FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Star trails over the Mormon Barn

rparchen
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Star trails over the Mormon Barn

My 12-day trip to Wyoming last month was a bit bitter sweet...easily some of the best conditions that I've had in the area but I also lost my camera bag with the majority of my equipment (including my full memory card with my first weeks worth of images) so I don't have much to show for it. BUT, I'm a perpetual optimist that sees the good in it all and happily came away with a few keepers. I shot this the day after "the incident" and was determined to not let a moment go to waste with what time I had left and used the crap out of my one lens/memory card/and battery that I had remaining. Shot with A7r and Zeiss Distagon 2/35 ZE (aka everything I own) as I was shooting this frame as part of a much larger panoramic (that will have pin-point stars rather than streaks). 8 minutes, F/5.6, ISO 800 and only lit by the rising moon behind me. Enjoy!

Oct 04, 2016 at 04:28 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Star trails over the Mormon Barn

Hey Rich,

Sorry to hear about your loss, that had to be heart breaking. But glad to see you carrying on here.

The moon is great for lighting a scene, though I think a little darker would work better, at least for me. I am not a fan of scene where the Milky Way is smeared from long shutter speeds, but it actually seems to work in this.

Jim

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:55 PM
rodgerc
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Star trails over the Mormon Barn

Nice Rich, I too was in Tetons in September. I share your pain as my wife left my second body and a 17~24L in a restroom somewhere. Lost and found? yeah right.

Someone somewhere is really enjoying our equipment.

Rodger

Oct 05, 2016 at 05:38 AM
rparchen
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Star trails over the Mormon Barn

JimFox wrote:
Hey Rich,

Sorry to hear about your loss, that had to be heart breaking. But glad to see you carrying on here.

The moon is great for lighting a scene, though I think a little darker would work better, at least for me. I am not a fan of scene where the Milky Way is smeared from long shutter speeds, but it actually seems to work in this.

Jim

Thanks for the feedback Jim! I'm actually also not normally a fan of a smeared Milky Way either but I was initially shooting this for the foreground just after I shot with my SkyTracker and thought the frame still (slightly) worked. And it'll definitely take more than just that to keep me from shooting! I'll be back out there in full force in no time.

Oct 05, 2016 at 04:20 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Star trails over the Mormon Barn

I think it is a beautiful image Rick.
Even if the foreground turned out that bright, I would try to darken it some to give it more of a night time feel.
Awesome capture.

David

Oct 05, 2016 at 05:51 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password