p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Isolated on the Plain

Nice rustic cabin image here. I think you could lose some sky

Oct 04, 2016 at 06:49 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Isolated on the Plain

lookin' good
is the grass a bit desaturated or accurate?
Scott

Oct 04, 2016 at 07:11 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Isolated on the Plain

Thanks guys. At this time of year the grass is pretty well browned at the higher elevations.

Oct 04, 2016 at 07:15 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Isolated on the Plain

thought so
what kind of elevation are we talking about?
also close to home?

Scott

Oct 04, 2016 at 07:18 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Isolated on the Plain

Elevation of the building is approximately 3,500 feet and about thirty minutes from where I live at 2,600 feet.

Oct 04, 2016 at 07:22 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Isolated on the Plain

To me this is a pretty good photograph, but it's just a bit bland in color. To my eye it's crying out to be a black and white. Here's a quick version where the entire sky included supports the rest of the frame. Mind, this is with a laptop and trackpad, so it ain't perfect but it's one other way you might treat this.

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:38 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Isolated on the Plain

Peter has demonstrated beautifully that the image works better in BW.
Nice job Peter!

Scott

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:47 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Isolated on the Plain

Yet another nice image Rick. I do like the conversion that Peter did and would like to see your version of a B&W if you decide to give it a try.

What are all these apparently abandon cabins that you find all the time? Can you share some history behind these cool finds? And were there any trees around this area at some time in the past?

Dave

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:03 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Isolated on the Plain

lighthound wrote:
Yet another nice image Rick. I do like the conversion that Peter did and would like to see your version of a B&W if you decide to give it a try.

What are all these apparently abandon cabins that you find all the time? Can you share some history behind these cool finds? And were there any trees around this area at some time in the past?

Dave

The Interior Plateau of British Columbia is something of an anomaly in a Province which is for the most part mountainous.

Because of the large areas of relatively flat and often open areas on the plateau, cattle ranching drew many to the area in the early 1900’s and where ranching continues to the present.

Many of the old buildings I photograph are homesteads, barns and outbuildings built by the early ranchers from logs cut, hewn and hauled from nearby forests. Many buildings have collapsed over the years usually under heavy snow packs but the stronger remain.

A nearby lake is called Separation Lake where early rangers would gather their cattle from the open and unfenced range to separate them by brand. The weekend was one of the few times families met and was the social highlight of the season with dancing, feasting and copious consumption of Canadian whisky.

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:25 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Isolated on the Plain

Rick
Thanks for the backstory
Scott

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:34 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Isolated on the Plain

Very nice backstory indeed. Thanks!

You don't have to worry about those little storms like Matthew that we're about to get hit with, but those winters must be long and hard up there.

Oct 05, 2016 at 11:12 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Isolated on the Plain

lighthound wrote:
Very nice backstory indeed. Thanks!

You don't have to worry about those little storms like Matthew that we're about to get hit with, but those winters must be long and hard up there.

I live in a city of 85,000 and the winters are no problem as our homes and vehicles are warm. I am fortunate though that these buildings are only a relatively short drive away and are easily accessible along often well maintained side roads.

Oct 05, 2016 at 01:09 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Isolated on the Plain

That sounds very similar to when I go to Montana to shoot for clients there. I always take a couple of days to look for these things, which are everywhere.

Oct 05, 2016 at 04:16 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.