Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

Sjjindra
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

I am a newlywed (10 months now) who has travelled very little over my lifetime (seldom left Texas) and we are both retired. My new bride loves to travel and has proposed going to one of the the above cities for about a week next summer. It won't primarily be a photography trip, but I will plan to take a lot of photos of the city, the sites, and the people.

Which would you choose, and why? What sites should we not miss at either city. Any photos are appreciated.

Thanks for any imput.

Steve

Oct 06, 2016 at 12:36 AM
Sashi
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

Steve

You might also consider posting on the Trip Advice Forum, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/51

My recommendation is to start local or close by and then expand your horizons, so Toronto would get my vote.

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:36 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

Sashi

I just copied my question to the other forum. Thanks, I hadn't spotted that one. Toronto was my 1st choice, due to proximity.

Thanks
Steve

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:03 AM
redford01
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

Having been to all 3, I would rank them as follows:

Vienna
Toronto
Milan

If you opt for Italy, then my strong recommendation would be to split the time between Venice and Florence. Those 2 cities far outweigh the other choices.

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:42 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

All of the cities have something to offer. Milan wouldn't be my first pick of an Italian city to visit if you've never been to Italy before. I've never been to Toronto, but I would think it would have the fewest photographic opportunities.

I haven't been to Vienna either, but I want to go there as well as Salzburg, since I am descended from folks expelled from Salzburg because they were Protestants.

Go to YouTube and search for Rick Steves episodes on Milan and Vienna.

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:54 AM
ceblaum
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

My recommendation: Vienna, hands down, one of the most beautiful cities I've been to, and I've been to many. From there, you could easily travel to the Salzburg area which is amazing and then finally to Berchtesgaden, which is absolutely breathtaking.

Milan wouldn't be my first choice among Italian cities, but I did enjoy a brief visit some years ago.

IMHO, Reykjavik, Iceland trumps all of these...we've now been there for our yearly vacation 3 years in a row. It's very inexpensive to get there and to stay there if you do your research.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Oct 06, 2016 at 06:39 PM
69charger
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

Having being born in Toronto and visited neither European city, don't forget that there is so much around Toronto. The Royal Ontario Museum - ROM, Toronto Islands, take a tethered walk outside atop the CN Tower. Or take a day and go to Ottawa or Niagara Falls. It's not New York thank god, but it has some good spots.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:04 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

Vienna might just be my favorite place in Europe -- and I've been to a few. If you're set on Italy, I'd do Cinque Terre as a base and do a day trip to Milan if you're set on that. However, Rome, Sienna, Venice and other places would be a better option than Milan.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:24 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

Is this a serious question ?

Vienna walks all over the others. It is one of the world's iconic and most historical cities ... and it's gorgeous. I lived in Austria for 3 years and stlll have family living in Vienna. It is a very special place.

I'm not sure why Milan is even in the picture, unless you are planning to spend a fortune buying couture clothing on the Via Venetto ! Though you could plan to drive the hour or so north and stay around the gorgeous Lago di Como (Lake Como).
Italy has so many more spectacular cities, for example you could easily do a circular trip of Florence, Siena (just love this place) and Pisa (just OK), takes no more than ca. 1-1.5 hrs to travel between each.

Oct 25, 2016 at 02:34 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

ceblaum wrote:
My recommendation: Vienna, hands down, one of the most beautiful cities I've been to, and I've been to many. From there, you could easily travel to the Salzburg area which is amazing and then finally to Berchtesgaden, which is absolutely breathtaking.

Milan wouldn't be my first choice among Italian cities, but I did enjoy a brief visit some years ago.

IMHO, Reykjavik, Iceland trumps all of these...we've now been there for our yearly vacation 3 years in a row. It's very inexpensive to get there and to stay there if you do your research.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Excellent recommendations and advice.

Iceland is my favourite country to visit (second is NZ) however Reykjavik is too small for more than a couple of days at most and the prices in good restaurants (and I don't mean Michelin starred either) is horrendous (equivalent to top restaurants in London) ! Icelandic food is a bit boring - except for the wonderful array of Licorice

If going to Iceland it's all about the countryside. it's becoming very popular for weddings and honeymoons due to it's spectacular (and I mean spectacular in it's fullest sense, not just as a throwaway) scenery.

Oct 25, 2016 at 02:46 AM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

if you haven't traveled much: Florence, Paris, London

Oct 25, 2016 at 03:41 AM
carrg1954
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

While I like fred miranda two out of the three are in Eurpoe
If you want to travel then I'd suggest you visit Rick Steves
His web site, is all about travel. You may change your mind
FWI I's pick Milan, within a couple of hours of some great places to visit

Oct 25, 2016 at 05:08 AM
ATPphoto
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

I'd opt for Milan; there's lots of great architecture, both formal and industrial; the food is great, ditto the coffee and gelato.
People are very very friendly (sorry Toronto & Vienna) and you can start a chat with just about anyone.
It doesn't take itself too seriously, neither is it too expensive to stay there for 1-2 weeks.

Oct 25, 2016 at 07:47 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

Vancouver....

every time we travel and get home, we wonder why we left.

Definitely Vienna.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:33 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

This wouldn't be the Internet if I didn't offer a suggestion beyond the scope of what was presented...

If you're considering Milan, I would pick Venice. Period. It was, by far, my favorite of Cinque Terre, Florence, Rome and Milan.

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:04 PM
vin14
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

Hi, having been to all three, I'd say Vienna all the way. If you were to ask which European city, it would be a contender, along with the likes of Paris and Prague. Milan just wouldn't be. If you were to ask which North American City, Toronto would be higher on my list, but I'd be putting others such as NYC, Chicago, San Francisco ahead of it.

Nov 06, 2016 at 02:13 PM
mdelrossi
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

Add Berlin to your list. One of my favorite cities.

Varied architecture, from old pre war buildings to eastern block to amazing modern. English is no problem, in fact I wanted to learn more german but they kept on wanting to speak english to me. Maybe my german was that awful

The wife is from Toronto so I know that city well. It's nice, but doesn't have the style or panache of the other cities you mentioned, its just another North american city, no offense to any who live there.

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:32 AM
Iman113
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Toronto, Milan, or Vienna, Which Would You Choose?

I have also been to all three cities! Vienna, no contest! One of the grandest and most interesting cities in Europe.

Nov 12, 2016 at 08:24 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.