New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · MFi interface durability

Bmpwe

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MFi interface durability

Hi all,

I recently bought my first flash for the MFi, the Godox TT685. The flash seems pretty decent, regardless of the awesome price. This isn't a question of it's durability, but that of the MFi in general.

The only other flash I ever had simply had the one little dot contact that seemed durable. The MFi on the other hand has a bunch of small delicate looking contacts. Are these contacts durable enough to throw the flash in a bag without the protector or bag it comes with? Do I need to coddle this thing?

Thanks,
Brandon

Oct 06, 2016 at 12:05 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MFi interface durability

Looks pretty delicate doesn't it? I have not heard of any problems and the hotshoe has been out for a number of years.

Oct 06, 2016 at 12:27 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MFi interface durability

Bmpwe wrote:
Hi all,

I recently bought my first flash for the MFi, the Godox TT685. The flash seems pretty decent, regardless of the awesome price. This isn't a question of it's durability, but that of the MFi in general.

The only other flash I ever had simply had the one little dot contact that seemed durable. The MFi on the other hand has a bunch of small delicate looking contacts. Are these contacts durable enough to throw the flash in a bag without the protector or bag it comes with? Do I need to coddle this thing?

Thanks,
Brandon

I agree that the contacts seem delicate. Sony camera bodies ship with a cover for the hot shoe and flash units with a protector for the flash foot but these tiny items are easy to misplace or lose. I recall reading somewhere that flash problems are often due to dirty contacts in the hot shoe and that it's advisable to insert the cover when one is not using the flash. You can buy a pair (hot shoe cover + foot protector) on eBay for less than B&H charges for the hot shoe cover alone. I've purchased the linked items from this seller and the quality is just as good as the OEM product.

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:48 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MFi interface durability

genji wrote:
I agree that the contacts seem delicate. Sony camera bodies ship with a cover for the hot shoe and flash units with a protector for the flash foot but these tiny items are easy to misplace or lose. I recall reading somewhere that flash problems are often due to dirty contacts in the hot shoe and that it's advisable to insert the cover when one is not using the flash. You can buy a pair (hot shoe cover + foot protector) on eBay for less than B&H charges for the hot shoe cover alone. I've purchased the linked items from
...Show more

Sony (and Minolta) always came with hot shoe covers to protect the old plastic slides from being broken in the old shoe.

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bmpwe

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MFi interface durability

FWIW, I looked at mine a little more closely today and think they might not be as delicate as I thought. On the Godox at least, the thin little wires that seem like 0.5mm x 0.5mm actually look more like they're 0.5mm x longer. They kind of sink into the base like piano keys.

I might feel better about putting them in my bag without the added cover now.

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:47 AM
phuviano
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MFi interface durability

Bmpwe wrote:
I might feel better about putting them in my bag without the added cover now.

I haven't had my tt685s for long, but I put it in my flash bag. I threw out that flash shoe cover after i got it. Just seems like a pain in the butt to take off every time. Its like keeping your lenses in lens bags.

Time will only tell, if i made the right choice.

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:46 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MFi interface durability

Don't you mean the MIS ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_Interface_Shoe

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:48 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password