New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Nikon AF-S 600mm f4 G ED VR questions

morrismike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon AF-S 600mm f4 G ED VR questions

Mr. Perry sold me on the 600mm f4 and I really really like it. There are massive Benro tripods out there for a reasonable price and the Manfroto 393 head is reasonably priced if you're into that sort of thing. I can't wait until this winter to give it a proper workout. The folks above are also right about the D500, no reason to not use this wildlife. This lens and the D500 have crazy fast focusing.

The minus is the weight. I'm a pretty strong guy and handholding this get pretty old in a hurry. It is fine handheld from a car if that is your thing. With the VR it is fine handheld. If you're planning lots of long hikes, then maybe a 500 f4, 300 f4, 80-400g, 200-500 is a better choice. Lugging the 600 around for a 2 mile hike on anything other than flat terrain will spoil your trip.

Oct 08, 2016 at 08:02 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon AF-S 600mm f4 G ED VR questions

Asio_Otus wrote:
Since i will only shoot with tripod i think that weight, balance and better vr are not that important for me. The 600FL is pricewise also almost alone as expensive as the canon 600 II with 5d mkIII.

First it sounded as if it would be a good choice and now it sounds a bit like a big mistake to buy that lens?

Just to be clear, I cannot and am not telling you what to buy...that's for you to decide. Until now you hadn't really explained that the 600G might be satisfactory for your needs and the enhancements offered by the 600FL aren't important to you. Very well and good.

Anyway, I would suggest the most important thing is to decide which system you want to shoot -- which shouldn't have anything to do with the price/performance of a single lens -- then deal with the "which lens" question later.

Good luck!

Oct 08, 2016 at 08:50 AM
morrismike
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon AF-S 600mm f4 G ED VR questions

Definately borrow one first. I was playing around with a 2.0III tc and got this butterfly at 60 feet. I've been thinking of getting Kenko extension tubes for it.

Oct 08, 2016 at 11:20 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon AF-S 600mm f4 G ED VR questions

Please do yourself a favor and get a Wimberley Gimbal model 200-nothing like it. The Wimberley folks will refund your money if you find something better-but you won't. Ask them about a "Blem" which would be a scratch or two on the paint (likely you would put one there 1st time out) for a discount).

The Wimberley allow adjustment to mount your rig at the exact center of the center of gravity. Therefore effortless pan and tilt over a ver wide range. Unlike a head where you camera/lens it ready to plunge forward reverse with this Gimbal at the CG the rig reverts to neutral balance.

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:26 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon AF-S 600mm f4 G ED VR questions

SoundHound wrote:
Please do yourself a favor and get a Wimberley Gimbal model 200-nothing like it. The Wimberley folks will refund your money if you find something better-but you won't. Ask them about a "Blem" which would be a scratch or two on the paint (likely you would put one there 1st time out) for a discount).

The Wimberley allow adjustment to mount your rig at the exact center of the center of gravity. Therefore effortless pan and tilt over a ver wide range. Unlike a head where you camera/lens it ready to plunge forward reverse with this Gimbal at the CG the
...Show more

+1 - that's the head I use too

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:36 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.