New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · ACR tip for very warm RAWs

SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ACR tip for very warm RAWs

Some images have too Red/Orange indoor lighting for ACR to adjust the WB properly. So try this:

After opening a RAW file slide,the WB slider all the way to the left (2000 degrees Kelvin). If the result is still too,warm then save the file to a TIFF. Reopen the uncompressed TIFF in ACR. Now your WB slider is centered and you can, yet again, move it to the left.

This, effectively, doubles your WB range adjustment while maintaining an uncompressed file (your can do the same trick with JPEGs but will suffer the effects of file compression). I have never had a too red image that wouldn't yield to this technique.

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:08 AM
Greg Schneider
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ACR tip for very warm RAWs

That's an interesting workaround. Would also adjusting HSL on the red or orange components on the original RAW give you enough leverage to do this in one pass?

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:54 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ACR tip for very warm RAWs

Generally, I have found the Organge/Red sliders in the 8 color ACR panel can help for less extreme imbalance. However, for a wide ranging global WB adjustment, this workaround is better.

It also leaves the 8 color hue/saturation/luminance trimming for more critical work such as over saturated single color electronic lights mixed with incandescent, etc

Oct 05, 2016 at 07:03 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ACR tip for very warm RAWs

You can use the graduated filter if you pull it over the entire image as many times as needed and adjust the WB or any of the other settings without resorting to creating other versions. Set the image size % to give yourself some working room (like 12%).

I've done this for very high iso shots where I wanted more clarity and noise control than the standard conversion allows.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:51 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ACR tip for very warm RAWs

SoundHound wrote:
Some images have too Red/Orange indoor lighting for ACR to adjust the WB properly. So try this:

After opening a RAW file slide,the WB slider all the way to the left (2000 degrees Kelvin). If the result is still too,warm then save the file to a TIFF. Reopen the uncompressed TIFF in ACR. Now your WB slider is centered and you can, yet again, move it to the left.

This, effectively, doubles your WB range adjustment while maintaining an uncompressed file (your can do the same trick with JPEGs but will suffer the effects of file compression). I have never had
...Show more

Thanks. I have done a similar but clumsier thing by doing the second step in PS with tooling with the photo filters.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:18 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.