New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · is something wrong... thank you for yor help

gambaphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · is something wrong... thank you for yor help

Hi all,
I'm looking to see if anyone might be able to help, I picked up an X100S and a X-Pro1 recently to use to lighten the load at weddings also to get back to a optical viewfinder. The cameras handle amazingly well, the balance is great and most of all they truly function like a camera, i love having an aperture ring and shutter speed dial in a natural place not buried in menus ( I use and LOVE Sony A7 cameras). I took my X100S along at my last wedding to give it a spin during the reception and it felt great and natural.

But.... when I got back to the studio and I uploaded the photos I noticed on all the photos that there was what I would call "Modeling". I shot in RAW.. SO I processed in LR and then I also went back to the camera and processed in camera (neat feature Fuji). I have included a cut out from a photo and you can clearly see it in her hair and skin. I noticed it get worse with added sharpness so this is at LR standard sharpening of 25. and it looks very similar when processed in camera.

My question is, is this normal? do I have a setting off?

Thank you as always for your help,
Paul

© gambaphoto 2016

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:05 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · is something wrong... thank you for yor help

gambaphoto wrote:
My question is, is this normal? do I have a setting off?

Thank you as always for your help,
Paul

You are most likely running into the 'bane' (or 'exaggeration', depending on who you ask) of the 16MP Xtrans feature we call 'worms' or 'watercolor effect'.

It's just the way Xtrans happens to demosaic when in Lightroom. Sometimes it is very noticeable (distant foliage and fine limbs or strands, etc. like the specular highlights on her skin and hair), other times not.

In lightroom, to minimize this, try lowering sharpening radius to 0.5, amount to around 20 and detail around 40 or so. Experiment with those parameters, as you'll need to sharpen 16MP Xtrans differently than regular bayer sensors.

Additionally, 24MP Xtrans (Xpro2, XT2) act different still (less of this effect, if any at all).

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:49 PM
gambaphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · is something wrong... thank you for yor help

Cputeq
Thank you very much I will put it the test

Oct 05, 2016 at 04:00 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · is something wrong... thank you for yor help

cputeq wrote:
In lightroom, to minimize this, try lowering sharpening radius to 0.5, amount to around 20 and detail around 40 or so. Experiment with those parameters, as you'll need to sharpen 16MP Xtrans differently than regular bayer sensors.

You are correct that the 16MP files will not be at their best if sharpened with settings that might work for other cameras. Compared to my Canon DSLRs, I also tend to use lower radius (the same .5 value you use) and slightly lower amount — though because I have a different workflow my amount values are a bit different than yours.

Dan

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:42 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · is something wrong... thank you for yor help

Here are links to some recent and useful tests and comparisons of the most recent sensor in the X-Pro2 with other cameras as well as a discussion on some counterintuitive PP techniques for X-Trans files. It also discusses the current state of X-Trans support with raw converters. This should be applicable to the 16MP models as well.

PART 1 – MOIRÉ AND DETAILS
http://www.aevansphoto.com/x-trans_sucks_part_1/

PART 2 – DETAILS SMEARING, NOISE AND LIGHTROOM
http://www.aevansphoto.com/fujis-x-trans-sensor-sucks-part-2/

PART 3 – LIGHTROOM VS THE WORLD
http://www.aevansphoto.com/fujis-x-trans-sensor-sucks-part-3/

Oct 06, 2016 at 01:08 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password