New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Looking for Input to recalibrate Non-AI lenses

webmstrk9
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for Input to recalibrate Non-AI lenses

My father has been hanging onto some non/pre-AI lenses, 50, 85, 135, but they are off at infinity. Anyone have any recommendation on a shop to recalibrate them?

In addition, I'll be getting these converted to AI as well, I'm thinking, do the conversion then recalibrate?

Thanks in advance
Ken

Oct 03, 2016 at 07:08 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for Input to recalibrate Non-AI lenses

How can a lens be off at infinity if it is manual focus? The end of travel for the focus ring is not infinity. Lenses are designed to go beyond infinity focus to allow for heat moving elements a bit.

Oct 03, 2016 at 10:26 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for Input to recalibrate Non-AI lenses

They don't need calibration... as mentioned above, they are designed like that. What I do is I go all the way until I hit the hard stop, then back off a little. You can also use Live View for more precise focusing.

As for the Ai conversion, you won't have to do it IF you have a Df. There are also Ai conversion kits so you can just do an aperture ring swap and won't have to file the stock aperture ring.

Oct 03, 2016 at 10:44 PM
Keith B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for Input to recalibrate Non-AI lenses

runamuck wrote:
How can a lens be off at infinity if it is manual focus? The end of travel for the focus ring is not infinity. Lenses are designed to go beyond infinity focus to allow for heat moving elements a bit.

Your statement applies to modern AF and ED lenses, but the Pre-Ai and Ai era Nikon lenses, unless they were ED lenses, had hard infinity stops that are supposed to be infinity focus. Adjustment of the infinity focus is a routine part of a CLA job, but be sure to specifically request it. It doesn't matter if you Ai-them first or last. Most repair shops can do the Ai adaptation and the CLA job.

Oct 04, 2016 at 03:18 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for Input to recalibrate Non-AI lenses

Before you put a lot of money in these lenses check their resale. It may be that you can buy clean duplicates used (some outfits offer return privledges and even a short guarantee).

Oct 05, 2016 at 11:31 AM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for Input to recalibrate Non-AI lenses

SoundHound wrote:
Before you put a lot of money in these lenses check their resale. It may be that you can buy clean duplicates used (some outfits offer return privledges and even a short guarantee).

Yep, I'm assuming it'll be approx $70-90/lens for CLA and AI conversion.

Still thinking about the lens line up as well

AF
28/1.8g
58/1.4g
70-200 VR2
300/f4

MF - all non/pre-ai
50/1.4
85/1.8
135/2.8

Oct 05, 2016 at 11:47 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for Input to recalibrate Non-AI lenses

Keith B. wrote:
Your statement applies to modern AF and ED lenses, but the Pre-Ai and Ai era Nikon lenses, unless they were ED lenses, had hard infinity stops that are supposed to be infinity focus. Adjustment of the infinity focus is a routine part of a CLA job, but be sure to specifically request it. It doesn't matter if you Ai-them first or last. Most repair shops can do the Ai adaptation and the CLA job.

That's way before my time. I got into photopgraphy with the N60. You mean there was a time without autofocus?

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:02 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.