Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morn...

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

lowside67 wrote:
Agree strongly - there are a few "repeat" offenders on this forum that do this over and over again. "My 7D can still take photos" "5D classic still gets the job done" etc. It's just a thinly veiled opportunity to have somebody stroke their ego and simultaneously belittle people who have chosen to upgrade.

Childish at best!

Mark

I think a large part of it is admiration. The 5D, for example, is but one great camera. Such threads are not always negative or snippy.

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:33 AM
charlesk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

Sir_Loin wrote:
I have to say, the first example about "microcontrast" and "3D pop" some people say about lenses is so true! I always think to myself "what the hell are you wittering on about?" A load of rubbish! (That'll upset the Zeiss fanboys!)

Comments?

You just gave me flashbacks to about 10 years ago when this forum first started going bonkers with people taking old German lenses and sticking them on their Canons. Every other post had one of those two phrases in it. I was one of the few people calling bunk on it then and was basically seen as just too unsophisticated to see the obvious superior qualities of these lenses.

Also reminds me that I still have several Contax 28mms I need to get rid of.

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:22 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

charlesk wrote:
You just gave me flashbacks to about 10 years ago when this forum first started going bonkers with people taking old German lenses and sticking them on their Canons. Every other post had one of those two phrases in it. I was one of the few people calling bunk on it then and was basically seen as just too unsophisticated to see the obvious superior qualities of these lenses.

Also reminds me that I still have several Contax 28mms I need to get rid of.

I have 3 (15/2.8, 25/2, 35/1.4) zeiss lens that I got mostly for night shooting (fast and good wide open with a hard stop at infinity). I have always been too unsophisticated to notice the micro contrast and special rendering and better color. Clearly they are better wide open than my zooms which is why I bought them.When I look at lens rentals mtf curves some zeiss do better at smaller lines but not all of them (micro contrast ?) .But I am not a portrait guy (unless the grizzly is a little close ) and the color is not a big a deal as getting the exposure and colour balance figured out. Maybe my eyes are just not as good as others.

Anyway, I am a self declared gear junkie but I do like my pictures. I started with the 20d and clearly the 5dii was a huge jump in ability to print, then 7d was a huge jump in action pictures, then 5dsr was a huge jump in ability to print large and mostly abandon my 7dii. I am really looking forward to 100?mpx/higher dynamic range 5dsrii and will buy it on the first day. I would also love to see a 12?mm ts - I would buy that on the first day. Now the big gains for me are being able to print really big.

This is a great hobby for a art/nature loving engineer - combines wondering in the bush, fussing with my computers and debating which lens renders better with you guys/girls

Oct 07, 2016 at 04:46 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

Are people denying the existence of 'pop/the 3D effect'?

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:46 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

photographers have a bad habit of making dramatic statements that have zero basis in reality

Kinda sounds like they might have rubbed off on him, as it looks like he adopted the same habit in his own statements.

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

There are the outlier comments who might actually say that there is no reason to get newer cameras or that you must replace some camera right away if you want to have good quality.

But most people are somewhere in the middle, and lot of folks who are pointing out that the camera's technical abilities may be less significant to the photograph than some assume are not suggesting that no new camera is ever worthwhile, just that folks can often afford to wait a bit longer than some do.

Oct 08, 2016 at 04:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

RustyBug wrote:
photographers have a bad habit of making dramatic statements that have zero basis in reality

I think you could say "people" instead of "photographers", and it would still be correct.

Oct 08, 2016 at 10:51 AM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

Paul Mo wrote:
Are people denying the existence of 'pop/the 3D effect'?

I can't speak for anyone else but I will happily deny the existence of such, at least as some sort of mystical phenomena separate from tried and true concepts such as depth of field, sharpness and accutance.

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

charlesk wrote:
I can't speak for anyone else but I will happily deny the existence of such, at least as some sort of mystical phenomena separate from tried and true concepts such as depth of field, sharpness and accutance.

trompe l'oeil
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trompe-l%27%C5%93il

The tools for rendering such visual perception effects remain at the core of acutance, rate of transition and spatial / contrast / lighting relationships.

2D is 2D, but the tools (lens / light / pp) for crafting 2D to render more readily perceived as non-2D are well noted. The degree of successful application varies.

+1 @ no "magic", just well crafted application of the various tools to render a "less flat" visual perception.

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

jcolwell wrote:
I think you could say "people" instead of "photographers", and it would still be correct.

So true.

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password