w D1 did not dial down as low as the 500w. So I wonder if you can dial the power down as low on the new 1000w D2 as you can on any of the new or old 500w or 250w models?

Also, the D2 has a 10 stop range whereas the D1's had 7 stops and the B1 has 9. So maybe it has a broader range from dim to bright or just a finer control over the same power range as the D1/B1s. The specs on their website doesn't give you any info on the lower limit.

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:13 PM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto D2 Lights

D2 1000 down to 2ws and the 500 down to 1ws.

Energy range:
D2 500 AirTTL: 10 f-stops (1-500Ws)
D2 1000 AirTTL: 10 f-stops (2-1000Ws)

Oct 14, 2016 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.