FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              80      
       end

Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

alwang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.81 #1 · p.81 #1 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Could anyone post some real-world photos that they like with the Contax G28+ 1.5m OptoSigma combo (as opposed to lens tests)? I have this lens and used it extensively on e-mount APS-C, but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle/cost on the A7. I've got a couple of other decent 28mm options.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:59 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.81 #2 · p.81 #2 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

alwang wrote:
Could anyone post some real-world photos that they like with the Contax G28+ 1.5m OptoSigma combo (as opposed to lens tests)? I have this lens and used it extensively on e-mount APS-C, but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle/cost on the A7. I've got a couple of other decent 28mm options.

For me this is the best 28mm at the moment. Biogon provides better (according to my preferences) DOF -> boke transitions and boke than Distagons. I like ZE/ZF 2/28 very much, but the outward field curvature ruins it for me (something pops up from background into focus from what should be in smooth boke - could not care less if something is not sharp in corners, but something which should be out of focus suddenly coming into focus totally ruins it). C/Y Distagon 2.8/28 is quite good on Kolari v2, but outer edges have very steep dive for outer field curvature. Leica R 28mm f/2.8 v2 is good otherwise but I find it's boke awful. So G28 is "the" 28mm for me at the moment.

I have shoot a lot with this combo, but it seems that I have not processed to photos to internet. On summer holiday I had two "sets" of lenses with me: 1) G21, G28, G45 and G90 2) ZM18, ZM25, ZM35, Leica90APO. And I'll will be posting them (to FE-megathread) during fall when I have time and motivation for computer work - this far I have processed only 1st day photos of ~20 shoot days, and 1st day I used the ZM-"set" so no "new" G28 from there yet. I did search online and I have only these available, EXIF is perfect, but if you don't have EXIF-data viewer in your browser open image to new tab, and see from JPG's filename what was the aperture etc.

EDIT: Also one thing to keep in mind: unless you have A7r mkII you need to use Flat Field plugin in Lightroom to get rid off the color cast. A7r mkII has backlit CMOS sensor, and A7, A7r, A7 mkII will cause color casts to edges of images due to CFA(Color Filter Array) structure needed for "frontlit" CMOS sensor. I find this rather annoying - mostly because I don't use Lightroom but I need to use it for G21, G28, ZM25, ZM18 photos (in some circumstances I might use it for ZM 2/35 and ZM 1.5/50 as well).

Samuli

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:42 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.81 #3 · p.81 #3 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

So meanwhile I received a new (used) lens body for my Contax G 28. This one is not defective (no wobble) and after removing a shim I still can't quite focus to infinity with the Techart GA3 adapter when the PCX 1.5m lens is in place - despite being able to focus quite a bit past infinity without the filter.

However, when mounting the lens on my cheapo manual adapter I can focus past infinity even with the filter on it. I can tell just from looking at the lens that the manual adapter brings the optical group much closer to the film plane than the Techart.

In practical shooting I found that the AF of the Techart GA-3 which appears to do a reasonable job in indoor and urban situation often fails for the G 28 in outdoor settings (with lots of fine texture and contrast). Therefore the G28 will probably simply stay on the manual adapter. I'm very pleased with the results.

Aug 13, 2017 at 08:38 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.81 #4 · p.81 #4 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

alwang wrote:

Here's a couple with the A7ii from a few days ago.

edit: and another one

Note that the last one wasn't fully focused to infinity (I only brought the Techart-Adapter on this trip) and was stopped down to f11 to get the distant peaks into focus.

edit:
here the AF didn't focus where I wanted to, but you can see that the bottom left corner is tack sharp and you can see some bokeh

edited again:

I would also like to see some real-world examples with the G21 + filter as I have the option to buy a G21 locally but I'm still on the fence as it is quite a bit of money.

Aug 13, 2017 at 08:43 PM
genji
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.81 #5 · p.81 #5 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Thank you both very much for posting these examples. Both Samuli's close-range photos of the tree trunks and OpticalFlow's last photo (with the hat in the lower left corner) match my normal use case exactly. I'm really impressed, in the case of Samuli's samples, that such even performance across the frame was achieved at f/5.6. Now I'm even more impatiently awaiting the arrival of the PCX 1.5m lens I've ordered.

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
For me this is the best 28mm at the moment. Biogon provides better (according to my preferences) DOF -> boke transitions and boke than Distagons. I like ZE/ZF 2/28 very much, but the outward field curvature ruins it for me (something pops up from background into focus from what should be in smooth boke - could not care less if something is not sharp in corners, but something which should be out of focus suddenly coming into focus totally ruins it). C/Y Distagon 2.8/28 is quite good on Kolari v2, but outer edges have very steep dive for outer
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

OpticalFlow wrote:
So meanwhile I received a new (used) lens body for my Contax G 28. This one is not defective (no wobble) and after removing a shim I still can't quite focus to infinity with the Techart GA3 adapter when the PCX 1.5m lens is in place - despite being able to focus quite a bit past infinity without the filter.

However, when mounting the lens on my cheapo manual adapter I can focus past infinity even with the filter on it. I can tell just from looking at the lens that the manual adapter brings the optical group much closer
...Show more

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:54 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password