FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Roughlock Falls, South Dakota

daggah
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Roughlock Falls, South Dakota

I caught the tail end of the fall colors in Spearfish Canyon this past weekend. I went up the weekend before, but didn't know about Roughlock Falls, so I missed this spot the first go around when the colors were at their peak.

Both of these images are 9-image composites using image averaging to fake the long exposure effect. Unfortunately, I forgot my ND filters at home. The first shot's with my 14-24mm and I don't have the ultrawide filter kit for that setup anyway.

Roughlock Falls Composite by David Gevert, on Flickr

Roughlock Falls by David Gevert, on Flickr

Personally, I prefer the second photo and perspective, especially because, with the ultra-wide perspective, you almost completely miss the waterfall in the distance.

Oct 04, 2016 at 06:59 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Roughlock Falls, South Dakota

Hi David,

Nice work on these, especially processing them to have the look of a long shutter speed. I agree, #2 is the best of these two images.

Jim

Oct 04, 2016 at 09:15 PM
mudlake
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Roughlock Falls, South Dakota

Count me in for liking the second one better. It looks like a very peaceful place. Nice images.

Oct 05, 2016 at 12:04 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Roughlock Falls, South Dakota

#2 is the better of the two because it is tighter with less to distract a wandering eye.

Oct 05, 2016 at 07:10 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Roughlock Falls, South Dakota

Up until a few years ago it was all wide open and you could walk upstream clear to the taller falls to take shots. Along that creek you can usually find a very interesting bird as well; it's the easternmost edge of the American Dipper's range. There are some other waterfalls nearby that are really cool in winter when they make blue ice columns.

Kent in SD

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:43 AM
daggah
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Roughlock Falls, South Dakota

Where in SD are you, Kent?

I just got reassigned to Ellsworth AFB about a month and a half ago.

Oct 08, 2016 at 03:51 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.