Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Best way to clean camera lens?

tzhang4284
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best way to clean camera lens?

Would love to poll the forum and understand what's the best way to clean a camera lens. Was shooting with my loxia 21 lens around town and got some mist from a fountain on to the glass element. I used a Zeiss lens wipe and some lens tissue to clean it but there are some faint streaks especially along the edges that are visible under bright light. I don't think it affects image quality but the OCD part of me wants to remove them. Any idea how without causing streaks?

I also have a microfiber cloth but trying to avoid over-cleaning until I figure out if I should do something about it or not.

Thanks,
Tony

Oct 05, 2016 at 12:59 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best way to clean camera lens?

You could try using soft lens tissue wrapped around a small silicone kitchen spatula - held in place with a rubberband and with the tiniest drop of cleaning fluid on it*. Gently move the pointy end of that around the edge observing what happens.

*You want it drier than wetter.

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:11 AM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best way to clean camera lens?

I usually end up still with small streaks with using cleaning fluid and lens tissue. I usually prefer using a lens pen very gently on problem spots. Typically, it leaves a little carbon powder but I usually clean that off by using a rocket blower and soft lens brush. It definitely won't affect your pictures but I understand the OCD issues with it.

Oct 05, 2016 at 04:20 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best way to clean camera lens?

It probably won't affect IQ, you could leave it there.

I use the Nikon pre moistened wipes first. If needed, then I will use PEC pads and Eclipse solution. For stubborn streaks I'll use Residual Oil Remover (ROR) and that takes care of it for sure.
Eclipse and ROR is especially useful for streaky polarizers that I have a hard time getting clean.

I found zeiss wipes to leave a lot of streaks and threw them away a long time ago. The pre moistended wipe I have found and others here seem to like as well are the Nikon wipes.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:25 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best way to clean camera lens?

A finely woven microfiber lens cleaning cloth with a very small amount of lens cleaner on it has always worked for me. Some streaks, if they aren't oily, can be easily removed by fogging the lens with your breath and using the same type of microfiber cloth.

I have never had great luck with pre-moistened wipes, and usually have to clean up what they leave as described above. I'll have to try those from Nikon sometime to see how they work.

Lens pens also seem to work very well, especially up close to the edges and in the recesses where rear lens elements are usually found. They are great for things like an inadvertent fingerprint when you are out in the field and wouldn't otherwise have the time or facilities to do good cleaning.

Oct 05, 2016 at 12:13 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best way to clean camera lens?

When I'm shooting in the rain, mist from waterfalls etc... it's usually a quick wipe from a dry part of my t-shirt and off to shooting again. I've never had anything affect my photos using this method. Once home, I'll give it a good cleaning, but on the road...its use whatever you have dry.

Now at the beach or other places where there might be sand particles stuck onto the front of the lens, then I'm much more careful with cleaning. I inspect and blow away if possible all the particles before using my t-shirt.

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:25 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best way to clean camera lens?

For a bit of perspective, enjoy this article: http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

After reading through this, I stopped fussing quite so much about a bit of dust or a small smear on my front lens element!

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:52 PM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best way to clean camera lens?

My father (who was a very good photographer in the 60's and 70's) always impressed upon me that when "cleaning" a lens, there are a few important principles that should be followed (yes, he was a bit anal retentive and, thus, so am I!).

Firstly, always blow off any dust or debris that is on the lens. A clean bulb brush used lightly works well. You don't ever want to make contact with, wipe, clean, or buff a lens while anything granular or abrasive is on the lens.

Use good quality lens tissue and put a drop of good quality lens solution on the wipe and not on the element.

Use a single pass method -- pass lightly over the area you're cleaning once then discard tissue. Repeat. Don't scrub, swirl, or rub. Don't go over an area twice with the same tissue.

Once everything is debris, spot, smudge, etc., free, you can very lightly buff with a freshly cleaned microfiber cloth.

The most important though, is clean a lens as a last resort. In other words, don't do it unless absolutely necessary.

I ascribe to the "just use your lens" school. I'd rather forego a protective filter than add a crappy piece of glass over a stellar L objective. Lens hoods help protect the objective from insult.

Agree that minor surface flaws affect images imperceptibly.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:14 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best way to clean camera lens?

Pancro on a Kimwipe.

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:57 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best way to clean camera lens?

First I use the Giottos blower on the lens, then i use the Zeiss lens wipes with a lens cloth. has always worked for me

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:48 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best way to clean camera lens?

I would try a mild solution of household vinegar if the Zeiss lens wipe is not able to remove the substance.

I get the 1 oz. pump spray bottles and fill them with Tiffen lens cleaner that sells at $14 for a 16 ounce bottle.

Clean microfiber cloths make a big difference and I use them along with the fluid.

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:35 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.