New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Manual 135mm Lenses

waterden
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Manual 135mm Lenses

Agree about the Minolta AF 135/2.8. It is a beautiful lens and very small and light with a sliding hood. Not as good as the Samyang but pretty good. As is the Minolta MD 135/2.8 but you need to make sure you get the right variant as one beats all the others. Check on Dyxum forum for details.

Oct 05, 2016 at 01:48 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Manual 135mm Lenses

no love for the Tair huh?

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:47 PM
bluloo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Manual 135mm Lenses

waterden wrote:
Agree about the Minolta AF 135/2.8. It is a beautiful lens and very small and light with a sliding hood. Not as good as the Samyang but pretty good. As is the Minolta MD 135/2.8 but you need to make sure you get the right variant as one beats all the others. Check on Dyxum forum for details.

FWIW, I have the 4/4 and 6/5 versions of the MD 135 F2.8, and they're very close, IMO.
The latter is still very nice, especially for about $65.

I'm fairly sure this one was taken with the 6/5 lens on the A7RII, for reference. EDIT- I think this was the 4/4 version. Apologies

Minolta MC Rokkor-X 135mm F2.8 by lareginl, on Flickr

Edited on Oct 06, 2016 at 02:16 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:53 PM
waterden
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Manual 135mm Lenses

Re Minolta MD 135/2.8 this is the one to seek out, the MD I variant. This site also has tests of the others

http://vintagelensreviews.com/vlr/reviews/minolta-md-tele-rokkor-135-mm-f2-8-md-i/

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:07 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Manual 135mm Lenses

There are two different versions that are 4/4. There are actually three variations of the MD tele-rokkor 135/2.8 to be aware of. The 1st version is the easiest to distinguish as it lacks the the 55mm filter thread mention on the front lens ring.

The second version is the tricky one. It mentions the 55mm filter thread on the front lens ring. However, on the end of the barrel, the ring that has 135mm stamped on it is straight. This is also the 4/4 design.

The third version has an identical front filter ring. However, the ring with 135mm stamped on it is tapered. It is a 5/5 design.

The second version isn't as commonly known. Because of this, I picked mine up for something under $50. The true 4/4 versions go for a premium. They pop up for over $100 on the big auction site.

Here is a very cool resource I found for identifying Minolta MF lenses. There are links for the 28's and 50's.

http://home.kpn.nl/dielpeet/minolta/minolta-other-lenses.htm

waterden wrote:
Re Minolta MD 135/2.8 this is the one to seek out, the MD I variant. This site also has tests of the others

http://vintagelensreviews.com/vlr/reviews/minolta-md-tele-rokkor-135-mm-f2-8-md-i/

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:26 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Manual 135mm Lenses

You will not find a better 135 than the Zeiss APO f2, period . No other maker even Leica can match what that 135 can do. The 2nd best is the 135mm 1.8 A mount which I also have. You switch to a different 135 and you will be regretting itthe firt time you view the results. You can get a different adapter if you like. They are cheap enough.

http://www.zeissimages.com/standardgallery.php?lenstype=557&showall

http://www.zeissimages.com/standardgallery.php?lenstype=326&showall

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arduluth
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Manual 135mm Lenses

JimUe wrote:
no love for the Tair huh?

What does it offer than the other options don't? It's not a cheap lens, $100-200. Some of the others are lighter and smaller, as well. You could get the Leica (Series IV at least) or Contax for the $200 people are asking for the Tair-11A. From what I've seen, the bokeh is pretty rough wide open, contrast is a bit low.

Oct 05, 2016 at 06:57 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Manual 135mm Lenses

TheEmrys wrote:
There are two different versions that are 4/4. There are actually three variations of the MD tele-rokkor 135/2.8 to be aware of. The 1st version is the easiest to distinguish as it lacks the the 55mm filter thread mention on the front lens ring.

The second version is the tricky one. It mentions the 55mm filter thread on the front lens ring. However, on the end of the barrel, the ring that has 135mm stamped on it is straight. This is also the 4/4 design.

The third version has an identical front filter ring. However, the ring with 135mm stamped on
...Show more

How much worse is the v3 and v4? The weights are sure appealing...

MC v1 - 6/5 - 518g
MD v1 - 4/4 - 535g
MD v2 - 4/4 - 535g
MD v3 - 5/5 - 365g
MD v4 - 5/5 - 385g

Oct 05, 2016 at 07:01 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Manual 135mm Lenses

The last two versions are optically identical. They are regarded as optically inferior and were part of the "lightening" movement that Minolta went through. Now, whether or not they are indeed inferior, I haven't seen a good comparison, or really, any sort of proof at all.

It is even possible that it shares the same design as the later Minolta AF 135/2.8, which is a great little lens. It also has a 5/5 design. The AF Maxxum/Dynax is pretty highly regarded for its performance : price.

Oct 05, 2016 at 08:41 PM
bwcolor
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Manual 135mm Lenses

The Contax C/Y 135mm f/2.8 is a very nice lens at a reasonable size and cost. It can't be used shooting at close distances, which is a very big limitation. Close focus adapter options have allowed for closer cropped portraits. It is my only 135mm lens, so I can't compare it to other lenses of the same focal length, but it is sure a nicer carry package than my 100mm Makro-Planar, or my 100mm Canon "L".

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:37 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Manual 135mm Lenses

TheEmrys wrote:

The third version has an identical front filter ring. However, the ring with 135mm stamped on
...Show more

Interesting. Lots of useful links shared. Thanks for that, everyone.

Here's the link I used to identify mine, FYI

http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/

Oct 06, 2016 at 02:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password