New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Canon Upgrade

Lmhr321

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Upgrade

Looking to sell my T5i. I've had it 2 years but haven't used it that much. I have the kit lens (18-55, i think) all the extras and the box it came in. What is a good asking price? I'm looking to upgrade to a 70d or 80d. Is there a significant difference between the two? Thanks!

Edited on Oct 04, 2016 at 10:19 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:07 AM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Upgrade

Upgrage eh?

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:16 AM
MikeyV
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Upgrade

Not really my business but why do you want to get another camera body if you haven't used this one enough to understand its workings and how to use it? What are you planning to do with an upgrade that you can't do with a T5i, as a beginning photographer?

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:31 AM
JimmyJames
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Upgrade

Canon has recently sold refurbs for $199 with the 18-55 kit lens.

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:35 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Upgrade

Upgrage to the circular file and keep the lens or use the body old for backup.

EBH

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:44 AM
Lmhr321

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Upgrade

Upgrage... UH I hate when I do that!

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:51 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Upgrade

Lmhr321 wrote:
Upgrage... UH I hate when I do that!

You can change the title if you want

But as said if you don't use the gear you have why bother?

Oct 04, 2016 at 12:35 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Upgrade

If the camera that you have don't please you enough to keep you interested in photgraphy alive but you are willing to spend some of the cash in your pocket to get some gear that rekindels it, then why not?

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos80d&products=canon_eos70d&products=fujifilm_xt10&products=canon_eos700d&sortDir=ascending

Oct 04, 2016 at 12:55 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Upgrade

Looking at the specs, the t5i is a fine camera. Imaging resource rates it 4.5 out of 5. Its the next step up from the SL1 which I own and like and has the touch/flip screen which I wish the SL1 had. With the kit lens, I don't see what a body upgrade would get you. Why not look at the 10-18 or 55-250 STM lenses as a means of stimulating your photography interest? Enjoy.

Oct 04, 2016 at 01:07 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Upgrade

I read the post to find out if you were angry about a recent purchase.

Oct 04, 2016 at 02:01 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Upgrade

Tapeman wrote:
I read the post to find out if you were angry about a recent purchase.

Yes, 'Upgrage': How to voice disappointment on an upgraded item in a 21st century Whatsapp styley

"I'm having a bad case of upgrage, this lens is no better than the old one"

Oct 04, 2016 at 02:11 PM
cmyb

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Upgrade

I would stick with the body and upgrade the lens. It would depend on what you shoot to determine which lens to get.

Oct 04, 2016 at 02:11 PM
Lmhr321

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Upgrade

Thanks for the tips. I do use it, just not happy with the final result. I want sharp photos and I'm not getting them. Maybe it's me. I primarily shoot my 3 year old and occasionally landscape. I work between a nifty 50 and a 70-300mm.

Oct 04, 2016 at 04:04 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Upgrade

lowa2 wrote:
Upgrage eh?

Upgrade rage, well known phenomenon, where you get into a buying frenzy and then days later realise what an idiot you've been and go full ape shit.

Edited on Oct 04, 2016 at 10:57 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2016 at 04:42 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Upgrade

Upgrade the lens. You will find that you have a great beginners camera that takes excellent images, as long as you have the correct lens and do your part as far as artistic photography is concerned. I bought the 100mm f/2.8L Macro, and I was totally blown away with the quality of the images it produced with my T3i and my 70D. You won't get much out of it as a used model, so I would do as others suggest and use it with a good lens.

I'm not saying to get that particular lens, but if you do, or another quality lens, it will change your perception of what your T5i is capable of, if you do your part.

Oct 04, 2016 at 05:10 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Upgrade

Try putting it on a tripod column down mirror up and use auto focus and the manual focus use the timer if you don't have a remote trigger that will tell you if it's you or the gear the easiest way then look in to some training either through the local photo club or school.

Oct 04, 2016 at 05:22 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Upgrade

Lmhr321 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I do use it, just not happy with the final result. I want sharp photos and I'm not getting them. Maybe it's me. I primarily shoot my 3 year old and occasionally landscape. I work between a nifty 50 and a 70-300mm.

If you have those lenses and are considering a body upgrade, consider going full frame with a 6D. You will notice more improvement in quality, especially at high ISO, than you will with a new crop sensor.

Oct 04, 2016 at 05:22 PM
tigha45

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Upgrade

If you're not getting sharp photos, the camera is not the problem. Upgrading to a 70D or 80D is more about features and build quality than image quality. Upgrading your lenses will provide a far greater improvement. Honestly, though, you should be able to get decently sharp photos with your current kit, especially with your 50mm prime, if you know its limitations. The 50mm (and basically any 50mm with a planar design) is somewhat soft wide open and performs best when you stop it down, so you have to be judicious with when you shoot wide open. The two zooms seem okay, but aren't exactly optical stalwarts, so you'll probably get the most benefit out of upgrading those. Any of the Canon L zooms will be fine as well as the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 and 55-250mm STM. There are way too many good primes to list, but something like the 35mm f/2 IS would have an incredibly flexible focal length on a crop camera. You already have most focal lengths covered with your kit, so it's easy to test out what focal lengths are most important to you then proceed from there to narrow down your list.

Oct 04, 2016 at 05:41 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Upgrade

I think there isn't a whole lot wrong with the kit lens either generally.

I would consider upgrading if it isn't one of the IS versions but if it is, unless you have a bad copy I think it makes a nice enough addition to a kit. (and if it IS a bad copy, who would want it?).

Sure there are better lenses but they cost a lot more and it doesn't sell for a lot anyway so maybe worth keeping for a while even if you do sell the camera.

Oct 04, 2016 at 05:53 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Upgrade

I totally agree with most everyone else's recommendations on upgrading your glass first.

Oct 04, 2016 at 10:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.