FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              46      
       48              104       105       end

Archive 2016 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.47 #1 · p.47 #1 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Never tested them against each other but I tend to like this ZM better with more micro contrast. Plus I do not like manual focus on the Batis series

Feb 13, 2017 at 03:33 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.47 #2 · p.47 #2 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

HaruhikoT wrote:
Looks the same as mine, significant improvement. Congrats!

All thanks to you HaruhikoT. Brilliant !

Feb 14, 2017 at 07:58 PM
Slalom
• • •
p.47 #3 · p.47 #3 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

HaruhikoT Two things about the Faq:

1. The Contax G 21 & 25 show 1.5 and 2 Metre OptoSigmas is this correct? I may have missed something!
  2. For the 25mm 49-55 step up then 55-52 step down with the 52mm retaining ring (ex Amazon basics, works best.

Many Thanks for all the help guys

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:14 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.47 #4 · p.47 #4 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Back to the 25mm ZM i got a 46mm UV filter took the glass out put the Hoya +1 in it and it is not vignetting at F8 and the hood goes on and off. Perfect solution. After its all said and done it is about equal to what I did with the Dremel.

For 35 ZM i have a Leica ElPro 3 coming tomorrow . Honestly Im tempted to get the Dremel out and see if I could grind the glass down on one of my extra 46mm closeup glass. I would love to get the dang Optima Sigma .5 to about 48mm instead of 50 and just put it in a 49mm filter ring. Seriously that would be the most ideal setups

Link for the UV for the 25mm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004ZCJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 15, 2017 at 04:11 PM
navmannz
• • •
p.47 #5 · p.47 #5 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

GMPhotography wrote:
Back to the 25mm ZM i got a 46mm UV filter took the glass out put the Hoya +1 in it and it is not vignetting at F8 and the hood goes on and off. Perfect solution. After its all said and done it is about equal to what I did with the Dremel.

For 35 ZM i have a Leica ElPro 3 coming tomorrow . Honestly Im tempted to get the Dremel out and see if I could grind the glass down on one of my extra 46mm closeup glass. I would love to get the dang Optima Sigma .5
...Show more

Guy, I have a 5m optosigma coming, and also a cheap 49mm filter with locking ring. I have spoken with a local optometrist who advises that they should be able to grind the Optosigma to the same dimensions as the 49 mm UV, once I have it out, provided that the BK7 optical glass is okay for their shaping machine. I'm expecting to be able to do this in about a week, depending on how long shipping takes from Japan to NZ. I promise that I'll report as soon as I have some news - good or bad! I agree that this would be ideal if achievable, particularly given the ability to retain use of the Zeiss hood.

-John

Feb 15, 2017 at 04:35 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.47 #6 · p.47 #6 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Yea i think if a optometrist can do it than that is the best way. I just tried on a 46mm close up filter and its not the best way as it chips glass. The problem is knowing when to stop so the retaining ring can hide the chipping but I hate to ruin a 90 dollar lens either. But this is the way it looks with a Dremel. As you can see I could probably bite it off better.

I look forward to your report also ask him what the final cut size is so we can advice maybe a local shop here. Its 50 as it is normal. Im thinking its got to get to 48mm, maybe even 47mm. I guess we could measure the UV glass we take out. I don't have that tool but if anyone can measure one that maybe helpful.

Feb 15, 2017 at 04:40 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.47 #7 · p.47 #7 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

One thing I do know and that is when to get off the bus and ask for directions. Perfect case here to leave this in someone else hands.

Feb 15, 2017 at 04:45 PM
Parariss
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.47 #8 · p.47 #8 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

navmannz wrote:
Guy, I have a 5m optosigma coming, and also a cheap 49mm filter with locking ring. I have spoken with a local optometrist who advises that they should be able to grind the Optosigma to the same dimensions as the 49 mm UV, once I have it out, provided that the BK7 optical glass is okay for their shaping machine. I'm expecting to be able to do this in about a week, depending on how long shipping takes from Japan to NZ. I promise that I'll report as soon as I have some news - good or bad! I agree
...Show more

I think I read earlier here that it's a problem if the optosigma is not perfectly centered. You might want as what their production tolerances are. Hopefully, the work would not have to be done by hand.

Feb 15, 2017 at 07:04 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.47 #9 · p.47 #9 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

The retaining ring should center the lens as you keep tightening it down. At least it should

Feb 15, 2017 at 07:26 PM
navmannz
• • •
p.47 #10 · p.47 #10 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Parariss wrote:
I think I read earlier here that it's a problem if the optosigma is not perfectly centered. You might want as what their production tolerances are. Hopefully, the work would not have to be done by hand.

If you search online you'll find examples of the hardware that they use, which basically uses either a computerised template or physical blank, which enables edges to be ground with very high levels of precision, c. 0.1-0.2 mm. But the proof of the pudding will be in the eating...

-John

Feb 15, 2017 at 08:20 PM
davidzimand

p.47 #11 · p.47 #11 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Regarding the Voigtlander 35/1.2 - I believe these are better for sensor out of the box than the Zeiss ZM range. The Voigtlander is an excellent lens but a very different character, a bit softer, less micro contrast, but still very very sharp especially as you close it down. While there is a lot of curvature wide open, it is better mitigated than ZM35, and it's a large part of its character. So, where there may be some small improvements to be made or "corrected" I think it is not only unnecessary but may defeat the purpose of using such a lens.

To me, the ZM is more contrasty and super sharp, including wide open, but balances this focal length with a modern Zeiss look wide open. The Voigtlander is more of an old school look, better for weddings for example where character and softness of a degree has its place and function.

Feb 15, 2017 at 09:54 PM
HaruhikoT
• •
p.47 #12 · p.47 #12 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Slalom wrote:
HaruhikoT Two things about the Faq:

1. The Contax G 21 & 25 show 1.5 and 2 Metre OptoSigmas is this correct? I may have missed something!
  2. For the 25mm 49-55 step up then 55-52 step down with the 52mm retaining ring (ex Amazon basics, works best.

Many Thanks for all the help guys

1. 25mm is not available for Contax G. If you are saying about Zeiss ZM 25mm, Hasselblad Proxar 1m was tested.
2. Zeiss ZM 25mm has 46mm filter thread so you need 46-55 stepup, not 49-55.
See also bastian's summary.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:27 PM
teeraash

p.47 #13 · p.47 #13 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Could someone tell me how to delete this post.

Edited on Feb 16, 2017 at 04:52 AM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2017 at 04:30 AM
teeraash

p.47 #14 · p.47 #14 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

This is a quick test of Zeiss ZM 35mm f1.4 versus Leica 35mm 1.4 Fle. I used PCX 5m for both lenses. Some caveats should be mentioned here. Firstly, I didn't use tripod and didn't have lot of time to check the precision of focuses as my friends were pretty hungry. Secondly, the alignment of PCX glass may not be perfect as I am still waiting for the Silicone O-ring to center the glass in its holder. Nevertheless, the results of this test seem to be obvious to me. I would not hesitate using these two excellent lenses on distant landscape and stopping down to very slow apertures is not necessary unless one wants more DoF. Before the test I thought that the Zeiss Distagon would smoke the Leica Summilux all over. But it seems that the Leica is putting up a good fight to the last pixel. Differences seem to be small in most areas and probably not going to affect me much in the real world situations but I'm not a landscape shooter kind of guy and this conclusion may not hold for meticulous shooters here.

Below is the whole scene and red marks are cropped spots.

http://_DSC0676-5.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr

The first images are always from Zeiss ZM 35/1.4 and the second images are from Leica 35mm Summilux FLE. All were taken with A7RM2 and the lenses were set at F4 with front end filter (PCX 5m). You can compare these images at 100% by using links to my Flickr pages.

Extreme left corner

_DSC0676-6.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr
_DSC0692-5.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr

Mid-zone area

[uxerl=https://flic.kr/p/QVX6GH]_DSC0676-2.jpg[/url] by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr
_DSC0692-2.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr

Center

_DSC0676-3.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr
_DSC0692-3.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr

Extreme Left Edge

_DSC0676-4.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr
_DSC0692-4.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 16, 2017 at 07:30 AM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2017 at 04:43 AM
HaruhikoT
• •
p.47 #15 · p.47 #15 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

teeraash wrote:

This is a quick test of Zeiss ZM 35mm f1.4 versus Leica 35mm 1.4 Fle. I used PCX 5m for both lenses. Some caveats should be mentioned here. Firstly, I didn't use tripod and didn't have lot of time to check the precision of focuses as my friends were pretty hungry. Secondly, the alignment of PCX glass may not be perfect as I am still waiting for the Silicone O-ring to center the glass in its holder. Nevertheless, the results of this test seem to be obvious to me. I would not hesitate using these two excellent lenses on distant
...Show more

Thank you for posting quite interesting tests!
Both Lux35+PCX5m and ZM35+PCX5m look super-sharp on A7RII, and Lux35 has a bit more contrast than ZM35 in my eyes.
If you have time, I'd like to see the Lux35's wider aperture shots (F1.4 and F2.0). With PCX versus without PCX comparison would be also appreciated.

Feb 16, 2017 at 06:18 AM
teeraash

p.47 #16 · p.47 #16 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Thanks HaruhikoT for the compliment and for starting this most useful and interesting thread. I have everything that you may want to see and also images shot with M240. However, I am a kind of reluctant to post as I did the shooting too quickly and my PCX may not be propery aligned. For example, while the right hand extreme corner images are sharp from wo but on the left side, the double lines are gone by f4. I want to redo it again but even on the sub-optimal implementation of the front-end filter (on my part), I start to very much doubt the notion that M lenses are best used on M cameras!

In addition, I can throw in the Kolari v2 moded A7 for a mix.

Edited on Feb 16, 2017 at 09:02 PM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:12 AM
scrappydog
• • •
p.47 #17 · p.47 #17 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

@teeraash - you can use pieces of rubberband to act as shims to center your 5m lens in the holder. I posted a shot on my Flickr page here: https://flic.kr/p/R7FjJ2

Edited on Feb 17, 2017 at 06:58 AM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:31 AM
teeraash

p.47 #18 · p.47 #18 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

Thanks for the info. I'll for sure try that.

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:38 AM
artur5
• • •
p.47 #19 · p.47 #19 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

GMPhotography wrote:

I did a test swapping the mount of a 58mm Hoya +1 close-up with one from a 58mm. Hoya UV. Super easy and it fits perfectly but now the curved side of the close-up filter protrudes a bit on the front, because the mount of the UV filter is 3mm. thinner. I guess it's the same for a 46mm. unit, so probably it isn't possible to use the original Zeiss lens cap ? ( BTW, design wise, those ZM caps are awful ).
Do you protect the filter with a generic cap or something when there's no hood on it or simply you leave always the hood on the lens ?

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:45 AM
wstam
• •
p.47 #20 · p.47 #20 · Front-End Filter Improves Corner Smearing

teeraash wrote:
Thanks HaruhikoT for the compliment and for starting this most useful and interesting thread. I have everything that you may want to see and also images shot with M240. However, I am a kind of reluctant to post as I did the shooting too quickly and my PCX may not be propery aligned. For example, the right hand extreme corner images are sharp from wo but on the left side, the double lines are gone by f4. I want to redo it again but even on the sub-optimal implementation of the front-end filter (on my part), I start to very
...Show more

Thanks for sharing the photos. I wonder if you need to adjust the lenses for infinity focusing? Which adapter are you using?

I have both these lenses but originally not plan to adapt them as I plan to use them on M body too. Only did the mod to my ZM 25mm. So wonder if these two lenses can escape the mod with certain adapter.

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:47 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.