FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Watermarking?

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Watermarking?

There has been a growing trend in the past few years to not watermark images that go on blogs, etc. Is watermarking less important? Is it intrusive? Does it matter? It still makes me feel better to know that there is some connection back to me when I post images online.

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:16 PM
rdeloe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Watermarking?

We all hope that by watermarking our images won't get ripped off... Personally, I think the price is too high (wrecks the image if it's an effective watermark, in other words, a big one!) Obviously that's just personal taste.

Another option: what about writing your information into a margin that is added around the image at export. Someone who wants to rip you off can obviously just crop, but at least it's unquestionable that they're ripping you off if they crop off your margin information.

I use Lightroom and the Mogrify plugin to do this. There are Photoshop tools that do it as well. See images at www.robdeloephotography.com. My info is written in a white margin up the right-hand side.

Also, I only put small sized images on the internet. That's probably the most meaningful defense.

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:21 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Watermarking?

I am less worried about images being ripped off...if someone really wants to do it, they will find a way. I am more worried about not getting the marketing kick when things go on facebook, etc.

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:29 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Watermarking?

I hear ya dude... IDK. I think about ditching the watermark since FB scans images for wording which ultimately affects reach. I don't really care about the marketing potential since if anybody really likes the image, they'll will ask where it came from. The only reason I still like using a watermark is because it's like signing a picture you drew/painted.

Keith

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:41 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Watermarking?

I still watermark the blog images, but not client teases / screen size images. Happy clients give word-of-mouth referrals, but blog views are total strangers and I want them to see the logo — then connect with it when it's on the wall of their venue. If they see your logo a few times it adds credibility.

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Watermarking?

I still watermark FB images, I don't know why, hobbit I guess. Blog photos I don't watermark. Not worried about theft of wedding portrait photos. If I was still doing commercial work I would be more concerned but I would also have them registered with the CopyRight office before I posted for the public to see.

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:29 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Watermarking?

I've always done it.

IMO it's worked for me more times for me than its worked against me, so meh, why not?

Oct 05, 2016 at 05:13 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Watermarking?

joelconner wrote:
I am less worried about images being ripped off...if someone really wants to do it, they will find a way. I am more worried about not getting the marketing kick when things go on facebook, etc.

I follow the same logic, but at the same time I really think that everything would look better without.

Do you guys watermark on your website/blog?

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:40 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Watermarking?

I've seen some people do a simple white frame (border) with their info on the frame, keeps it off the photo at least and still has your info. I imagine it would be easy to turn into an action.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:42 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Watermarking?

joelconner wrote:
There has been a growing trend in the past few years to not watermark images that go on blogs,

I remember when there was a growing trend to pretty much obliterate images with watermarks like it was dropping a 1" steel bar jail cell door of protection around them. Ghastly!
Pretty sure a lot of heavily watermarked images saved the shooter getting bookings far better than it saved them getting ripped off.

I have never watermarked images, didn't see the point but I never used them for blogs or faceboob either so there are considerations there.
Depends why you are doing something the outcome you are looking to achieve with it.

I think an elegant, tasteful and smallish watermark or signature can look very good on an image and enhance it's artistic view or perception of quality..... On the right image, in the right place with the right logo/ signature.

I think it's like anything else, You do it simply and elegantly with style and it's a winner.
You make it look like a dogs breakfast and that's exactly what you end up with and how it will be perceived.

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:32 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password