New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Expressions X 4

eeneryma
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Expressions X 4

Your critiques and comments always welcome.

Steve

Steve Schulman Photography

Expressions X 4

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:47 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Expressions X 4

This is a another good example of meshing ideas (three expressions on the shirt and one on the man). But my very first impression was "posed".

That says a lot about my expectations from your work which is so often truly candid.

Oct 06, 2016 at 01:47 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Expressions X 4

ben egbert wrote:
This is a another good example of meshing ideas (three expressions on the shirt and one on the man). But my very first impression was "posed".

That says a lot about my expectations from your work which is so often truly candid.

There are two schools of thought about street photography of people. The first is that you should ask permission and get approval before taking someone's photo. The second is that you prefer to shoot candidly, no permission requested. There are often heated arguments between street photographers about which is the proper and ethical approach.
In this case, I approached the gentleman and asked his permission. He said yes, so I proceeded. The final result would have been quite different if I had shot him candidly. Not better or worse, just different in my opinion. Both methods have their merits.

Steve.

Oct 06, 2016 at 03:28 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Expressions X 4

This appears to be little more than a snapshot of a man in an amusing shirt stiffly posed for the camera. It lacks the ingenuity and clever humour of previous posts.

Some days are diamonds; some days are rocks.

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Expressions X 4

eeneryma wrote:
There are two schools of thought about street photography of people. The first is that you should ask permission and get approval before taking someone's photo. The second is that you prefer to shoot candidly, no permission requested. There are often heated arguments between street photographers about which is the proper and ethical approach.
In this case, I approached the gentleman and asked his permission. He said yes, so I proceeded. The final result would have been quite different if I had shot him candidly. Not better or worse, just different in my opinion. Both methods have their merits.

Steve.

Landscape is also full of schools of thought. No sign of humans or man made objects versus simply old stuff, versus put a person in it for scale etc.

As a non street guy, I prefer a non posed shot, candid or otherwise.

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:08 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Expressions X 4

Rick Joyce wrote:
This appears to be little more than a snapshot of a man in an amusing shirt stiffly posed for the camera. It lacks the ingenuity and clever humour of previous posts.

Some days are diamonds; some days are rocks.

Nothing earth shattering, but maybe a little chuckle: the toothpick in his mouth versus the lit matches in the girl's mouths, his blank expression versus the wild expressions from the girls.

As you've said, every day can't be a home run. But half the battle is going to bat at the plate each day.

Steve

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fast6
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Expressions X 4

I noticed the toothpick/matchstick thing, and it's a really neat element!

Here's an interesting thought: the t-shirt expressions are all cropped to mid-nose. How about a tight crop of your photo that takes him to mid-nose, and by maintaining the aspect ratio, may also make it seem more candid?

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:34 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Expressions X 4

Fast6 wrote:
I noticed the toothpick/matchstick thing, and it's a really neat element!

Here's an interesting thought: the t-shirt expressions are all cropped to mid-nose. How about a tight crop of your photo that takes him to mid-nose, and by maintaining the aspect ratio, may also make it seem more candid?

What a great idea! Thank you.

Steve

Oct 06, 2016 at 06:45 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Expressions X 4

eeneryma wrote:
What a great idea! Thank you.

Steve

To illustrate Fast6's suggestion.

Steve

Steve Schulman Photography

Expressions X 4

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:18 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Expressions X 4

Yep, I like it.

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:23 AM
Fast6
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Expressions X 4

Worlds of difference! Thanks for taking my suggestion to heart.

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:12 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Expressions X 4

Fast6 wrote:
Worlds of difference! Thanks for taking my suggestion to heart.

I thank you again. It was a excellent suggestion that crystallized the image for me.

Steve

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:18 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password