New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Out of comfort zone + 2

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out of comfort zone + 2

Arm twisted to do a wedding - documentary, that is.

Appreciate any thoughts, a WIP

Thanks,

Bob

#2 - variation dealing with freckles and blemish areas

Edited on Oct 20, 2016 at 04:05 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:08 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out of comfort zone + 2

Bob,

I'm not a portrait photographer, so take this for what it's worth. Two things jump out at me. First, her right shoulder is much brighter than her face, and it should be the other way around. Second, don't know if it is the processing, but there is some mottling on her exposed right side skin that doesn't do her justice.

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:15 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out of comfort zone + 2

Fred Amico wrote:
Bob,

I'm not a portrait photographer, so take this for what it's worth. Two things jump out at me. First, her right shoulder is much brighter than her face, and it should be the other way around. Second, don't know if it is the processing, but there is some mottling on her exposed right side skin that doesn't do her justice.

Thanks Fred,

Neither am I a staged portrait guy...

What I need to know - more eyes the better.

Bob

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:53 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out of comfort zone + 2

I think you overdid the corrections. She looks good and very natural in the original. Maybe just dampen the brightness of the shoulder - moderately - rather than weaken the features of the face. I like the picture.

Oct 14, 2016 at 06:04 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out of comfort zone + 2

pjbishop wrote:
I think you overdid the corrections. She looks good and very natural in the original. Maybe just dampen the brightness of the shoulder - moderately - rather than weaken the features of the face. I like the picture.

Thank you for the comments - At this point perhaps somewhere between...the arm looks overdone...(I am no fan of the plastic, glamour look so common in portraits). Main thing, she, shall I say they, are happy with the image.

Best,

Bob

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:26 PM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out of comfort zone + 2

Hi, Bob.
The first version for me, and perhaps I would be challenged if I saw something in between the 2 versions that you posted. What strikes me most, and has nothing to do with 1 vs 2, is how dark her hand looks.

santiago

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:33 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Out of comfort zone + 2

I like the direction of #1.

when I deconstruct the image.... I see the hot spot on the body mid section/flowers.
I would drop the exposure on this area and increase the face ... ever so slightly.
I would knock down the 'clarity' slider too (Adobe products).

I would also like to see a version without the sepia toning/coloring.

If you try another version... try this for giggles..... crop the image in from the right side.
Crop the right round decorative object out. I would coming into the vertical line just inside of the circular decorative piece.

just my 2 cent....

Mark

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:51 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Out of comfort zone + 2

Ziffl3 wrote:
I like the direction of #1.

when I deconstruct the image.... I see the hot spot on the body mid section/flowers.
I would drop the exposure on this area and increase the face ... ever so slightly.
I would knock down the 'clarity' slider too (Adobe products).

I would also like to see a version without the sepia toning/coloring.

If you try another version... try this for giggles..... crop the image in from the right side.
Crop the right round decorative object out. I would coming into the vertical line just inside of the circular decorative piece.

just my 2 cent....

Mark

Thanks for the suggestions Mark,

What you had in mind?

Bob

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:04 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Out of comfort zone + 2

Close but Keep the left side details from the wall. You will create a natural triangle in the image.
A little more practice on dodge and burn. The face look to soft because of the lightening.

With this crop... while workable feel too tight, hence the suggesting just a bring in the right side slightly.

Again.. just my take.

-Mark

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:05 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Out of comfort zone + 2

Ziffl3 wrote:
Close but Keep the left side details from the wall. You will create a natural triangle in the image.
A little more practice on dodge and burn. The face look to soft because of the lightening.

With this crop... while workable feel too tight, hence the suggesting just a bring in the right side slightly.

Again.. just my take.

-Mark

Thanks again for your insight Mark, points well made.

I think it time to return to the NEF and have a fresh start.

Appreciate your help,

Bob

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:31 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.