Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

Mount Nebo is south of Provo Utah and is the highest peak in the Wasatch Range. We got some snow a week or so back and I drove up the Nebo Loop to see if there was any good fall color. It was perhaps a week early, but the last chance I had to get up here this year.

The first is just a shot of Nebo from the overlook to show the mountain itself. The second has some snow covered foothills east of Nebo, the last two are taken from a spot that had some color with Nebo peaking out in the background.

I don't expect much of these shots, just showing the best I found and the last of my fall series.

In spite of what I may have said in other forums, I do expect some critique here.

Mount Nebo

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    24mm    f/13.0    1/250s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Foothills east of Nebo

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    33mm    f/13.0    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nebo in the background

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    44mm    f/8.0    1/800s    100 ISO    -1.3 EV  

Nebo in the background

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    70mm    f/13.0    1/200s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Edited on Oct 05, 2016 at 02:45 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2016 at 06:59 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

Ben,
you know I can't critique your work technically
and I can't critique the wonderful vistas you scout out, encounter, and beautifully document
but here are my thoughts:
1. beautifully balanced comp, great composition and pleasure viewing the contrast and layering of sky/snow cap/trees and rough terrain beneath
2. bothers me, through no fault of your own. I keep feeling like I am sliding off to the left with perceived tilt
3. close tie with #1. I know you have a standard aspect ratio, but I think the image might be stronger with a crop from the left to about the middle of the V formed in the hills. Then a bit off the bottom to tighten up.
4. Very pleasingly rendered and framed but without as much sense of prime subject. The snow patch at the left adds some interest and balance but it seems far for the eye to travel. Less effective comp but flawlessly captured.

Scott

Oct 05, 2016 at 12:25 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

Scott, thanks so much for your comments. it means a lot to me, especially in this form.

Fall photography has been my greatest disappointment. My recent run of image has been sort of a fishing expedition. I don't have any idea in advance what people will like so I post a number of shots hoping to narrow it down. Your thoughtful comments are very helpful.

The first one is almost self composing. There is a limited area from which to shot and a very large mountain, The snow and the scattering of aspen helped make this better than usual The area is usually closed when there is much snow.

I had two other versions of the second. None of them were very good, just less grass and less mountain.

On 3, I could certainly crop for the image when showing on the web, something I should remember, and thanks for the reminder.

My biggest regret with 4 was even as I walked all over a muddy field looking for a better view of the mountain, there was none until I went back up to the highway where I saw the 3rd, composition.

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:48 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

Knowing that your recent series has been about capturing the fall colors, my picks from this set would be 3, 4, 2 then 1.

Scott added some great critique but for the life of me I can not see his crop suggestion of #3. I played around with different aspect ratio's and crops but I couldn't find/see anything much better than your OP image. I personally don't like the thought of loosing those gorgeous Aspens along the the lower left and bottom and that might be why I can't see a better crop option.

#4 is my second pick because you ventured out of your comfort zone and framed the shot such that you have fall leaves right in the viewers face that stand out nicely against the dark evergreen BG. Nice layering effect in this shot as well. I might try to bring out Nebo a little more maybe with a little contrast or something as it looks a little flat compared to the rest of the image.

#2 is a close second pick but the optical illusion of the tilt that Scott pointed out kinda pushes this one back to my 3rd pick. Excellent shot of a beautiful scene. My mind wanders as I view this image and I imagine the path along the right distant meadow as a game trail where deer would travel.

#1 is a great capture but just isn't holding my attention like the others. Although I do find myself wondering what it would be like to be hiking down through the tree line areas with that majestic mountain dominating the sky line.

You have some killer locations out there Ben. I am soooo damn envious.

Who owns all this land we see in your images? Is this all government land or is it privately owned? And if privately owned, do land owners mind if people hike on their property? We don't have much land out here like you have. The Smokies is about as close as it gets for us out here.

Dave

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

Dave, thanks for the detailed response and it just goes to show, tastes vary. I might do a poll of my the ones I think were best.

I tend to agree on 1, any composition I can get there seems static and the lack of much color in the scene hurts when compared to the others.

I may post the other two versions of 2, but they still have the slope, not much level land around here.

Much of this is national forest, some BLM. Lots of ranches at the lower elevations and free range. We had cattle roaming the road on this trip and ranchers getting ready to round them up. They drive them right down the road which is the only place they can drive them. Lots of fences and no trespassing. But also lots of free pull out areas where camping is permitted and several trails.

tighter view of the second image

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    59mm    f/13.0    1/200s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Tightest view of second image

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    59mm    f/13.0    1/200s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:30 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

And a crop of the 3rd image per Scott's suggestion

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    44mm    f/8.0    1/800s    100 ISO    -1.3 EV  

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:44 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

I like the "tighter view of the second image". It lost the meadow feel but this really brought that uniquely painted hill more front and center. Actually, I had not noticed the unique color splotches on this center hill and distant mountain sides as much as it shows now in your edit. It almost looks like someone painted those patches color there. That someone being mother nature of course.

The tightest version feels awkward in the way the trees are cut off along the bottom edge and the artificial tilt feels stronger in that one.

I'm not sure if your crop of #3 is what Scott had in mind. I think he was talking about removing the left side and slightly up from the bottom. Either way, I still prefer your OP #3.

I like your poll idea and would participate. I think we all could learn a great deal from this type of a poll even if they are not our images.

Dave

Oct 05, 2016 at 04:46 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

I tend to agree with you on which version of 2 is the best crop. I thought about rotating it but the trees sort of confirm my level camera approach. Of course not all trees grow straight up so it's a weighter judgement.

I was confused about which side to crop, and what part of the mountain he meant by the V.. I see two possibilities for a v, a sharp one and a less sharp one. Perhaps Scott will show us a crop.

Oct 05, 2016 at 05:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

I really like the first crop of your second image. The tilt no longer dominates. The layering of color, terrain works well. The second crop variation loses the grasses and looks good, although I would lose a bit of sky. Still I like the introduction to the hills and mountains that the grasses provide.

On my crop suggestion, Dave is right. I may not have described it well, but it was a crop from the other side. I'll show you what I had in mind tonight. See if you like.

Scott

Edited on Oct 05, 2016 at 07:38 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2016 at 05:53 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

Looking forward to it.

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:07 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

The crop of the third image is well done in that a diagonal runs top right from the mountain's peak to bottom left where the most richly coloured trees appear.

Now three distinct areas occupy the image rather than in the previous where the expansive middle ground was something of a distraction.

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

Thanks Rick, much appreciated. I assume you mean the third version of image 2.

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:16 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

Yes

Oct 05, 2016 at 10:27 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

not sure if it is an improvement, but this is kinda what I had in mind
hard to decide how much to take off the bottom
balanced but perhaps too static

Scott

Oct 06, 2016 at 01:07 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mount Nebo ( images added)

Ok, I see what you wanted to do now. Not at all how I envisioned and much better than my attempt to do it.

It makes it more about the mountain and less about the aspen. I like the three crescents consisting of the upper edge of teh aspens and then the two small foothills. It does center Mount Nebo though.

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:00 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password