Archive 2016 · Help finding beginner macro lens

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Snopchenko wrote:
The non-OS version: 80 x 137 mm, 895 g
The OS version: 80 x 150 mm, 1150 g

I would think the image stabilizer is well worth the extra 255 grams... unless you're always shooting on a tripod and carrying it with you anyway, that is.

The used price would be closer to the OP's target. I would rarely if ever use such a lens outside the macro range where a tripod or at least a flash would usually be indicated.

If you are carrying two cameras, 100-400 II, 500/4 IS, 24-105/4 IS II, two flashes, 3 series tripod with full gimbal and a small ballhead, wouldn't you rather have a smaller macro?

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:15 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Help finding beginner macro lens

EB-1 wrote:
The used price would be closer to the OP's target. I would rarely if ever use such a lens outside the macro range where a tripod or at least a flash would usually be indicated.

If you are carrying two cameras, 100-400 II, 500/4 IS, 24-105/4 IS II, two flashes, 3 series tripod with full gimbal and a small ballhead, wouldn't you rather have a smaller macro?

EBH

Eh... I think that next to a 500/4 of whatever stripe the savings of 250 grams are not noticeable. If I had the 100-400 II (1:3 magnification they say!) I would probably ditch the macro altogether and just carry an extension tube. (I could've said "just use a 150-600 lens instead of the superteles, but that'd probably get me banned for life ).

Oct 08, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Something as simple as a Vivitar macro lens will do the job and keep extra dollars in your pocket.

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Snopchenko wrote:
Eh... I think that next to a 500/4 of whatever stripe the savings of 250 grams are not noticeable. If I had the 100-400 II (1:3 magnification they say!) I would probably ditch the macro altogether and just carry an extension tube. (I could've said "just use a 150-600 lens instead of the superteles, but that'd probably get me banned for life ).

We are talking about macro, which is around 1:1 or maybe 1:4 at the distance where I'd consider switching to a tele zoom. The awful close focus distance of 150-600 lenses is one reason I don't have any. The 100-400 II indeed has very close focus for such a focal length range, though the lens is nowhere near 400 I suspect.

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:20 PM
Kmccarthy
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Help finding beginner macro lens

This uncropped image was taken handheld with an SL1 and kit lens (18-55 STM). The lens was about 10 inches from the coin. Seems more than adequate for a "grasshopper on a leaf" as mentioned by the op. The SL1 kit was $329 from canon refurbished. It cost less than many of the lenses being discussed and is quite adequate for a beginner.

Oct 08, 2016 at 07:36 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Help finding beginner macro lens

The Canon EF Life Size Adapter seems to work with more than just the 50mm compact macro lens, and it adds some close up capabilities. You lose infinity focus- just like using an extension tube.

These are very reasonable on the used market.

Oct 08, 2016 at 08:42 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password