Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Are the new Pentax lenses for 645z full frame 645? future...

pplskills
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are the new Pentax lenses for 645z full frame 645? future proof?

Are the new lenses that Pentax is making for the 645z full frame 645? I'm thinking about getting a 645z and investing into the ecosystem but I'm guessing the next move for Pentax is to move to the new Sony 100 MP sensor similar to what Phase One is using. The sensor in the 645z is crop 645 (1.25) if I remember correctly. I'm hoping that the current Pentax lenses are not using all of the image circle. When Pentax does release a new camera and it is close to full frame 645, will the current lenses work or would they have to create a whole new lens lineup? Because that new Sony 100 MP sensor is bigger.

I'm sad that Pentax didn't separate the camera body and the sensor (digital back) like the other medium format manufactures are doing. That method makes so much more sense. I'm also curious if the new Fuji's medium format lenses will only be made for the 1.25 crop 645 size or full frame for future sensor size increased. You're move Sony.

Oct 04, 2016 at 10:13 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are the new Pentax lenses for 645z full frame 645? future proof?

In general,

D-FA lenses are "full frame" 645

DA- lenses are not.

but that's not the whole story. As far as I can tell, the only current "true" DA lens that can't be used for full frame 645 is the HD Pentax-DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR. The other DA lens, the 25mm F4 AL, is identical optically to the full frame 645 D-FA version of this lens with the only difference being that the lens hood on the DA version will vignette if used on 645 full frame. This info from Pentaxforums.com.

The general consensus is that the new Fuji lenses will only be "mini" MF. Ricoh/ Pentax have already stated that they have access to use the "full frame" 645 100MP sensor if they choose to. All this said, the Fuji being a new - from the ground up - digital mirrorless system with all new optical designs should not be dismissed simply due to the sensor size imo. Fuji makes really great lenses and this "mini" MF sensor size will likely see faster development and refreshes than the full size - very expensive - 645 sensor.

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:01 PM
flash
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are the new Pentax lenses for 645z full frame 645? future proof?

pplskills wrote:
I'm sad that Pentax didn't separate the camera body and the sensor (digital back) like the other medium format manufactures are doing. That method makes so much more sense. I'm also curious if the new Fuji's medium format lenses will only be made for the 1.25 crop 645 size or full frame for future sensor size increased. You're move Sony.

Are there any back available that cost less than the 645Z body? It only makes sense if the back is cheaper than also getting a camera upgrade, which might include a better processor, memory card options, LCD, viewfinder etc.

Gordon

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:55 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are the new Pentax lenses for 645z full frame 645? future proof?

flash wrote:
Are there any back available that cost less than the 645Z body? It only makes sense if the back is cheaper than also getting a camera upgrade, which might include a better processor, memory card options, LCD, viewfinder etc.

Gordon

That and DB's are notoriously fickle beasts. I got to speak with a group of users when I was looking at MF, and the Hasselblad and Phase users all had tales of poor connections between camera body and DB and their sensitivities to the elements. If you want an MF camera with the rugged dependability of a top-flight DSLR, the Pentax or Leica S are really the only choices right now.

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:40 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password