New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 5DsR Moire Potential

Bearmann
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DsR Moire Potential

Last year I shot this photo using the 5Ds. I would like to use the 5DsR this year, but I'm worried about moire. Do you think the repetition of people and color will make moire a likely possibility?

http://brsphoto.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p1599241149-4.jpg

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:22 PM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DsR Moire Potential

No. If you're going to see any moire it would be on very close examination of the fabric weave in their clothing, and only in (or very near) the plane of focus, and only if you are shooting at a wide aperture. If you shoot at something like f/11 the diffraction blurring acts like an AA filter and you won't see it anywhere.

Oct 05, 2016 at 07:05 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DsR Moire Potential

Moire is most obvious on repeating geometric patterns on higher resolution sensors (in my experience, 16MP and above). It shows up aggressively even on the AA-filtered sensors such as 5D2 with the right combination of fabrics or architectural materials.

Oct 05, 2016 at 07:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DsR Moire Potential

dmcphoto wrote:
No. If you're going to see any moire it would be on very close examination of the fabric weave in their clothing, and only in (or very near) the plane of focus, and only if you are shooting at a wide aperture. If you shoot at something like f/11 the diffraction blurring acts like an AA filter and you won't see it anywhere.

It was shot with the Canon 35mm f2 IS lens at f5.6.

Oct 05, 2016 at 07:25 PM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DsR Moire Potential

Bearmann wrote:
It was shot with the Canon 35mm f2 IS lens at f5.6.

Well, the DLA for the 5DSR is f/6.7 so moire is at least possible. The repetition of people, colors, arms, etc. are too course and too random to cause it. Patterns in clothing could cause it but only in or extremely close to the plane of focus. Elsewhere, but still within what we'd consider the DOF, there's enough blurring to eliminate it.

The subjects I shoot are not prone to moire. I've seen a very small amount only a couple times in bird feathers. In test shots produced to deliberately cause moire I've effectively dealt with it using ACR's moire tool. Knowing it was possible to deal with moire in post processing is what convinced me it was OK to pre-order a 5DSR back in April 2015, but I've never needed to do any correction. My "gut feeling" is that you'd be fine with the 5DSR. Due to its higher resolution the 5DSR produces less moire than other cameras with no AA filter like the D810, and people use those for everything without insurmountable problems. But if it's a shot that can't be repeated and you own a 5DS, why not just use it?

Oct 05, 2016 at 07:58 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DsR Moire Potential

Thanks for your assistance. The 5Ds was a rental, and I plan to do the same this year. Last year I played it safe due to these concerns, but I think I will try the 5DsR this year. I printed at 30 x 60 inches, but may go larger this year.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:11 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password