New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · Help finding beginner macro lens

sphaero126

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Hello,
I recently returned from a trip to Ecuador and realized that my point and shoot isnt cutting it. I ordered a basic Canon Rebel T5 1200D.

I am looking for a lens $500 or less to use as a macro lens. Im not looking for a lens that can zoom in on the hair follicles of a bug antenna, just a lens that can take a crisp pic of an entire insect, lizard, or plant leaf.

A friend recommended a Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro lens. Can you guys offer any other options in that price range that might be better?

Thanks in advance,

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:09 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help finding beginner macro lens

You can find the Canon 100mm Macro USM for $500 or less; a fine lens, replaced by the more modern 100L IS macro a few years ago, but it gave up nothing in sharpness to the new L version. True 1:1 magnification capabilities as well.
Jerry

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:13 AM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Canon 60mm and 100mm F/2.8 non-IS (the non-L version) also fit the bill... The 100mm might be a bit better as you won't have to get quite as close to the insect you're shooting for 100% magnification.

The 60mm F/2.8 Canon lens only works with crop cameras (like your new Rebel). You might also be interested in a ring flash to go with your macro lens. Yongnuo has YN-14EX for around $100. You might be able to swing both a lens and the flash within your budget.

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:16 AM
Coltrane
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Jerry's right. The Canon 100mm 2.8 (non IS) lens is a bargain these days. Used ones go for $225 - $325. Great lens, and the same IQ as the newer IS version.

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:17 AM
sphaero126

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Is there anything wrong with buying a used lens? I guess I mean what would I look for to make sure I am not getting anything that is unfit for use?

I see the canon 100mm lens for $599 on amazon new, if im looking at the correct lens. A friend also recommended a ring flash too, and would be nice to find both.
Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:21 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Check here:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-
lenses#facet:&productBeginIndex:36&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

at the Canon refurbished store; sales tax could kick it up to $500, but its listed at $479.99, good as brand new, with warranty. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying used, most people do. From the big stores like B&H or Adorama, there's even a 30-day return policy, so you have nothing to lose. KEH has a few on hand from $349-399, all at EX or EX+ quality, and with KEH, EX means you can't tell it from brand-new. Their return policy is 14 days though...here's a link:
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-ef-100mm-f-2-8-macro-usm-lens.html

You'll do fine, just need to look around and get your bearings a bit...
Jerry

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:39 AM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help finding beginner macro lens

sphaero126 wrote:
Is there anything wrong with buying a used lens? I guess I mean what would I look for to make sure I am not getting anything that is unfit for use?

I see the canon 100mm lens for $599 on amazon new, if im looking at the correct lens. A friend also recommended a ring flash too, and would be nice to find both.

I bought mine from Canon refurbished, when they had a sale, for a little over $400. Love it.

I have this ring flash: https://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-14EX-Macro-Flash-Light/dp/B00F5UY9XE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475678646&sr=8-1&keywords=yongnuo+ring+flash

Affordable and functional.

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:46 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help finding beginner macro lens

A quick word about "used"...
Photography equipment is usually well-cared for, because its so d-----d expensive; but, people tend to "upgrade" regularly as technology improves. Therefore the used market flourishes, with most offerings in pretty good shape for the use they've seen. A problem is that prices tend to stay high because many see lenses, especially, as an investment that doesn't lose value over time like, say, cars, or many other consumer products. The better name-brands also tend to build their products to last, to hold up to professional use in the field, so that a ten-year-old lens can easily be in as good a shape as one brand new.

As with any purchase from an individual, a person has to develop a feel for the seller, and at some point there will be a leap of faith (trust), that your money will get you the product. The Buy-and-Sell boards here at Fred Miranda has a system of buyer-seller reviews that is pretty effective, but scams do leak through, and it takes time to establish a reputation and history. There are several big names (I mentioned three above) that are well-established national mail-order entities (with brick-and-mortar home bases) that are easy to deal with and backed by a solid reputation, but it'll cost you more than a personal purchase from an individual. You pay for peace of mind...

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, I'm feeling loquacious and probably just putting off work this morning...
And, the 100mm f/2.8 macro lens was my first Canon purchase past a kit lens, and I LOVED it...
Jerry

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:58 AM
sphaero126

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Awesome. This is exactly the info I was looking for. With my other hobbies, I know what to look for, so its not an issue buying second hand. But with a camera lens, I always get a little scared, because its new to me. I like the KEH rating system. I am not sure where they are located, but I work relatively close to B&H and could always look at some in person that way.

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:10 AM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Another vote for the 100mm 2.8 USM. I found one on Craigslist for $350. Nice thing about that route is you can test it out before you buy.

Heron

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:27 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help finding beginner macro lens

sphaero126 wrote:

The lens is super but stay clear of the ringflash, there probably isn't any worse light than the light produced by a cheap ring flash...

Oct 05, 2016 at 01:42 PM
nads
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help finding beginner macro lens

For a little more working distance, find a used Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro. I loved that lens.

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:30 PM
halse
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Another option: Canon refurbished 100mm with IS is under $700 (when on sale) and the non-IS version is under $500 all the time. With Canon refurbished you get a one year warranty.

Since my macros are hand held.the IS version beats the older version by a lot.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:31 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help finding beginner macro lens

Another vote for the Sigma 150 2.8 APO macro.

The older non stabilized one should be in your budget (the new stabilized one would be beyond).

Quite a nice macro lens that doubles as a decent tele lens for portraits.

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help finding beginner macro lens

A macro is a not really a beginner lens. They are not updated very often and the IQ has been high for decades. Buy a good one and do not regret it. There are always numerous macros for sale as many people find them of limited use.

Do not underestimate the value of a tripod collar on a macro lens.

EBH

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:16 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help finding beginner macro lens

EB-1 wrote:
Do not underestimate the value of a tripod collar on a macro lens.

A very good advice - I wouldn't ever again buy a macro lens without a tripod collar either included or at least as optional accessory, no matter what the focal length or weight of the lens is.

Oct 06, 2016 at 01:43 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help finding beginner macro lens

charlyw wrote:
A very good advice - I wouldn't ever again buy a macro lens without a tripod collar either included or at least as optional accessory, no matter what the focal length or weight of the lens is.

I have a 60mm macro that doesn't need a collar because it's really small and light, very very sharp too.

But it's a good reason to check out the EOS M5 because the EF lens adapter has a removable mount so any lens can be tripod mounted

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:08 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help finding beginner macro lens

dhphoto wrote:
I have a 60mm macro that doesn't need a collar because it's really small and light, very very sharp too.

That is not the reason why a tripod collar is imperative - if you are using a tripod (as IMHO is a must in macro photography) then you need to be able to react to the subject moving about and if that movement is just resulting in a small aspect change that requires a different composition or alignment then the ability to get the shot without having to completely redo your tripod setup rests solely on the tripod mount...

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:25 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help finding beginner macro lens

charlyw wrote:
That is not the reason why a tripod collar is imperative - if you are using a tripod (as IMHO is a must in macro photography) then you need to be able to react to the subject moving about and if that movement is just resulting in a small aspect change that requires a different composition or alignment then the ability to get the shot without having to completely redo your tripod setup rests solely on the tripod mount...

Just use a decent ball head

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:26 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Help finding beginner macro lens

dhphoto wrote:
Just use a decent ball head

A ball head changes nothing! If you need to adjust the orientation angle by a few degrees (which can't be done in post as rotations of only a few degrees does completely destroy the image quality) then you are so screwed as you have to completely change the complete tripod setup, as changing the angle means that you are also changing the subject position in the frame and thus the composition.

Oct 06, 2016 at 03:17 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.