Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · when do you reveal your prices?

heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · when do you reveal your prices?

There is an interesting discussion going on in a German fb group that made me thinking.

When do you guys reveal your prices?

I used to have a starting price on our website, then we had no starting point and obviously got more inquiries. However, after first email-contact we sent a PDF with infos, images and prices. We only met couples who already knew our packages.

A quite successful photog from Germany now says he never gives out prices before the in-person-meeting. He talks about the wedding and his images and end in the end he gives information what the costs are. He seems to be very successful with this.

How do you handle this? What do you think about meeting the client first and reveal the price later in the conversation?

heiko

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:16 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · when do you reveal your prices?

I think that only works with up market couples. If thats who is finding you amd searching for you then do it.

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:22 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · when do you reveal your prices?

I have also done the back and forth price on price off my site. At this point I try to give a starting price on my site and an average price as part of the email prior to a consult without giving out my full packages. The idea is I want to build value into my price. I am selling myself and my work, not packages/price. If you send out your packages they IMO will be shopping backwards and comparing your packages to another without necessarily understanding you or what you do different from the next person.

Is this the right way? Who knows. I probably lose some this way, which is fine by me. I don't want just straight up price shoppers anyhow.

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:15 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · when do you reveal your prices?

Also, put yourself in the clients shoes for a moment. You have never been married before you are excited beyond belief. They get to your site. See something in your work that resonates with them and they reach out. They want to start a conversation with you. The only way a lot of them know how to start is simply asking price. Doesn't mean that is all they care about, and if you can move them off of price. You will know if it is or isn't.

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:19 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · when do you reveal your prices?

I have a realistic staring price on my website.

I'll give inquiries the full price sheet via a URL back to my website.

The reality is couples are emailing 15-20 photographers without too much regard to pricing or quality. 10 will respond and 5 will be available. The couple will set meetings with 2 or 3 and then pick from there.

But I'd never set a meeting with someone and not know their pricing in advance.

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:20 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · when do you reveal your prices?

We have our starting price on the website and we discuss full pricing at an in-person meeting.

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:44 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · when do you reveal your prices?

Prices on site (condensed summary); I give them a full breakdown pdf on contacting me. 'Hiding' prices until later only pisses people off imo especially my generation with internet enhanced ADD who make up most wedding clients. It is pretty typical for people I know getting married to say they just skip over photogs with no or vague pricing info because there is so much choice already and a starting price reads like 'I will upsell you'. Some people also operate with 'if you have to ask...' on pricing (ie. no prices = v expensive).

People don't want their time wasted taking already stretched time for both with a consult when they don't even know they can afford the photog. Similarly I don't want to waste me time either. I think the no prices only works on price insensitive couples (rich people).

I feel operating with transparency helps couples trust me too.

Oct 06, 2016 at 03:15 PM
Chris Cooke
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · when do you reveal your prices?

I have all my pricing on my website for all to see. No hidden links or starting prices only.

Im not a sales person, I HATE "selling myself". I know its part of this business but its not my strong suit. I would rather have people be able to look over my site, see my images, learn about me and see my pricing so when I get an email from them its a pretty darn good lead and not someone kicking the tires and price shopping.

Oct 06, 2016 at 03:44 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · when do you reveal your prices?

My website says "starting at X$ for X hours" so I can pre-qualify them before they write. When they write I can send back an e-mail with the full pricing but also links they would probably never see on their own (vimeo page, blog, and a full wedding gallery). Kind of like sending your clients in an IKEA maze where they can be exposed to your work, but there's still a quick getaway option.

If I didn't pre-qualify I'd be wasting a lot of people's time. Montreal has three well defined price tiers (0-1500$, 1500-6000$, 6000$+ for a 6h hour package) and many can't afford us even if we're at the entry point of the middle tier. When I do bridal shows I see people jump when I mention our pricing.

Oct 06, 2016 at 03:55 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · when do you reveal your prices?

I think a price indication is a good idea but there is no perfect solution.
The best you can do is match your clientele to your business practices... same with all marketing.

Clients will ring and ask price. I ell them I don't have fixed packages but if they can give me a few details, I'll be able to give them an accurate Quote.
30-45 min later when they have made an appointment to come in, I confirm I'm within their budget and give a ball park figure. With the rapport and excitement I have by then built with them, That's all that matters. They can afford me, they presume it's the high end of the budget, not a problem.

When they get a final figure, it's what they were expecting although not specifically quoted till then because I already asked their budget during the initial call and knew if it was workable for me or not.

I made price the minor not the major thing.

If some people will walk if they don't see price on a site or if they will shop you or if they will or won't ring... Meh. There is no single solution to appeal to every market level. Do your homework, learn about your clients and their buying habits ( by plain asking them!) and tailor your marketing to have the widest appeal to that demographic you are chasing.

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · when do you reveal your prices?

Mark_L wrote:
People don't want their time wasted

THIS

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:40 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · when do you reveal your prices?

Mark_L wrote:
with internet enhanced ADD who make up most wedding clients.

, No THIS ↑↑↑

As soon as they ask I give them full pricing. If they don't ask and they want to meet, then I send them pricing before we schedule an appointment.

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:03 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · when do you reveal your prices?

Never reveal your prices! If someone asks for a price its an insult. I am an artist not a prostitute. If you like my work and I decide to honor you with life long memories, only a blank check will do. Sure only works if you are well known in your village like me.

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:48 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · when do you reveal your prices?

Now that I meet couples in a nice cafe (not too bad at the moment), I make sure they know my prices beforehand !

When I had the studio and low budget couples knocked on my door, I wasted a lot of precious time.

Oct 06, 2016 at 06:19 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · when do you reveal your prices?

InSanE wrote:
Never reveal your prices! If someone asks for a price its an insult. I am an artist not a prostitute. If you like my work and I decide to honor you with life long memories, only a blank check will do. Sure only works if you are well known in your village like me.

heck of a marketing strategy .............. if it works

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:14 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · when do you reveal your prices?

CW100 wrote:
heck of a marketing strategy .............. if it works

Good thing is that with a blank check it only needs to work once

Oct 19, 2016 at 05:40 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · when do you reveal your prices?

glort wrote:
I made price the minor not the major thing.

This is what it is all about.

heiko

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:10 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · when do you reveal your prices?

> When do you guys reveal your prices?

On wedding day. Makes a boring business so much more fun.

Oct 19, 2016 at 02:21 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · when do you reveal your prices?

LeeSimms wrote:
> When do you guys reveal your prices?

On wedding day. Makes a boring business so much more fun.

"Hi, I'm Lee, and I take cash only."

Oct 19, 2016 at 02:56 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password