FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

ocean2059
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Surfnsun wrote:
Could you expand on what you mean by that a bit?

The Otus lenses have very little weaknesses. One can really use them in any F/stops without compromises. Their near field and far field (near infinity) performance are equality excellent. I noticed many sharp images of F/1.4 at near infinity distance, particularly for the Otus 85mm, which cannot be said for some other 85mm/f1.4 lenses. I also like the way they rendered color: very neutral, clear, and with a subtle color gradient and brilliance. Compared to the best of Nikon/Sony/Leica glasses, I found that Outs images are cleaner with more fluidity. Some may argue that Otus lenses are too ‘perfect’ and hence lacking of characters. But to me, it’s that balanced approach for perfection that attracts me. Using Otus lenses forces me to be more deliberate, selective, and disciplined technically of the shots that I take, which I found to be an enjoyable experience.

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:13 PM
No Regrets
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

ocean2059 wrote:
Don, if you are happy with the resolution of the Df sensor, I would recommend that you go with Otus 85. While D810/D800 would be a better sensor for Outs, as T-Gordon suggested, D810/D800 requires more focus accuracy to maximize that benefit.

I have both Nikon 200/2 VR1 and Otus 85. I use 200/2 as sports lens rather than portrait lens. To me, Otus 85 is a "perfect" lens for portrait and landscape lens. I recently took Otus 85 on a trip and use it as a travel lens (with my D810). Other than the size and weight, which I
...Show more

Hi ocean2059,

Thank you for sharing your comments with me. I'm glad to hear that the Otus is equally adept at both portraits and landscape duties! I do love the 85mm focal length and use my Nikon 85mm f1.4 AIS quite often. It's certainly not an Otus, but it's still very nice and versatile with many various subjects As Mark suggested, it may be prudent to wait and see how the Sigma Art 85 fairs against the Otus... so with that in mind, I'm going to put the brakes on getting the Zeiss Milvus/Otus until I see how the Art unfolds.

Best wishes,
Don

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:10 PM
No Regrets
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Joseph. wrote:
Df with both the 200/2 VR and 200/2 AIS

Great images, Joseph! Wow those chubby's look absolutely massive on the Df! But if the output is as nice as you describe...it will be worth it

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:12 PM
No Regrets
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Joseph. wrote:
I've shot the Df with all versions of the 200 f/2 and the Zeiss 135/2, but I have no experience with the Zeiss Otus 85. There is something about the Df/D4 sensor that gives deep, rich rendering; Perhaps those big fat 'light wells' do make a difference.

If I could only have one, I would choose the 200 f/2 -no question. Sure, it doesn't balance well with the Df, but so do the rest of the non-gripped bodies. I had a long arca plate on my 200 f/2 that served as a handle, so I carry the lens with that
...Show more

Hi Joseph,

I absolutely love my silver Df as well whether I'm using all my manual focus lenses or autofocus lens. I agree about the theory of the big fat photo cells making a difference I appreciate the tip with the settings for autofocusing! I will give that a try.

I love your enthusiasm about the Df and 200f2 combo and I think that has pushed me over the edge I think I'll be buying a 200f2 VR2 this weekend I'm going to wait for a period of time before pursuing the Otus any further until I see how the Art 85 turns out.

Many thanks for your contributions to this thread as well as the PM's you shared with me awhile back when I first started giving this combination some initial thoughts.

Best wishes,
Don

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:22 PM
No Regrets
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

ocean2059 wrote:
The Otus lenses have very little weaknesses. One can really use them in any F/stops without compromises. Their near field and far field (near infinity) performance are equality excellent. I noticed many sharp images of F/1.4 at near infinity distance, particularly for the Otus 85mm, which cannot be said for some other 85mm/f1.4 lenses. I also like the way they rendered color: very neutral, clear, and with a subtle color gradient and brilliance. Compared to the best of Nikon/Sony/Leica glasses, I found that Outs images are cleaner with more fluidity. Some may argue that Otus lenses are too ‘perfect’ and
...Show more

I appreciate your comments regarding the Otus. I feel the same way about how my 135APO renders. It seems just so "pure". And that's why the Otus 85 is so high on my list as I hope it will be virtually the same as my 135, but in a faster, shorter focal length.

Ultimately, I want to have both the 200f2 and a new 85f1.4 (whether that turns out to be the Otus or the Art), I just can't afford to do both right now.... big home remodel project going on right now. Seeing as I have a decent 85 (1.4AIS) right now, I've decided to go with the 200f2 VR2 now... If all goes right, this weekend

Thanks again,
Don

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:31 PM
johnmondy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

I agree with Tommy - I had the Zeiss 135 (several times) and shot it on a DF and D810 and I loved it on the DF and as Tommy said it was very close to the 200 f2.....fast forward 2 years and I'm now on my second and final 200 f2...you just can't beat it for auto focus speed and subject isolation - 85mm I totally agree with Tommy the Milvus is an incredible value on the used market......tried the Otus 55 but never the 85 and although equally impressive I'm done with manual focus on a Nikon body (I get frustrated easily)

Now if I was still a Sony user I think I would still be shooting Zeiss manual glass.

John

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:06 AM
No Regrets
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Hi John!

Thank you for coming by and sharing your thoughts and experiences with me! It's nice to hear from people that have some of the same lenses and camera bodies as me, so I have some kind of reference

The 200f2 must be a special lens if you and others are willing to buy it multiple times I agree, there will be times when I will definitely appreciate the fast and accurate autofocus.

Thanks again John.
Best wishes,
Don

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

paulski66
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Joseph. wrote:
Df with both the 200/2 VR and 200/2 AIS

Wow...thanks!

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:38 AM
No Regrets
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

So just a quick update....

As I had mentioned earlier, ultimately I want to own both the 200f2 and Otus 85, but can't afford to do both right now due to a home remodel project going on right now.

I decided to buy the Nikon 200mm f/2 VR2 now because I don't have that focal length at the moment. Secondly, I thought it might be prudent to take some time and see how well the Sigma Art 85 fairs against the Otus 85, as I can still utilize my Nikon 85 f/1.4 AIS in the meantime

I bought the Hejnar replacement lens foot for my 200f2 and absolutely love it. It's made extremely well and can't say enough about Chris Hejnar's customer service The lens foot works perfectly as a handle which helps a lot with the ergonomics of this chunky lens. The downside is that you can no longer reverse the hood, but I'd much rather be able to utilize the lens foot as a handle. I bought a Think Tank bag where I can transport the lens mounted to the body with the hood in the ready position... works great!

PA123596 by Don Sawall, on Flickr

PA123645 by Don Sawall, on Flickr

Thank you to everyone who offered their thoughts and experiences with me while I tried to decide on which direction to go.

I look forward to adding to the lens family again next year with the new 85

Best wishes,
Don

Oct 14, 2016 at 04:12 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

The Otus 85 is a very nice and refined fast 85, but it's not exactly a revelation in terms of photographic perspective. I feel like if you've shot competent 85's (and I've shot many), the Otus isn't going to give you something really distinctive. But there's nothing that gives you the look that a 200 f/2 does. If it weren't so damn heavy and intimidating, I would own the latter. That said, I will likely be settling for the 105 f/1.4.

Arka C.

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:49 AM
low325
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

i still have a Df and a 55 Otus and a 200f2. If you're set on the 85 Otus you should actively pursue this option. The Otus line still gives a rendering that is close to medium format -look. (what does that look like? thats for you to answer ) I think this pairs well with a Df sensor and its ability to keep color accuracy up to arguably high ISO. Do you like to shoot in B/W? There's something about the Df sensor paired with the 'sharp across the entire frame' Otus that makes images very special.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:05 PM
No Regrets
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

low325 wrote:
i still have a Df and a 55 Otus and a 200f2. If you're set on the 85 Otus you should actively pursue this option. The Otus line still gives a rendering that is close to medium format -look. (what does that look like? thats for you to answer ) I think this pairs well with a Df sensor and its ability to keep color accuracy up to arguably high ISO. Do you like to shoot in B/W? There's something about the Df sensor paired with the 'sharp across the entire frame' Otus that makes images very special.

Hi low325 and thank you for your post.

I too love my Df very much. The sensor is incredible and I do a lot of low light shooting. But even in good light conditions I love it's output.

I think I know what you mean about the Otus rendering as I love the rendering of my Zeiss 135 Apo which many say is as close to an Otus as one can get. I seriously think that both the Otus 85 and Otus 28 will be in my future... but probably not until next year when I will have more funds available.

All I can say is... it's a wonderful time to be a photographer, as there are so many fantastic lenses and bodies for us to choose from

Thanks again!
Don

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:23 AM
Frederico

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

I used 200 f2 VRII and 135f2 APO on D810. They both give excellent IQ in terms of sharpness and boken. Although the 200 f2 has an edge, it's weight and size led me to sell it (actually delivering it tomorrow to a lucky buyer). The 135 APO gives me portability and less fatigue, so I enjoy more shooting with it. Of course it depends if you're comfortable with manual focus and type of objects that you are shooting.

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:46 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password