FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              90      
       92              104       105       end

Archive 2016 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.91 #1 · p.91 #1 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

If anyone is considering selling a PCX 2m or 2.5m, please let me know.
Best,
Fred

Oct 08, 2017 at 11:38 AM
sychan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.91 #2 · p.91 #2 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Fred Miranda wrote:
If anyone is considering selling a PCX 2m or 2.5m, please let me know.
Best,
Fred

I'm going to order one from Opto-Sigma. If I read HaruhikoT's message right, the one to order is the SLB-50-2000PM, right? I should probably take a picture of the CV 21/1.8 and see if Haruhiko can recommend a lens for that one as well.

Edited on Oct 09, 2017 at 03:16 PM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2017 at 10:07 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.91 #3 · p.91 #3 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

sychan wrote:
I'm going to order one from Opto-Sigma. If I read HarihikoT's message right, the one to order is the SLB-50-2000PM, right? I should probably take a picture of the CV 21/1.8 and see if Harihiko can recommend a lens for that one as well.

You will probably run into problems attaching a lens to the 21mm 1.8 as it has a higher filter diameter
(Most of the PCX lenses are only readily available up to 50mm).

Oct 09, 2017 at 01:30 AM
sychan

p.91 #4 · p.91 #4 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

BastianK wrote:
You will probably run into problems attaching a lens to the 21mm 1.8 as it has a higher filter diameter
(Most of the PCX lenses are only readily available up to 50mm).

Ugh, yes. Even looking at cutting down the lens as someone mentioned elsewhere, it looks like they only go up to 1m in the larger sizes. Would it be possible to try a 58mm->52mm reverse macro adapter and sandwich a 50mm lens in there and suffer the vignetting?
Assuming the edge sharpness was needed for stopped down landscapes, any guesses if the vignetting from the narrower correction lens and step down adapter mostly be gone by around f8?

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.91 #5 · p.91 #5 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

sychan wrote:
Assuming the edge sharpness was needed for stopped down landscapes, any guesses if the vignetting from the narrower correction lens and step down adapter mostly be gone by around f8?

No, mechanical vignetting just gets sharper (=faster/sharper transition to black corner) when closing down.

Optical vignetting usually improves when closing down.

Samuli

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:42 PM
hanay78
• • •
p.91 #6 · p.91 #6 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Hi Bastian,

than you recommend Hawk's adapter for the ZM lenses in order not to have to modify them instead of Voigtländer one? Or it is better to remove sims in the lens and use Voigtländer?

Regards

Oct 10, 2017 at 02:50 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.91 #7 · p.91 #7 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

hanay78 wrote:
Hi Bastian,

than you recommend Hawk's adapter for the ZM lenses in order not to have to modify them instead of Voigtländer one? Or it is better to remove sims in the lens and use Voigtländer?

Regards

Hawk's adapter:
Infinity can be somewhat adjusted, but I don't know if there is enough room so you don't have to adjust the shims.
I haven't used one yet as in Germany you have to import them for rather high prices.

If you have a Zeiss lens where shims can easily be adjusted I would do that and go with the VM-E close focus adapter.

Oct 10, 2017 at 02:55 AM
hanay78
• • •
p.91 #8 · p.91 #8 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Thank you Bastian,

by the way, how did you order the OptoSigma lens? It looks like Laser2000 only accepts orders from companies...

Regards

Oct 10, 2017 at 07:34 AM
Slalom
• • •
p.91 #9 · p.91 #9 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

https://europe.optosigma.com/plano-convex-lens-50mm-diameter-5000mm-focal-length-400-700nm.html?___SID=U

They opened this up about 2 months ago.

Oct 10, 2017 at 07:48 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.91 #10 · p.91 #10 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

I have a PCX 2000 coming for my CV 28 Ultron. I’m changing my name to Guinea Pig. Have lens in hand going to do some limited testing today but looks like I have a good copy. I probably won’t post today’s test but wait for front filter test when I get it.

Oct 10, 2017 at 08:42 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.91 #11 · p.91 #11 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Now that the 65/2 APO is on its way, the 35/1.7 needs to find its way into a shopping cart soon . . .

I very much appreciate the Guinea Pigs among the participants in this thread!

Oct 10, 2017 at 09:54 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.91 #12 · p.91 #12 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

GMPhotography wrote:
I have a PCX 2000 coming for my CV 28 Ultron. I’m changing my name to Guinea Pig. Have lens in hand going to do some limited testing today but looks like I have a good copy. I probably won’t post today’s test but wait for front filter test when I get it.

Yea, you got the last PCX 2000 they had!
I was the guinea pig this time but you didn't let me!!

No worries, I picked up the PCX 2500 and will test it on Friday. There should be no visible differences especially after f/4.

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:18 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.91 #13 · p.91 #13 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Lol

Yea I jumped on it quick. I want to take the lens to NY next Tuesday.

The good news is I’ll be testing the PCX 2000 and Fred the PCX 2500. When I get back from NY I’ll probably sent the PCX 2000 so he can do a quick test between them but I feel also that it may not make any difference. But we certainly can’t be using the PCX 5000 as Its ,just not strong enough.

I tested that yesterday with the PCX 5000 and you can see it’s better than native already but not enough. I’m hoping to have the PCX 2000 by Friday so I can test before I leave.

I am thinking of starting a thread on the Ultron 28mm and show it in its native state the Big Bronco test just to show where it is without a PCX front filter

Oct 11, 2017 at 08:09 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.91 #14 · p.91 #14 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

GMPhotography wrote:
Lol

Yea I jumped on it quick. I want to take the lens to NY next Tuesday.

The good news is I’ll be testing the PCX 2000 and Fred the PCX 2500. When I get back from NY I’ll probably sent the PCX 2000 so he can do a quick test between them but I feel also that it may not make any difference. But we certainly can’t be using the PCX 5000 as Its ,just not strong enough.

I tested that yesterday with the PCX 5000 and you can see it’s better than native already but not enough. I’m hoping to
...Show more

Anyone else have the g21+PCX that can test for coma? My results at 2.8 shooting stars was pretty ok in the center, a midzone dip where stars got worse and more blobby/smearish, and then improvement towards the edges of the frame. I am wondering if it's a sensor stack/pcx result. I am going to try flipping my filter so it favors the mid zone and gives in the corners and see if that reverses the behavior. I gave mine for Derek to test on his UT sensor, but am curious if anyone else has tested for coma on a stock sensor with filter.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:15 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.91 #15 · p.91 #15 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

BTW anyone needing a PCX 2000 I have one I just got for the CV 28 that is too strong for it. It’s on the B&S board. I only tested it this morning. So it’s new

I need to ship Monday so grab it

Oct 14, 2017 at 02:59 PM
maxxprofex

p.91 #16 · p.91 #16 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Hello everybody,

here's my results from testing the Voigtländer Color Skopar 25mm, based on Haruhiko's recommendation to use a 1200mm PCX lens (thanks again so much, Haruhiko!!!). Without filter the CV25 performs just horribly on the A7. With the PCX filter the lens becomes quite usable on my A7, albeit not perfect. The difference that PCX filter makes is quite impressive. (As a side note: with my Nikon AIS 24mm F2.8 I get better corners, but the center is better with CV25; also, the CV25 produces nicer colors).

These were shot at F8:
With PCX: https://ibb.co/cknLt6
Without: https://ibb.co/dHqUmR

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:52 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.91 #17 · p.91 #17 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

I receive questions on how to mount those filters quite often, so here is a step-by-step guide:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140854680@N04/albums/72157688154540524/with/37798332872/

Oct 21, 2017 at 09:14 AM
hanay78
• • •
p.91 #18 · p.91 #18 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Hello Bastian,

sorry to disturb you again. Looking to get a ZM 25mm. I have seen very interesting ones in Japan. Do you know how much to pay for it in taxes & custom rights... in the European Union?

Thank you very much in advance

Oct 24, 2017 at 01:49 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.91 #19 · p.91 #19 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

hanay78 wrote:
Hello Bastian,

sorry to disturb you again. Looking to get a ZM 25mm. I have seen very interesting ones in Japan. Do you know how much to pay for it in taxes & custom rights... in the European Union?

Thank you very much in advance

I am not sure I fully understand your question.

Do you want to know what the ZM 25 costs in Germany? ~770€ mint used
Do you want to order one from Japan and want to know what taxes you will have to pay? I am not the right person to ask.

As this lens is not overly rare you are probably better off just buying local.

Oct 24, 2017 at 02:03 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.91 #20 · p.91 #20 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

BastianK wrote:
As this lens is not overly rare you are probably better off just buying local.

+1

Customs depend on VAT and maybe some other local laws.

Example if I would order to Finland, I would assume German is not much different, for sure VAT is different.

Lens 700EUR
Shipping 50EUR (at least in Finland you pay customs and VAT also for shipping cost)
==> Total 750EUR

And extra fees due to not buying from EU:
- customs (custom code for item category 9002110090 => 6.7% in Finland) = 50.25EUR
- VAT 24% = 192.06EUR

Grand total 992.31EUR - at this price I would consider buing brand new from eBay for 1099EUR:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/ZEISS-Biogon-T-2-8-25-ZM-silber-000000-1365-652-NEU-OVP-/172750479523?epid=103003751
Also there are few used for price Bastian mentioned in www.ebay.de. I paid 6 months ago 699EUR for my mint copy from local store in Finland, which does quality checks and I can return if I don't like it.

Samuli

Oct 24, 2017 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.