Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Another flash, same problem...SONY!!!

mulder32
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another flash, same problem...SONY!!!

So the Godox V860II was a bust with both my a7 and a7s. Overexposes way too much, normally about 2 stops...inconsistent results...major fail. OK, so let's try the Nissin i60a. I read great things about it...exactly the same problem...the thing just goes nuclear (it also emits a constant high-pitched sound which is sort of annoying after a while, and cannot do HSS in bounce mode--really?). Is this a Sony problem or are third-party companies just not stepping up to the plate in regards to Sony cameras and TTL flash?

Is there any flash that will actually produce decent TTL exposures? As a wedding photographer I don't have time to monkey around with settings. Sometimes all you have is a couple seconds and the moment is gone. Turn around and the lighting can change drastically. The camera/flash just have to work.

Maybe I'm trying to hard to make Sony work for weddings. My Canon/Godox V860II combo nail the exposure in ettl mode pretty much every time.

Oct 04, 2016 at 09:31 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another flash, same problem...SONY!!!

My Sony 43M was excellent. I set it to -1 flash exposure compensation, and it was perfect, even if I used a snoot, diffuser, or gels.

Oct 04, 2016 at 09:47 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another flash, same problem...SONY!!!

mulder32 wrote:
So the Godox V860II was a bust with both my a7 and a7s. Overexposes way too much, normally about 2 stops...inconsistent results...major fail. OK, so let's try the Nissin i60a. I read great things about it...exactly the same problem...the thing just goes nuclear (it also emits a constant high-pitched sound which is sort of annoying after a while, and cannot do HSS in bounce mode--really?). Is this a Sony problem or are third-party companies just not stepping up to the plate in regards to Sony cameras and TTL flash?

Is there any flash that will actually produce decent TTL exposures? As
...Show more

I have no issues with the A7r II. I do use a diffuser like a stofen and point it up. Never dead on

Oct 04, 2016 at 09:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mulder32
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another flash, same problem...SONY!!!

TheEmrys wrote:
My Sony 43M was excellent. I set it to -1 flash exposure compensation, and it was perfect, even if I used a snoot, diffuser, or gels.

I'm starting to think my final hope is Sony's flagship flash--the price blows though.

Oct 04, 2016 at 10:39 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another flash, same problem...SONY!!!

I am not a flash user that much but the little HVL-f20m is decent. With an A7s (and now sold A7 also) I use -1 with it. Simple and easy to use quickly, just raise to turn it on and lower to turn it off.

Maybe not the ideal wedding flash (especially not for large groups) but maybe worth a go for singles/couples/small groups until you get something better.

I generally think Sony cameras do over power flash a bit so should be dialled down a bit.

Edited on Oct 04, 2016 at 11:17 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:12 PM
HiredArm

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another flash, same problem...SONY!!!

I don't use any speedlights beyond my Nissin i40 which is more for travel than anything so I can't say it's a Sony problem my strobes are manual and look great though with Sony.

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:17 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password