Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morn...

Sir_Loin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

http://petapixel.com/2016/04/28/11-stupidest-things-photographers-say-gear/

I have to say, the first example about "microcontrast" and "3D pop" some people say about lenses is so true! I always think to myself "what the hell are you wittering on about?" A load of rubbish! (That'll upset the Zeiss fanboys!)

Comments?

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:25 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

"Now Iíve been shooting since 2008..."

Those Milleniums say the darndest things.

EBH

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:42 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:45 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

I totally missed that when it came out back in April. Good stuff!

Yeah, number 11 is one of my favs as well. There have been some long threads on that 3D look.

Oct 06, 2016 at 01:35 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

I agree with all his points, especially about gear heads. I'm happy with my 5D3 but still thinking about a 5D4 because it will have that Sony look.

Oct 06, 2016 at 03:09 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

Sir_Loin wrote:
I have to say, the first example about "microcontrast" and "3D pop" some people say about lenses is so true! I always think to myself "what the hell are you wittering on about?" A load of rubbish! (That'll upset the Zeiss fanboys!)

I once performed a test of my 35mm f/2 Canon EF lens (non-IS) vs. a Zeiss 35mm f/2 ZE, and I found that (leaving aside corner sharpness, CA or other ways these lenses might be better or worse than one another) the Zeiss had subtly more contrast and color saturation straight out of the camera. "Microcontrast" and "3D pop" if you will.

However, when I opened both images in ACR, I found that with a few ticks of the Vibrance and Clarity controls, I could make the Canon image completely indistinguishable from the Zeiss image.

I'll take better color and contrast if possible, but we are no longer shooting transparency film and these two aspects of a lens' performance are stupid easy to adjust in post. This experiment definitely gave me a new perspective on lens fetishism.

Oct 06, 2016 at 03:30 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

The one that always gets me is when people try to publicly validate their decision to keep their current camera when a new one comes out. They will make a thread or a post to show us all that their 2014 camera or whatever still takes pictures, as if there was even a single person who didn't know that or doubted that...nobody thinks your 2 year old gear is obsolete, don't worry - people upgrade for many different reasons.

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:00 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

"F8 and be there." More important consideration than most of the rest of this stuff.

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:25 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

"Iíve been reading about photo equipment for 8 years..."

Noobies say the funniest things...

Maybe one day, he'll eventually learn what some of those things actually mean...

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:28 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

CanadaMark wrote:
The one that always gets me is when people try to publicly validate their decision to keep their current camera when a new one comes out. They will make a thread or a post to show us all that their 2014 camera or whatever still takes pictures, as if there was even a single person who didn't know that or doubted that...nobody thinks your 2 year old gear is obsolete, don't worry - people upgrade for many different reasons.

Agree strongly - there are a few "repeat" offenders on this forum that do this over and over again. "My 7D can still take photos" "5D classic still gets the job done" etc. It's just a thinly veiled opportunity to have somebody stroke their ego and simultaneously belittle people who have chosen to upgrade.

Childish at best!

Mark

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

lowside67 wrote:
Agree strongly - there are a few "repeat" offenders on this forum that do this over and over again. "My 7D can still take photos" "5D classic still gets the job done" etc. It's just a thinly veiled opportunity to have somebody stroke their ego and simultaneously belittle people who have chosen to upgrade.

Childish at best!

Mark

Well put - that is how it comes across for me too.

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:50 PM
Adam Jones

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

CanadaMark wrote:

That part of the article came across as very obnoxious to me; as if, because the author still chooses to use a 5D, the implication is that those of us who choose to purchase newer gear are somehow slathering gearheads lusting after more MPs and AF points at the expense of art.

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:04 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

Adam Jones wrote:
The implication is that those of us who choose to purchase newer gear are somehow slathering gearheads lusting after more MPs and AF points at the expense of art.

In fairness, that's not an entirely unfounded stereotype

For full disclosure, I still shoot a 5D as my newest and most capable camera. Not because i am somehow better than people who buy newer cameras, nor because greater suffering brings me more in touch with my art, and certainly not so i can "stroke my ego and simultaneously belittle people who have chosen to upgrade". I shoot an original 5D because i don't have a lot of disposable income to throw at my hobby, and it still does it's job more than well enough for my needs.

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:31 PM
Adam Jones

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

15Bit wrote:
In fairness, that's not an entirely unfounded stereotype

Lol, no argument here.

Oct 06, 2016 at 06:24 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

15Bit wrote:
I shoot an original 5D because i don't have a lot of disposable income to throw at my hobby, and it still does it's job more than well enough for my needs.

Similar with me. While I now shoot with current-model cameras, I have no plans to replace them until my capabilities and needs exceed what my cameras/lenses/tripods/computers/etc. are capable of. And I still very much enjoy my "old" 1D Mark IV, although it's not used much these days. I fully expect to enjoy my current bodies for at least 5 years (hopefully more)óat this point I'm more into improving my composition and exploring more types of subject matter than in growing my gear stable.

I think, though, that we're not different from many on the forum. From posts, I get the feeling that for a number of us, gear acquisition is based on our needs and whether new gear solves problems for us.

However, I can also understand why some may consistently go for the latest/greatest. For example, if one's livelihood depends on being competitive with the marketplace, the latest "thing" might be necessary (e.g. pp software, higher-res body).

OTOH, some day I may tire of "the Canon look" and decide that I really really need "the Nikon look" (or maybe the Lytro look)

Oct 06, 2016 at 06:31 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

You could add a few things to the list of annoying stuff often heard among the 'togs. Though it's not entirely gear related...

The whole "equivalency" debate...
The "you need full-frame to have any DOF control; APS-C and (God forbid!) MFT have none" tripe (thankfully toned way down of late, even though there is still some proselytism around)...
Or the "you don't really need to focus a wide-angle" mantra.

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

Adam Jones wrote:
That part of the article came across as very obnoxious to me; as if, because the author still chooses to use a 5D, the implication is that those of us who choose to purchase newer gear are somehow slathering gearheads lusting after more MPs and AF points at the expense of art.

The implication to me is that he does not make a lot of money from photography or is really cheap.

EBH

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:27 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

yup

OTOH, he did generate this doozie: pseudo-science mumbo jumbo like ďmicrocontrast"

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:29 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

ok, I have a couple of counterpoints...

for #6 - "I can hammer nails my Nikon F"

for #9 - "Bokahfy that mofo"

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:32 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · This made me laugh & nod knowingly as I drank my morning coffee!

99.99% of the time. 😉

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password