New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Profoto B1 High speed sync manual mode

Adam73
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto B1 High speed sync manual mode

I have been shooting high speed sync with no issues in TTL.

When I'm in a room that is pretty brightly lit and I want to shoot fast enough to kill the ambient light, I put my Air TTL remote to TTL, shoot the first shot, then put my Air TTL to manual and try to adjust the power manually on the B1 by turning the knob on the back. When trying to go less power, The B1 beeps at me and wont allow me to adjust the power. What am I doing wrong?

-Adam

Oct 03, 2016 at 07:08 PM
zurkzees
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto B1 High speed sync manual mode

The minimum power level on the B1 for HSS is 7, you
can't go below.

Hope that helps

Oct 03, 2016 at 10:45 PM
Adam73
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto B1 High speed sync manual mode

oh ok, that makes more sense.

These lights are amazing but are limited as well. Only able to change ratios instead of actually power from the Air TTL remote kind of sucks too.

Oct 03, 2016 at 11:05 PM
djb663
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto B1 High speed sync manual mode

I used to think that was annoying as well, but have since become completely used to and comfortable with making global flash adjustments on camera instead. It works very well actually. I don't know what camera(s) you use, but on the Nikon D4S, D810, and D500 it's simple and instinctive. Try it out, I'll bet you get used to it quickly.

Oct 04, 2016 at 09:17 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto B1 High speed sync manual mode

It's possible that Profoto could release a firmware update that would enable the B1 to use to a power setting lower than 7 in HSS mode. When? Who knows? They've had three years to update HSS but nothing so far.

The following statement is from the B1 Manual: "* During a HSS flash, the flash is pulsing to provide a constant light output during the time when the shutter is open. To ensure a perfect exposure and a stable flash pulse, the B1 uses only the upper part of its power range when in HSS Mode. The HSS power range is currently 7.0-10.0 for Canon and 8.0-10.0 for Nikon but may change with later firmware."

Edited on Oct 04, 2016 at 11:33 AM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2016 at 10:41 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto B1 High speed sync manual mode

Adam73 wrote:
oh ok, that makes more sense.

These lights are amazing but are limited as well. Only able to change ratios instead of actually power from the Air TTL remote kind of sucks too.

You can change the power level instead of the ratio from the remote. You just have to be in manual mode.

You're not supposed to be able to change the actual power level in any TTL system (just the ratio). If you could change the power level then it would no longer be TTL.

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:06 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto B1 High speed sync manual mode

Try setting your initial exposure with ETTL. Then switch the remote to manual which locks the settings and then you can make adjustments quite happily.

Being able to lock in the initial ETTL settings is a very useful feature of the Profoto system.

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:20 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto B1 High speed sync manual mode

leethecam wrote:
Try setting your initial exposure with ETTL. Then switch the remote to manual which locks the settings and then you can make adjustments quite happily.

Being able to lock in the initial ETTL settings is a very useful feature of the Profoto system.

I'll second that and it's a unique feature in a strobe. I don't know of any others that can do this. Even my My Canon 600ex-rt doesn't do that.

Typically, I like to work in manual and take my time but I've found TTL to be very useful in the following conditions.

A). When the ambient light is constantly changing and working in manual isn't practical.
B). To quickly get a baseline power level settings for the strobes to use as a starting point for manual mode (basically, an alternative to using a light-meter).
C). Sometimes TTL is spot on and I'm done (usually it's a case of getting the ratios dialed in)
D). When perfect lighting isn't necessary.
E). If time becomes an issue.

Oct 05, 2016 at 09:02 AM
Adam73
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto B1 High speed sync manual mode

Konablue wrote:
I'll second that and it's a unique feature in a strobe. I don't know of any others that can do this. Even my My Canon 600ex-rt doesn't do that.

Typically, I like to work in manual and take my time but I've found TTL to be very useful in the following conditions.

A). When the ambient light is constantly changing and working in manual isn't practical.
B). To quickly get a baseline power level settings for the strobes to use as a starting point for manual mode (basically, an alternative to using a light-meter).
C). Sometimes TTL is spot on and I'm
...Show more

Thats perfect. thanks for your guys help. Very much appreciated.

-Adam

Oct 08, 2016 at 11:59 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.