New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

UCSB
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

The latest () update to Lightroom and I assume Photoshop contains a new profile under the Camera Calibration tab for the 5DS R. It is called Adobe Standard V2. If you are a LR or PS user processing 5DS R files, it is definitely worth evaluating.

Oct 04, 2016 at 04:46 PM
kosin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

I wonder how many people use this setting regularly in their workflow? Not only for 5DsR but for other cameras as well.

I experimented with it back in 2009, when shooting with 7D, and results were crappy. After many camera updates over the years, I completely forgot about it What are your thoughts?

Oct 04, 2016 at 06:21 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

kosin wrote:
I wonder how many people use this setting regularly in their workflow? Not only for 5DsR but for other cameras as well.

I experimented with it back in 2009, when shooting with 7D, and results were crappy. After many camera updates over the years, I completely forgot about it What are your thoughts?

Adobe Standard is the default profile so I imagine a lot of people use it. Also, v2 of the 5DSR Adobe Standard profile is the default for new imports.

Oct 04, 2016 at 08:32 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

I use it all the time, for all my cameras. I have custom profiles for different light sources, too, which can be quite helpful.

The 5DS/R v1 profiles were a disaster with a way too strong contrast curve, so it's good to be fixed. There were different workarounds, posted instructions on how to make better profiles - and now that better profile was included as default. It took them only 16 months

(the original profile was allegedly done by an intern, without proper supervision, and rushed out. Didn't take long for people to start complaining, and on their support fora one of the LR product people posted a "fixed" profile that you could install, along with instructions how to create it yourself if you prefer. It seems like this v2 profile is exactly that profile that was released by their support days after the 5DS support shipped).

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:43 PM
Ron Hu

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

I've used my COLOR CHECKER PASSPort all along. Just wish could be done for l

Oct 08, 2016 at 05:06 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

If there is any advice for someone using Lightroom for the first time- it's to get off of using the default Adobe Standard profile.

I usually set Camera Standard (still done by Adobe, of course) as my import default, then change it from there for portraits or landscapes or so on, which is what I'd recommend others do as well, so long as you don't create your own.

Oct 08, 2016 at 05:14 AM
Bruce n Philly
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

My opinion (I am a flaming amateur):

- The new v2 profile is excellent - the old was awful - V2 is fine using this as the default for your workflow
- Color Checker Passport - I made my own profiles and like them, but for some reason, they are a bit too vibrant, fine for dull shots but overblown for super colored photos like flowers. I don't know why this is so, but that is what I got with CCP (and I've been experimenting with it for years now) - I have one of my custom CCP profiles this set as my LR default (taken on a bright, overcast day).
- Camera Faithful (a duplication of Canon Faithful) - probably the best starting point for hyper-critical users. I use this more and more as I have improved my eye and or want to spend time on my better photos. You will need to work your photos from here, but all is additive where with the other settings, you may be backing off of some items
- Camera Standard (Canon Standard) - Actually has a bit too much POP. If you compare to Adobe V2, you will see V2 has less contrast than Camera Standard. A novice may like this as Canon adds POP.... and I am surprised Adobe V2 is a bit more subdued.... something I like as I have developed a more critical eye.

My recommendation (as if I am some expert - ha!) - Use Adobe's new V2 as it appears to be the best balance of saturation and contrast. Apparently Adobe got the message and put some time into this one.

Some background to my opinions: Most folks don't want accuracy, they want POP. The new Adobe V2 does this without being garish. Canon's standard does this too... adds POP .... but if you really want accuracy, use Canon/Adobe Faithful.... it is all in the name.

Many many years ago in the 70s, "accuracy" was the standard. Today, no one seems to care and they just want big silicone fake ones. Camera companies have to move product so it is not surprise to me, that the defaults (Canon Standard) have more POP than accuracy.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:08 AM
I Simonius

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

Film, colour accuracy/fidelity: Kodak Agfa, Fuji, all produced films with very different colour characteristics,

anyhoo Adobe Standardv2- only JUST discovered it and would say that for getting the shadows to behave it is a boon! yes. a BOON I tell you!

ps.I mostly do mono

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:40 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

And where in PS would one apply such a camera profile?

Apr 26, 2018 at 06:02 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

Agree the new profiles are in a different league to the old ones.
Im using them now for almost every shot as a start point.
In the past they where unasable now i find im only making minor tweaks prior to final editing.

Apr 26, 2018 at 07:51 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DS R Adobe Standard V2 Profile

Jeffrey wrote:
And where in PS would one apply such a camera profile?

Nevermind. I re-read the OP. Duh!

Apr 26, 2018 at 09:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.