New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Future Man
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

So I was set on buying the Canon 430 EX III. I guess I misread the 5D IV manual and thought that it had a built in wireless transmitter and I was ecstatic! I was wrong though obviously and you need to buy the ~$300 hotshoe transmitter (ST-R3-ET).

so one wireless flash in the Canon system would be ~$550 (430 + ST-R3-ET).

If my number one priority is reliability, should I just go with this set up? Or should I look at something like a PocketWizard + 3rd party flash? Or even PW + 430 EX III?

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:05 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Take a look at the Yongnuo speedlights and transmitters. Some of them are close to being an exact copy of the Canon models but are about 1/3rd the price. I've never used one but the few photographers I know that own that brand of speedlights are happy with them. Nissin speedlights are a good price alternative too. Personally, I don't like buying from the China market but the price difference can be so great it's hard not to.

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:22 PM
U-taker
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Also, take a look at the Godox/Cheetah V860II-C. This flash is equivalent to the canon 600. The Godox has a 2.4G internal wireless transmitter/receiver as well as optical. The flash is powered by a single Li-Ion battery that lasts quite a long time. Godox also offers a stand-alone transceiver with a hotshoe mount. I use this combo and I'm set to receive two more Godox flashes tomorrow to add to my arsenal.

Here is a link to the Godox V860II-C

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:39 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

I have had the Yongnuo version of the ST transmitter ($100) for a long time and it has worked flawlessly. For a Canon flash to have a on board transmitter I believe it needs a built in flash.

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:59 PM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

hmm interesting on the Godox.

so if I'm looking to start simple and have one off camera flash that I can fire wirelessly, I would get the V860II-C and the Godox X1C TTL Wireless Transmitter for Canon EOS?

This pack for $245 looks nice... flash, wireless module, color filters and softbox:
https://www.amazon.com/V860II-C-Transmitter-Transceiver-Battery-EACHSHOT/dp/B01FDLBCLG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475679422&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=Godox+V860II-C&psc=1

Go with one of these packs from Amazon? or somewhere else?

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:00 PM
Jay Ford

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Pay careful attention to the shipping. You can save a little money with Chinese distributors through Amazon, but you may also order fast shipping and then get an email with "Arrives sometime in the next 36 days".

The alternatives are US distributors like cheetah and Adorama.

Oct 05, 2016 at 05:51 PM
U-taker
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Each case is different but I've bought mine through Amazon and have had no problems with the shipping. I'm also a Prime member so 2 day shipping is free. Jay is correct in saying that Cheetah and Adorama also have the same flash, just with their branding on it (Cheetah and Flashpoint, respectively). I started of with that $245 pack and have just expanded it after using the flash and trigger with complete success on my recent weddings. Once I get the flashes tomorrow, I'll be getting rid of my canon flashes and PW Flexes.

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:46 PM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Do you want reliability or cheap hobby unit? If the answer is the first the canon and pocket wizard if the second then get a Chinese flash and trigger. There's a reason pw is the industry stand in radio triggers. Btw you'll need two radios one for the camera and one for each flash.

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:26 PM
nixland
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Future Man wrote:
hmm interesting on the Godox.

so if I'm looking to start simple and have one off camera flash that I can fire wirelessly, I would get the V860II-C and the Godox X1C TTL Wireless Transmitter for Canon EOS?

This pack for $245 looks nice... flash, wireless module, color filters and softbox:
https://www.amazon.com/V860II-C-Transmitter-Transceiver-Battery-EACHSHOT/dp/B01FDLBCLG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475679422&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=Godox+V860II-C&psc=1

Go with one of these packs from Amazon? or somewhere else?

Godox has better quality control than Yongnuo. Even Broncolor order their new trigger from Godox.

http://www.lightingrumours.com/broncolor-rfs-2-2-8336

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:33 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Michael White wrote:
Do you want reliability or cheap hobby unit? If the answer is the first the canon and pocket wizard if the second then get a Chinese flash and trigger. There's a reason pw is the industry stand in radio triggers. Btw you'll need two radios one for the camera and one for each flash.

The Godox/Cheetah/Adorama V860 flash units have built-in transceivers, so there is NO NEED to have a separate radio for the remote flash.

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Future Man
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

I'm leaning towards a Godox. Adorama seems to be currently sold out though so I guess I'll go Cheetah or Godox from Amazon if it's not back in stock when I go to order.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Oct 06, 2016 at 05:19 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Future Man wrote:
I'm leaning towards a Godox. Adorama seems to be currently sold out though so I guess I'll go Cheetah or Godox from Amazon if it's not back in stock when I go to order.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I bought a "Godox" branded transceiver (X1Tn) via Amazon. Unfortunately, it was the first generation where the locking pins were misaligned. The reseller was extremely cooperative, but it still took a month to get a refund. IMO, Cheetah and Adorama are better options. YMMV.

Oct 07, 2016 at 04:44 AM
Jay Ford

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

My old PW+ triggers were fantastically reliable. The TT units, not so much. I've found the Godox X1 and internal receivers to be highly reliable (2 misfires in a 316+ exposure shoot) for all that they are easy on the bank account.

Michael White wrote:

Oct 07, 2016 at 04:39 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Great if that's what you want a 25% chance of getting a shot go to it. Plus pw contoltl radios work with some studio flashes offering power settings from camera

Oct 08, 2016 at 05:14 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

For speedlights I've always been a Canon man. 4x 580ex's

Then I invested in PW TT5 triggers and loved them.

But then I wanted to run remote backlights on manual with remote power control at events / weddings but still have ETTL on camera...

That was a problem. I tried the Cactus trigger system, but found it less reliable than I'd prefer, (vs6 triggers, both Mk1 and Mk2's).

Next came the Godox X1C triggers with my Canon flashes and they were very reliable, easy to set at speed and I could keep my Canons. (Tested the range and line of sight is 100m+ or about 50m with obstacles.

But it was a little unwieldy so now I've got a couple of Godox TT865 speedlights which have the radio triggering built in so I've got the power of their radio link in a smaller package which can fire my 580's on X1C's.

I'll most likely buy an extra TT865 or two.

All this said - I am using them with a Canon 5D3 so check compatibility for a 5D4. (I needed to update the Godox firmware to vs 3.0 on the speedlights to unlock their full potential which is only PC friendly. Godox don't like Macs.)

Oct 08, 2016 at 06:53 AM
Jay Ford

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Michael White wrote:
Great if that's what you want a 25% chance of getting a shot go to it. Plus pw contoltl radios work with some studio flashes offering power settings from camera

Mmm, no - high failure rate is why I rejected the PW TT system - that and the cost - and stuck with the PW+ until the Godox system caught my attention.

I also think you haven't looked at the Godox wireless system at all, which works with all the latest generation Godox gear (speedlights, speedlights on steroids, battery monolights, studio lights, all manual or TTL) with no external units, even antennas, whatsoever, or with a whole range of third-party gear with a receiver, and bridges a lot of systems simply by mounting the old system's transmitter in the pass-through hotshoe on the X1.

http://flashhavoc.com/godox-flash-system-overview/

Oct 08, 2016 at 04:42 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

I am 100% Godox now!
Sold all three of my Canon 600EX units + ST controller.
Godox does a much better job at TTL. Canon was never that good in my opinion, allways under exposed by 1/2 - 2/3 stop and I owened many models for over 15 years.

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:26 PM
Jay Ford

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Yes, I gave up on Canon TTL years ago. Maybe I'll add a Godox TTL speedlight or two and experiment.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

Just bought the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 TTL from Adorama. I'm gonna wait a bit to buy the wireless transmitter. I'm a little new to flash so I want to master using it then advance to really taking it off camera.

I had an event job last night and it was really my first time I ever really needed to use a flash for a paid job. My old Nikon SB28 worked well when it actually fired. It was pretty frustrating but I got the photos I needed for the job. Really looking forward to having something more reliable.

thanks for the advice everyone!

Oct 15, 2016 at 02:36 PM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Advice on buying a flash unit for Canon

hmmm... I need the flash for a job next Friday. Apparently there's a Jewish holiday this weekend and Adorama shipments will be delayed? Hopefully this gets to me on time (I used the free 1-3 business day shipping).

Oct 15, 2016 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password