Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenge...

darthalal
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

I recently purchased a Peak Design Everyday Messenger 13" after lusting after it for quite a while, thinking the FlexFold dividers would be the magic bullet I needed to help minimize wasted space inside my messenger bag. I was finding with my previous bag that it was hard to make the normal padded velcro dividers work well with the smaller Fuji lenses (even after I stole additional dividers from other bags), and that I ended up with either a lot of wasted space, or gear that wasn't nicely protected. I thought the flexibility (no pun intended) of the Peak Design dividers would accommodate the smaller gear better, by allowing me to fold down the upper half of the dividers to make cubbies for the smaller lenses. These 'cubbies' seem to be too big, though, for lenses like the 35mm f2, 14mm f2.8, and even the 23mm f/1.4, so a lot of space is wasted and the lens kind of bounces around inside there. Also, since the lens mounts almost directly in the center of my body (X-Pro2), rather than mostly offset like a traditional DSLR, it seems hard to find a divider arrangement that provides a protected but still easily accessible spot for the camera to sit, unless I take the lens off, and that seems silly to me.

I'm interested to see how others have made these dividers in this bag work, but also how you have other messenger-style bags set up, for some inspiration!

I know this isn't exactly Fuji specific, but I've been obsessing over photos elsewhere on this site and the internet in general trying to see how to make it work the best with my gear, but I put it here because = most of the photos I'm finding are Sony or DSLR kits and they don't seem to run into the same issues.

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:02 PM
southwoodlaker
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

I am using Billingham Hadley Pro. I think it is perfect bag for Fuji Gear. I carry it to work everyday(taking pictures on the way home sometimes). Here are the stuff in my bag:
left: bottom is a 10-24, left top is Nissin i40, in the middle is X-T2 with 16-55 attached; Right side is 50-140(no hood).
Outside of the protection bag is my 13" laptop and a iPad air. Outside pocket (back) is a leather notebook.
Front two large packet with misc. stuff, charger batteries, card holder etc.

With all these in, not light but don't feel too heavy. Looks elegant and small but hold a lot of gears.
Not exactly the bag you used. Hope it helps.

Oct 06, 2016 at 12:10 AM
jecottrell
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

I use neoprene pouches and throw everything in together. I mean, I stack everything neatly...

Oct 06, 2016 at 01:27 AM
MoparMan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

Heres my everyday 13"

under the folded divider is my 16-55, 10-24 on the camera, 50-140 on the other side.

Works great. Love it.

~original[/IMG]

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:32 AM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

I use a Saddleback large Mountaback gear bag. The thing has a 100 year warranty. I put in a timbuk2 padded insert and it works great. They are expensive but worth it.

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:54 AM
southwoodlaker
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

Sgt_Gatr wrote:
I use a Saddleback large Mountaback gear bag. The thing has a 100 year warranty. I put in a timbuk2 padded insert and it works great. They are expensive but worth it.

That is a nice bag and also expensive. I am not sure I really need 100 year warranty though

Oct 06, 2016 at 12:39 PM
JustShootMe
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

Here's a previous setup ... a little heavy for my liking

Tenba cooper 13 slim / X-Pro2 / 56 F1.2 / 50-140 F2.8 / 16-55 F2.8 / 35 F2 / Nisin i40

A few batteries , filters , and misc

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:00 PM
davidthejr
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

This is what I use, a Porteengear messenger bag that my wife got me. It's actually the perfect size for my X-T10 and a few primes. I'm usually hualing around my X-T10 with the 35mm f/1.4 attached in the middle, a Nikon 105mm f/2.5 with adapter on one side, and on the other side Nikon 50mm f/1.8 series E with a 7mm extension tube, and the Fuji 18mm f/2 sitting on top of it. The front has a few pockets, just the right size for a few extra batteries, a portable battery for my phone, a cable, and a couple spare cards.

A friend of mine is borrowing some gear at the moment, so I have a Nikon 23 f/3.5 on the body, and I'm missing the 18mm.

So far it's held up pretty well!! And it's all fairly light to carry around.

Nexus 5X    5mm    f/2.0    1/30s    384 ISO    0.0 EV  

Pockets!

Nexus 5X    5mm    f/2.0    1/30s    373 ISO    0.0 EV  

Interior

Nexus 5X    5mm    f/2.0    1/25s    465 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

darthalal
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

Thanks everyone, this has been pretty helpful! I think I've found a setup that will work for me this weekend, where I'll be renting a couple of lenses (see below), but I'm still struggling to arrange things that works well with smaller lenses, or more general everyday carry. I think I need small lens pouches or dividers or something.

Also, PSA for those of you with X-Pro2 and Everyday Messenger... If you have your camera in the bag at either end, so that the screen is facing outward, those 'pockets' that hold the waistbelt straps when they're not being used bulges into the main area which seems to put extra pressure against the rubber eyecup, which grips really well against the interior materials of the EDMessenger. I found out the hard way that that can end in disaster.

I didn't even feel it happen, just pulled the camera out and saw half of the eyecup gone, which was sitting in the bottom of the bag.

Anyway, the setup for this weekend: X-Pro2 with 50-140mm in the center, and a rented 100-400 to the left, 16-55 to the right. Maybe the 35/2 underneath the 16-55 if I can figure out a safe way to store it down there. Don't mind the ugly gaffer tape keeping my eyecup in, haha.

southwoodlaker wrote:
I am using Billingham Hadley Pro. I think it is perfect bag for Fuji Gear. I carry it to work everyday(taking pictures on the way home sometimes). Here are the stuff in my bag:
left: bottom is a 10-24, left top is Nissin i40, in the middle is X-T2 with 16-55 attached; Right side is 50-140(no hood).
Outside of the protection bag is my 13" laptop and a iPad air. Outside pocket (back) is a leather notebook.
Front two large packet with misc. stuff, charger batteries, card holder etc.

With all these in, not light but don't feel too heavy. Looks elegant
...Show more

That's impressive; these bags always look so small in photos! Nice setup.

MoparMan wrote:
Heres my everyday 13"

under the folded divider is my 16-55, 10-24 on the camera, 50-140 on the other side.

Works great. Love it.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/The_Sarlacc/E05BBF30-3F4C-4725-92F1-62A6DE081421.jpg~original

That all looks surprisingly compact given how large I thought the 10-24 and 16-55 are! I still haven't seen them in person yet. Nice kit, thanks for sharing.

JustShootMe wrote:
Here's a previous setup ... a little heavy for my liking

Tenba cooper 13 slim / X-Pro2 / 56 F1.2 / 50-140 F2.8 / 16-55 F2.8 / 35 F2 / Nisin i40

A few batteries , filters , and misc

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1689/25923200776_8553900ba0_c.jpg

That looks similar to what I'm trying to do; how did you manage to layer the smaller lenses?

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:30 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

I call this... "The Seattle"

"The Seattle" by Michael Toyama, on Flickr

OG EDM, 35/2, X-T2 + 18-55, Marmot Essence

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:57 AM
JustShootMe
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

That looks similar to what I'm trying to do; how did you manage to layer the smaller lenses?

The bag has a few flaps that Velcro on one side , I use those to separate the lenses , works well for me

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:42 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

Call Fuji in NJ and they will replace the eyepiece.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:51 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

You guys have convinced me. I have a PK on its way.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:15 PM
darthalal
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

ontime wrote:
I call this... "The Seattle"

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5725/29644329543_a2b21145d6_c.jpg"The Seattle" by Michael Toyama, on Flickr

OG EDM, 35/2, X-T2 + 18-55, Marmot Essence

Nice setup!

---------------------------------------------

JustShootMe wrote:
The bag has a few flaps that Velcro on one side , I use those to separate the lenses , works well for me

Ah, neat, that might actually help me with some of the problems I'm having with my bag; I might try to find some of those dividers separately on Amazon or something.
---------------------------------------------

mineymole wrote:
Call Fuji in NJ and they will replace the eyepiece.

I did, and the replacement just came in the mail today. With how easily it happened the first time, though, I'm definitely nervous about it happening again..

Just to update you guys, here is how I carried the bag to photograph a motorsports event earlier this month! (Rented a couple of lenses):

Peak Design and Fuji by Allen , on Flickr

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:38 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

You're telling me that bag hold all those lenses and the body without anything touching? Wow if that is the case.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:47 AM
darthalal
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Show me your Everyday Messenger layout (or other messenger bags!) with Fuji gear

traveler wrote:
You're telling me that bag hold all those lenses and the body without anything touching? Wow if that is the case.

Close, I think I actually left the 35 in the car, but the three larger lenses and the TC all came with me; hoods reversed on the long zooms, and left the hood for the 16-55 home. I did have to put the TC in a little pouch to keep it from getting scratched, and just had it sit in the 'column' I kept the 16-55 in. So, the 100-400 went in a column on its own, the body was mounted on the 50-140, and then the TC and 16-55 went in the third slot. I tried the 35/2 in a thin lens pouch and it also fit (next to the TC, below the 16-55), but I have some back issues and figured I was already pushing things carrying the rest around all day. I wouldn't want to do it a lot (too heavy for a single strap for me! I prefer backpacks for this much gear, but don't currently have one), but I was definitely impressed. I wish I had taken a picture of the bag actually packed... but these shots (reposting from above) show how I had the dividers configured. Just imagine the 100-400 in the slot with the taller divider and the 16-55 on the other side. Camera has the 50-140 on it in these photos:

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:07 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password