New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · First pano print from P800

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First pano print from P800

I tried my first pano with my newly purchased Epson P800 this morning. I did not buy the roller attachment yet as I wanted to do this test print first to get a feel for how difficult loading the roll would be. The image was supposed to be 16x44, it ended up 16x 42

I used some old Red River Aurora White that I only used for prints wider than 36 inches, I normally use Canson Photographique cut down from 24x 36 sheets.

I cut off 50 inches of paper and de-rolled it. I added a support in the back to hold the paper while feeding. It took a couple tries to avoid a skewed load message. I finally learned I could open the paper feed cover and see where the paper edge was and fix the skew by lining up with interior parts.

I did not allow enough margin and got a roll paper out message that cut off the last 2 inches of print. Easy to fix next time and good to know.

The print came out fine other than the loss of the left 2 inches. Using the Red river profile and recommended settings produced an image that is pretty acceptable, but which could use a bit more D-max. I expect Canson paper would solve this.

My wife said it's not a super image, and I guess she is right. I probably won't spend the money for a frame for this one. But I am excited to be able to print this large. I will probably go ahead and get the roll feed attachment.

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:05 PM
WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First pano print from P800

Ben I hope the new printer serves you well, I have had mine for a little over a year and I have only had a clog one time. Just be careful because 3rd party ink suppliers haven't got the refillable cartridges down yet.

Walt

Oct 05, 2016 at 07:34 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First pano print from P800

Now how cool is THAT! I would love to be able to print that large. I couldn't afford the ink but it would be nice to have the option when needed. Just dumped over $100 for ink for my Pixma Pro-100 and I've hardly ever printed on it.

It looks pretty nice to me! Even with the tape measure in the shot, it's hard to appreciate the true scale and size of it. I can't believe your not going to hang it. Although from my recent trip down the custom frame road I can understand. It's crazy expensive once you get outside the standard sizes.

I know nothing about how to properly mount images but could you use some type of spray adhesive and stick this onto a sheet of metal and mount it as a floating image without a frame? This is something I've always wanted to try as I have access to all kinds of sheet metal. I just don't know how to stick a print to it safely without messing it up.

My wife tells me that about my images all the time. In my case she's probably right, but in your case... not so much.

This is a cool post Ben. I know it's not critique but I enjoy this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing it here with us.

Dave

Oct 05, 2016 at 07:36 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First pano print from P800

Looking darn good
what are the changes since the 3800/3880?
Scott

Oct 05, 2016 at 07:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First pano print from P800

WalterF wrote:
Ben I hope the new printer serves you well, I have had mine for a little over a year and I have only had a clog one time. Just be careful because 3rd party ink suppliers haven't got the refillable cartridges down yet.

Walt

I hope it lasts as well as my 3800, 8 years until it finally died. I use Epson inks and I decided to save my print jobs so I could print at least once a week. I only had a few clogs with the 3800.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First pano print from P800

lighthound wrote:
Now how cool is THAT! I would love to be able to print that large. I couldn't afford the ink but it would be nice to have the option when needed. Just dumped over $100 for ink for my Pixma Pro-100 and I've hardly ever printed on it.

It looks pretty nice to me! Even with the tape measure in the shot, it's hard to appreciate the true scale and size of it. I can't believe your not going to hang it. Although from my recent trip down the custom frame road I can understand. It's crazy expensive once you
...Show more

I have never been able to use adhesive without bubbles, You need an expensive dry mount machine to make it work. I use a heavy paper that does not wrinkle. Red River Aurora does, which is why I moved to Canson. I hinge mount it which avoids bubbles and wrinkles.

This image is competing with other stuff I have on the walls which are more dramatic. Low drama shots have a hard time competing.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First pano print from P800

sbeme wrote:
Looking darn good
what are the changes since the 3800/3880?
Scott

A whole new ink set and I guess smaller dot sizes and the ability to handle roll paper and longer lengths. It seems to handle paper better as well, or at least with more control for skew. My 3800 was always showing paper skew error, but this one forces you to load better. There is nothing fast about loading a print job, for letter size, the load might take as long as the printing, or a big fraction of it.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:34 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password