New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · I am home: X-E1 +35/2

Karel Geertsem
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I am home: X-E1 +35/2

That is a bold statement for a gear forum, isn't it? An old camera and just one simple lens. Let me explain.

So, here I was, end of august - beginning of september. A 2 1/2 week holiday coming up (Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain). And of course lusting for the X-T2 (due to a short lived rumor re. availability end of august I even tried to get one), the 23/2 (just bought the 35/2) and the 80mm macro.

Off to Lanzarote with my X-E1, the 35/2, the 18-55 and the 55-200 (at home: 10-24, 56/1.2 non-APD and a Contax G 90/2.8).
I only used the 35/2, and upon viewing the results on a 5K Mac I still am amazed by the quality the X-E1 produces, especially combined with the 35/2, which is a joy to carry around and use. I love the (old, classic) focal length. Sure, startup is way to slow, focusing could(!) be faster and a tilt screen and larger/brighter EVF would be nice. But is that worth 1700 Euro?

Then Photokina. I extensively played around with the X-T2. Lovely machine, but very expensive and size- and weight wise firmly in EOS 550D territory (OK, that one has a bigger grip). And I sold my 5D2, which replaced my 550D, because of size and weight (and some Zeiss glass) and moved to Fuji.

So, after spending a lot of money on quite different systems (and lenses) I returned to a digital version of my Pentax ME-Super + 50mm - can you believe it?

Maybe there will be an X-E3 or X-E4 in my future, but for now I'm happy. Anybody can relate to this?

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:10 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I am home: X-E1 +35/2

I can relate. The Fuji ethos has a way of stirring one's photographic juices, as you are finding out. Welcome to our world.

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:31 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I am home: X-E1 +35/2

Yes! That's almost exactly how I started with Fuji Picked up an XE1 and a 35/1.4 just to just try it out. I wasn't even planning on getting another lens the 35/1.4 was fine for me

Oct 05, 2016 at 12:15 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I am home: X-E1 +35/2

The 35mm f2.0 covers a LOT of ground in composition to say the least. Perhaps the 23mm f2.0 becomes a likely twin. Those two new one's are sweet as all getout. They do everything right and keep the weight down nicely.

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I am home: X-E1 +35/2

Karel Geertsem wrote:
Maybe there will be an X-E3 or X-E4 in my future, but for now I'm happy. Anybody can relate to this?

Sure, in a way

There is something very pleasant about simplicity - you 'make do' with what you have, and often that can actually be more exciting (challenging) than having all options available.

I loved my X100S the very short time I had it (sold it to help fund my daughter's piano purchase).

I can definitely see myself eventually getting the 23/2 and welding it to an XE3 if Fuji makes one. 35mm for me is too tight for general use (though I love it as well).

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:43 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I am home: X-E1 +35/2

nice post. yes, fuji x are cameras that make it a joy to be out shooting (and minimizes post-processing). they help me leave the black dog of gear obsession far far behind.

Oct 05, 2016 at 05:18 PM
Pat H.
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I am home: X-E1 +35/2

Karel Geertsem wrote:
So, after spending a lot of money on quite different systems (and lenses) I returned to a digital version of my Pentax ME-Super + 50mm - can you believe it?

Easily; my first film SLR was an ME Super, and later I would use the MX & LX bodies. The Fuji X-E1 & 2 dimensions (sans pentaprism) are almost identical to the MX. Felt at 'home' as soon as I held the X-E1. Even with my large hands, I can touch what I need and not accidentally press a bunch of stuff I don't. I've also learned to love the rangefinder placement of the viewfinder.

I get the itch for a new camera now and then, but unless Fuji should create an X-E or XPro body with a tilting/articulating touchscreen I'm content enough with what I have.

I'd say have fun and enjoy, but I think that's a given

Oct 05, 2016 at 05:54 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password