FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Hiring an Associate Photographer

carriedaway
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hiring an Associate Photographer

I've been thinking about adding an Associate Photographer to my team to take on a few more weddings each year on popular dates. I've worked as an Associate for other companies, so I understand the basics, but I have a few questions for those of you that work/have worked with one in the past.

Where did you find your Associate?
Did you train them into what they are, or did they already shoot weddings?
Are they featured on your website, or do you let potential clients know at the sales meeting?
Are Associate packages priced and set up the same, or are they more affordable and different?

I would love to hear any other general comments and experiences from working with an Associate. Thanks!!

Oct 04, 2016 at 03:22 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hiring an Associate Photographer

A very limited answer to your question, but, watch how Tony does it.

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:58 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hiring an Associate Photographer

carriedaway wrote:
I've been thinking about adding an Associate Photographer to my team to take on a few more weddings each year on popular dates. I've worked as an Associate for other companies, so I understand the basics, but I have a few questions for those of you that work/have worked with one in the past.

Are they featured on your website, or do you let potential clients know at the sales meeting?
Are Associate packages priced and set up the same, or are they more
...Show more

Both of our associates were friends first.

They were already established and great photographers that didn't want to run a business anymore. We didn't do any 'training', but we're a family now. We're constantly talking through how we can be better.

They have their own portfolios, blog posts and do all their own meetings. We just handle most of the back end. I never meet 'their' clients. This business is too personal to just assign someone to a couple's wedding. Our business is the tree trunk and our shooting teams (including us) are the branches.

Are Associate packages priced and set up the same, or are they more affordable and different?
Ours are basically the same. Some things are a bit cheaper, some are more expensive. We price based on what it costs us. For associates there's more people to pay so we can't make things less expensive. We also weren't interested in having a 'discount' brand because it sets the wrong expectations. We have two great photographers as associates and we want their clients to know they're getting the best... not the B squad.

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hiring an Associate Photographer

Am I good or what

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:16 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hiring an Associate Photographer

Not at photography, just at FMing

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:19 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hiring an Associate Photographer

Some groups make the associates a lower cost option pushing the fact (may not be true) that the main photographer is better and is higher priced. Others I have seen keep the same average price but offer the associate as another style. They found someone good that had a look quite a bit different than the main photographer. I have not done either so don't know much more than that.

Oct 08, 2016 at 10:05 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password