New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

No Regrets
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

For those of you fortunate enough to have owned both of these fine lenses, if you could only have one... Which would you choose?

Background info...
I have Zeiss 21 and 135APO already as well as Nikon 85 f1.4ais and Nippon Kogaku 105P f2.5, so I'm very comfortable with manual focus. Also have the Sigma Art 50 f1.4, so I'm not anti autofocus, lol.
Primary purpose for the 200f2 and Otus would be portraits, secondary uses would be some landscape (Otus) and some close range wildlife (200f2).
I'd be using these on my Df which shares the same sensor as the D4.
Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated😊
Best wishes,
Don

Oct 05, 2016 at 04:36 PM
T_Gordon
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

An Otus on a Df is a very depressing outcome as they beg for the D8XX sensor and you don't see its full potential without it.

I haven't tried the 85 Otus but have used a 55 Otus and a chubby on a Df and, if it were me, I'd choose the chubby for the above reason. That being said, I would choose an 85 Milvus over the chubby on a Df unless you really need 200mm though. The 85 Milvus is a remarkable bargain!

Oct 05, 2016 at 04:51 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Seems like the obvious decision is if you want 85mm or 200mm. Both are excellent lenses.

I use my 200mm and DF all the time. Looks hilarious

Oct 05, 2016 at 05:35 PM
paulski66
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

chuhsi1 wrote:
Seems like the obvious decision is if you want 85mm or 200mm. Both are excellent lenses.

I want to see a picture of this...

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:20 PM
No Regrets
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

T_Gordon wrote:
An Otus on a Df is a very depressing outcome as they beg for the D8XX sensor and you don't see its full potential without it.

I haven't tried the 85 Otus but have used a 55 Otus and a chubby on a Df and, if it were me, I'd choose the chubby for the above reason. That being said, I would choose an 85 Milvus over the chubby on a Df unless you really need 200mm though. The 85 Milvus is a remarkable bargain!

Hi and thank you for your reply

I must admit I'm a little surprised by you describing the outcome of the Otus and the Df as being "very depressing" I realize that the Nikon 8** series would reveal more sharpness, but I'm very happy with the amount of sharpness and more importantly the colors, contrasts, and overall rendering I get with my Zeiss 135 APO which has the same sharpness as the Otus 85. I guess I was hoping the Otus 85 would give me a similar result as my 135APO.

The other way I look at it is that bodies will come and go, but high quality lenses are forever. My Df will wear out at some point or may possibly be replaced with a Df2 that may have a higher rez sensor in the future...
But I understand what you are saying... in the here and now... my current Df will not realize the full potential of the Otus resolution, which is important to point out. I'm just hoping that it wouldn't be so depressing.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and experience with me!
Don

Edited on Oct 06, 2016 at 11:45 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:00 PM
No Regrets
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

chuhsi1 wrote:

Hi chuhsi1,

Thanks for your reply! I can only imagine how ridiculous the chubby would look on the Df, but unfortunately, I'm only a one camera body guy. I'm hoping the 200f2 will work well with the Df sensor and produce very pleasing sharpness, rich colors and contrast to make it worth the effort of handling all that weight of the Chub.

Have you been happy with the results using it on your Df? Is it absolutely horrible shooting with this combo? Many times I'll have it mounted on my RRS tripod, but there will be plenty of times I'll want to shoot handheld as well.

Thanks again for your reply!
Don

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:07 PM
T_Gordon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

No Regrets wrote:
Hi and thank you for your reply

I must admit I'm a little surprised by you describing the outcome of the Otus and the Df as being "very depressing" I realize that the Nikon 8** series would reveal more sharpness, but I'm very happy with the amount of sharpness and more importantly the colors, contrasts, and overall rendering I get with my Zeiss 135 APO which has the same sharpness as the Otus 85. I guess I was hoping the Otus 85 would give me a similar result as my 135APO.

The other way I look at it
...Show more

Don,

My basis on saying depressing is from a back to back comparison with a D810 and Df of the same scene. The Df output is great; however, it's a very substantial degradation of quality/detail from the D810. That being said, if you're happy with the 135 output (I loved the 135 before I moved to the 105 f1.4E!!) then you'll be happy with the Otus but I still stand by very highly suggesting the 85 Milvus though.

Shooting a Df and 200 f2 handheld isn't really bad at all since you have to support the lens as much as you do which inherently helps with the Df since it's so light. A good monopod helps out a lot. I really liked the Df/200 output but in all honestly the Df/135 is near identical in nearly every scene I used it in when I had the combo.

FWIW, I'm anxiously waiting to hear what the Df replacement will turn out to be. If it comes with the D5 sensor and a 1/8000 shutter I'll be pre-ordering the day I can!

Tommy

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:32 PM
No Regrets
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

T_Gordon wrote:
Don,

My basis on saying depressing is from a back to back comparison with a D810 and Df of the same scene. The Df output is great; however, it's a very substantial degradation of quality/detail from the D810. That being said, if you're happy with the 135 output (I loved the 135 before I moved to the 105 f1.4E!!) then you'll be happy with the Otus but I still stand by very highly suggesting the 85 Milvus though.

Shooting a Df and 200 f2 handheld isn't really bad at all since you have to support the lens as much as you
...Show more

Hi Tommy,

I can certainly understand where you are coming from with your comparison between the 810 and Df. I'm glad to hear that I can expect results to be similar between the Otus and my 135 as I really love the 135

If the Df replacement is as you hope it will be... I'll be right behind you in the pro-order line

Thanks again Tommy for adding to your reply. I respect your thoughts and appreciate you sharing your experiences with me!

Best wishes,
Don

Oct 06, 2016 at 03:10 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

These are two totally different focal lengths and we don't even know what you shoot.

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:58 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

No Regrets wrote:
Hi chuhsi1,

Thanks for your reply! I can only imagine how ridiculous the chubby would look on the Df, but unfortunately, I'm only a one camera body guy. I'm hoping the 200f2 will work well with the Df sensor and produce very pleasing sharpness, rich colors and contrast to make it worth the effort of handling all that weight of the Chub.

Have you been happy with the results using it on your Df? Is it absolutely horrible shooting with this combo? Many times I'll have it mounted on my RRS tripod, but there will be plenty of times I'll want
...Show more

I had the 135mm as well with my DF, but eventually sold it because taking pictures of my young kids with it was nearly impossible. but if i got a sharp picture...WOW. i liked the output more than what i get from the 200mmf2. might be a zeiss thing?

My other body is a d4s so i'm also in the 16mp camp.

the 200f2 output is of course excellent on the df. any lens of decent size is awkward on the DF as you know until you change your holding style. but a monopod would definitely help. I hand-hold and typically shoot at 1/250 or faster.

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

No Regrets
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Mark_L wrote:
These are two totally different focal lengths and we don't even know what you shoot.

Hi Mark,

In my very first post I wrote....

"Background info...
I have Zeiss 21 and 135APO already as well as Nikon 85 f1.4ais and Nippon Kogaku 105P f2.5, so I'm very comfortable with manual focus. Also have the Sigma Art 50 f1.4, so I'm not anti autofocus, lol.
Primary purpose for the 200f2 and Otus would be portraits, secondary uses would be some landscape (Otus) and some close range wildlife (200f2).
I'd be using these on my Df which shares the same sensor as the D4."

So yes, I realize that they are two different focal lengths but they are both highly regarded as portrait lenses....which would be my primary purpose for both of these lenses. If I get the Otus 85, the secondary purpose would be some landscape shots. If I get the 200f2, the secondary purpose would be close range wild life, such as blue herron, swans, pelicans, etc. Both lenses would be used on my Nikon Df.

Ultimately, I want to own both lenses, but can only afford one or the other at this time.

Best wishes,
Don

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:08 AM
No Regrets
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

chuhsi1 wrote:
I had the 135mm as well with my DF, but eventually sold it because taking pictures of my young kids with it was nearly impossible. but if i got a sharp picture...WOW. i liked the output more than what i get from the 200mmf2. might be a zeiss thing?

My other body is a d4s so i'm also in the 16mp camp.

the 200f2 output is of course excellent on the df. any lens of decent size is awkward on the DF as you know until you change your holding style. but a monopod would definitely help. I hand-hold and typically shoot
...Show more

Thanks chuhsi1 for your reply. I agree, hitting moving subjects can be challenging with manual focus, especially if they are moving erratically If they are moving in a more predictable fashion, zone focussing can be helpful.

As to the output between the Zeiss 135 and the 200f2... can you elaborate on how they differed? You may PM if you'd like

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me!

Best wishes,
Don

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:29 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

No Regrets wrote:
Hi Mark,

In my very first post I wrote....

"Background info...
I'd be using these on my Df which shares the same sensor as the D4."

So yes, I realize that they are two different focal lengths but they are both highly
...Show more

Oops, I missed that.

For the 85mm, I'd wait until the sigma ART 85 is released and has some rigorous testing done. It may stack up well to the otus and save you a pile of money while giving you af for portraits especially as I'm guessing you picked the sigma 50mm over the 55mm otus?

Otherwise I guess since you want both anyway pick whichever you'll use the most at this time of year.

Oct 07, 2016 at 10:25 AM
No Regrets
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Mark_L wrote:
Oops, I missed that.

For the 85mm, I'd wait until the sigma ART 85 is released and has some rigorous testing done. It may stack up well to the otus and save you a pile of money while giving you af for portraits especially as I'm guessing you picked the sigma 50mm over the 55mm otus?

Otherwise I guess since you want both anyway pick whichever you'll use the most at this time of year.

Thanks Mark for the reply. Yes, that's a great idea about waiting for the Sigma Art 85 to come out and see how it performs. I just learned that they will be finally coming out with this long awaited lens and I like saving money just as much as anyone

Best wishes,
Don

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:15 AM
ocean2059
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Don, if you are happy with the resolution of the Df sensor, I would recommend that you go with Otus 85. While D810/D800 would be a better sensor for Outs, as T-Gordon suggested, D810/D800 requires more focus accuracy to maximize that benefit.

I have both Nikon 200/2 VR1 and Otus 85. I use 200/2 as sports lens rather than portrait lens. To me, Otus 85 is a "perfect" lens for portrait and landscape lens. I recently took Otus 85 on a trip and use it as a travel lens (with my D810). Other than the size and weight, which I didn't mind, it worked out very nicely.

The more I use the Otus lenses, I more I appreciate the design virtues of the Otus line lenses.

Oct 07, 2016 at 04:07 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

ocean2059 wrote:
The more I use the Otus lenses, I more I appreciate the design virtues of the Otus line lenses.

Could you expand on what you mean by that a bit?

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:13 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

chuhsi1 wrote:

paulski66 wrote:
I want to see a picture of this...

Df with both the 200/2 VR and 200/2 AIS

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:49 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Joseph. wrote:
Df with both the 200/2 VR and 200/2 AIS

You have two DF's? I need to get me one again

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:57 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

I've shot the Df with all versions of the 200 f/2 and the Zeiss 135/2, but I have no experience with the Zeiss Otus 85. There is something about the Df/D4 sensor that gives deep, rich rendering; Perhaps those big fat 'light wells' do make a difference.

If I could only have one, I would choose the 200 f/2 -no question. Sure, it doesn't balance well with the Df, but so do the rest of the non-gripped bodies. I had a long arca plate on my 200 f/2 that served as a handle, so I carry the lens with that with the Df attached.

My only complaint with the combo was the Df's AF points are clustered in the middle, so I always used center point, then AF-lock, recompose, and shoot (using release priority). This worked well.

The Df shines when paired with vintage manual focus glass where its AF becomes a non-factor. However, it does work very well with AF glasses like the 200 f/2. I've shot some of my best images with this combination.

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:10 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon 200 f2 vs Otus 85 f1.4

Elijah wrote:
You have two DF's? I need to get me one again

Just one. Had the black Df, sold it and bought the silver. Been loving it ever since!
These Df's are some work of art.. The black one looks so FINE with the 58G!

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password