Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Hockey using strobes

figo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hockey using strobes

Shooting a few professional hockey games using strobes in the near future and I can't decided what lens to use. Should I buy the 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 or the 70-300 f4.-5.6? In the past I was at 1/250 f6.3 ISO 300.

Rink is well lit but I'm concern is the AF performance on my 1DX.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:21 PM
PureMichigan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hockey using strobes

What lenses have you used to shoot hockey in the past?

How/where do you plan to strobe? In well strobed/lit NHL hockey rinks those wide-range zooms are pretty widely used Anything less than NHL ... tougher. I've done some IHL rinks that aren't well lit at all and those t apertures just wouldn't cut it. NHL different story, I understand.

Are you shooting through glass, plexi hole, stands?

Did you find 1/250 a little slow for hockey?

These would help in answering your question ... I think the AF Focus own 1DX should be the least of your concerns. It's a great camera for hockey.

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:06 PM
figo

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hockey using strobes

NHL rink. Photo hole. 1/250 is what the house photographer has told me to use to set off the strobes.
New to strobes

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:07 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hockey using strobes

1/250 is the highest sync speed. Flash duration is what freezes the action, not shutter speed as long as you are shooting 4-5 stops below ambient. Nothing wrong with your focal ranges by why not consider a 120-300 f/2.8 or at the least 70-200 f/2.8? Seems to me that if you are professionally invested in strobes, you should be with your lens lineup too.

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hockey using strobes

I agree with Paul.....

Use the 70-200 for the focus speed. sharpness ect..... sure you probably don't need f2.8 but the pro zoom is so much faster to focus, accurate and so on.....

I know some guys who strobe hockey at 1/250th, ISO 50 and f3.5 or so...... they almost shoot wide open and lower their ISO to absolute base....

Oct 06, 2016 at 01:31 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hockey using strobes

Just my 2 cents...

Both of those lenses make poor choices. Backgrounds are everything in sports images. Both of those lenses will not afford you great isolation on your subjects. And that's assuming your going to shoot wide open.

The 300 will only come into play if your lucky enough to have a photo hole, where a more full angle of past 170 is afforded to you from say... the goal line, up and down the sidelines.

And as you were asking about the 'strobe' aspect.. I don't have any idea what system in installed there... be it a dynolite 2 tube, or, single, but either way you only going to get 1 or 2 kicks at the can per play.. Probably only 1 as most do not have the duals installed.

There is no replacement for fastest glass inside a venue.... None.

The standard-defacto for most of us in the corners is like a 14-24 for impact shots right in front of you (preferably an f/2.8) and the brother to that being the 70-200.

You can get some images from the people portals that lead into seating, providing your access allows that. In that case the isolation will not play into that decision as much, and your not blocked by netting to protect the crowds.

Oct 06, 2016 at 07:04 PM
figo

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hockey using strobes

Everyone is making excellent points about fast glass and blurred backgrounds but maybe the following fact may shed light on my lens selection.
- shot along Bruce Bennett at the WCH and spoke with him about his go to lens the 28-300f4-5.6

So I figured if the best in the league is using that type of lens, I would give it a shot.

Thank you for replying.

Oct 06, 2016 at 09:10 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password