Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

ronno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

I would love to shoot more video with my D750, but can't cope with the lack of decent AF during video shooting!
Anyone have any idea of the roadmap for this?

Honestly, I am about to buy a Canon 5D4 just because that thing can do great video AF, and with the touch screen, AF becomes less of a high stress project, and way more intuitive, accurate, and fast.

I am just hoping Nikon does something to remedy this asap, as I have been sitting on the sidelines Iin terms of DSLR video) for long enough.

Oct 04, 2016 at 10:43 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

I don't think anyone really knows what the plan is here. So far Nikon's been doing some great things with video, for people who are shooting on a rig. Flat profiles, HDMI out, and compatibility with their older lenses that have aperture rings (and now we have power-aperture in some cameras too). However, since much of this market is pulling focus manually, Nikon's been slow to upgrade the AF. It wouldn't surprise me if Canon's patents are slowing them down to.

What we have seen is Nikon's new AF-P lens technology starting to be used. While the lenses it's in right now are kind of rubbish, the fact that they're creating lenses with stepping motors is a good sign for the AF using videographers. Whether or not they move on to develop dual-pixel AF, and when, is anyone's guess though.

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:27 PM
Dj R
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

How about the Nikon D 500 with touchscreen auto focus

Combined with 18-55 AF-P lens (quiet)

Oct 05, 2016 at 01:29 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

The only cameras that likely have a chance at video AF tracking of a dog are the Canon 70D/80D/5DM4 and Samsung NX1. Your cheapest option would be a used 70D.

Oct 05, 2016 at 01:41 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
I don't think anyone really knows what the plan is here. So far Nikon's been doing some great things with video, for people who are shooting on a rig. Flat profiles, HDMI out, and compatibility with their older lenses that have aperture rings (and now we have power-aperture in some cameras too). However, since much of this market is pulling focus manually, Nikon's been slow to upgrade the AF. It wouldn't surprise me if Canon's patents are slowing them down to.

What we have seen is Nikon's new AF-P lens technology starting to be used. While the lenses it's in
...Show more

There's debate about the use of DPAF in Sony sensor in Samsung S7 phones. Did Sony and Canon do a cross-license deal, Sony gets DPAF, Canon gets on sensor ADC, did Sony just use it and will litigate if Canon take action or did they come up with their own version. The first is the most plausible as the Canon patent is broad and specific, doesn't seem to be any different way to split a pixel in two and use it for PD AF.

If it is cross-licensed does this mean going forward SOny if they can make it compatible with EXMOR could sell this to Nikon, or are they restricted to only using it for phone sensors?

Nikon needs to pull it's finger out whatever the case.

Oct 05, 2016 at 01:46 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

Pixel Perfect wrote:
There's debate about the use of DPAF in Sony sensor in Samsung S7 phones. Did Sony and Canon do a cross-license deal, Sony gets DPAF, Canon gets on sensor ADC, did Sony just use it and will litigate if Canon take action or did they come up with their own version. The first is the most plausible as the Canon patent is broad and specific, doesn't seem to be any different way to split a pixel in two and use it for PD AF.

If it is cross-licensed does this mean going forward SOny if they can make it compatible
...Show more

I think the Samsung NX1 demonstrates that there are multiple ways to achieve excellent video AF. In Samsung's case they use an extremely fast contrast-detect sample rate (240 fps I believe), which requires a sensor with a very fast readout along with a fast imaging ASIC to process the data. Here are samples:

Oct 05, 2016 at 01:55 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

snapsy wrote:
I think the Samsung NX1 demonstrates that there are multiple ways to achieve excellent video AF. In Samsung's case they use an extremely fast contrast-detect sample rate (240 fps I believe), which requires a sensor with a very fast readout along with a fast imaging ASIC to process the data. Here are samples:

Again a reasonable answer...more likely they are all in the bed together and obviously sony and samsung are the big dogs in the room (this ain't film)

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:20 AM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

Dj R wrote:
How about the Nikon D 500 with touchscreen auto focus

Combined with 18-55 AF-P lens (quiet)

Decent idea but as I am primarily a stills shooter I'm not interested in a crop sensor, nor a slow consumer lens for video. Also not interested in investing in Samsung equipment...

I don't mind investing in the new 5D as I have shot Canon for many years with great results. And I still have Canon glass. Just wanted to know if there was any information about a full frame Nikon with decent video AF coming soon.
I originally bought some Nikon stuff due to the much greater DR, but now Canon has that sorted for the most part...

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:33 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

ronno wrote:
I originally bought some Nikon stuff due to the much greater DR, but now Canon has that sorted for the most part...

Note that while Canon has made DR improvements, they're still a ways off from the Nikon base ISO dynamic range (yes, the D5 has lower low ISO dynamic range but higher high ISO dynamic range, but when most people talk about the DR gap they discuss the base ISO gap). Judging by this test sample, the 5DIV and 1DXII are big steps up from the 5DIII, but still don't come close to matching the Nikon D750, D610, or D810. Now, DxOmark offers some conflicting data, so do testing yourself. But if dynamic range is key to your work, Nikon still has advantages.

But video AF certainly isn't one of Nikon's strong suits. If that's what you need, go for Canon. No question. If you want good DR for stills and good AF for video, a dual system of Nikon for stills and a Canon 70D might work best. If you're okay with sacrificing some DR, then the Canon 5DIV could be a great all in one solution.

(Edited due to having selected the 1DIII and 1DIV instead of the 5DIII and 5DIV earlier.)

Edited on Oct 05, 2016 at 09:27 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:17 AM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

At this point getting these cameras to focus where I want is far more challenging than working within the DR limits IMO.

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

ronno wrote:
At this point getting these cameras to focus where I want is far more challenging than working within the DR limits IMO.

If you get something like a 5D4 just for video, you are opening up a whole other can of video frustrations, so just make sure none of them bother you and all you want is the AF.

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:28 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

Mark, *need the video AF for sure.* It the one thing that has been holding me back from shooting more video. And it's past time to shoot more video ;-)
Anyway, video footage that is out of focus is the biggest can of worms of all, no?
As I said earlier, I already have Canon lenses, and the RAW files I have messed with look good.
I have also had great experiences with Canon Professional Services in the past.
Thanks all, probably going to buy one today and see how it goes...I'll be trying the video AF while on a sailboat in the San Francisco bay tonight

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:43 PM
jtra
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

ronno wrote:

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
Note that while Canon has made DR improvements, they're still a ways off from the Nikon base ISO dynamic range (yes, the D5 has lower low ISO dynamic range but higher high ISO dynamic range, but when most people talk about the DR gap they discuss the base ISO gap). Judging by this test sample, the 5DIV hasn't made much of an improvement over the 5DIII. The 1DXII on the other hand is a huge step up, but it still doesn't come close to matching the Nikon D750, D610, or D810.

You have compared old 1D instead of 5D. 5DIV is improvement over 5DIII. Still behind D750 and D8xx Use this link

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:14 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

Yes jtra, 5D4 D.R. within a stop (and often within .5 stops or less) of the class leading D750 is good enough for me. I have pretty much never needed more than 2 stops shadow recovery for any purpose.

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:19 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

jtra wrote:
You have compared old 1D instead of 5D. 5DIV is improvement over 5DIII. Still behind D750 and D8xx Use this link

Whoops, good catch. Thought it was a bigger improvement than that, thanks for pointing it out. You're right, the 5DIV is right up there with the 1DXII, albeit still behind the Nikons.

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:25 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

DSLRs for video need to be treated like cinema cameras. If you want to use autofocus for video buy a video camera, that is what they are designed for, not a stills camera with video functionality.

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:08 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

Mark_L wrote:
DSLRs for video need to be treated like cinema cameras. If you want to use autofocus for video buy a video camera, that is what they are designed for, not a stills camera with video functionality.

Um, no.
These new cameras are capable of great AF, touch screen focusing, etc.
I am guessing you have not tried the 5D4, 80D, 70D?
It's a whole different ball game.

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:48 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

mogul wrote:
Again a reasonable answer...more likely they are all in the bed together and obviously sony and samsung are the big dogs in the room (this ain't film)

Samsung have left the building, why even mention them as a player anymore?

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:27 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

ronno wrote:
Yes jtra, 5D4 D.R. within a stop (and often within .5 stops or less) of the class leading D750 is good enough for me. I have pretty much never needed more than 2 stops shadow recovery for any purpose.

Hell you can do that with 5DsR, 5D4 can push 4EV, and from dpreview test scene only about 1EV behind A7RII maybe two behind D810. If you constantly need to push shadows 5-6EV something is seriously wrong. While a nice ability to have if needed, I think Canon sensors are at the point we can gripe about other aspects of the camera, like severe video crippling. 5D4 4K is trounced by a6300 as well as XT-2 and GX85 yet uses 5x the bit rate.

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:31 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Decent AF coming for Nikon DSLR video??

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Hell you can do that with 5DsR, 5D4 can push 4EV, and from dpreview test scene only about 1EV behind A7RII maybe two behind D810. If you constantly need to push shadows 5-6EV something is seriously wrong. While a nice ability to have if needed, I think Canon sensors are at the point we can gripe about other aspects of the camera, like severe video crippling. 5D4 4K is trounced by a6300 as well as XT-2 and GX85 yet uses 5x the bit rate.

I think a point that is often missed is that while not many would need to push 5-6 EV (though as you say, nice to have just in case), the cameras that can handle those more extreme pushes also have better performance when smaller, more normal pushes are done. More is always better in this case, even if you don't use the extremes. There is still a fairly significant difference in DR (over a stop at base ISO) even when compared to much older bodies, and plenty of room for improvement. We'll have to wait until 2020 to find out more

Oct 06, 2016 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password