Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

my little Garmin Etrex Touch 35T supports GPS and Glonass currently. gives it quite a constellation to access when using both.

it can access up to 24 sats between both systems

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:07 PM
rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

https://www.rei.com/product/896373/garmin-etrex-touch-35t-gps

seems to be a navigation product; my interest is in having the GPSS coordinates written right into the photo file as when working I have enough to do w/o trying to code in stuff; when in amateur mode, I'm also interested in relaxing...

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:30 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

rw11 wrote:
https://www.rei.com/product/896373/garmin-etrex-touch-35t-gps

seems to be a navigation product; my interest is in having the GPSS coordinates written right into the photo file as when working I have enough to do w/o trying to code in stuff; when in amateur mode, I'm also interested in relaxing...

+1

I need a simple solution, after a full day of shooting, that can be hundreds of shots. I hardly want to spend more time sorting through GPS data to find the right location at capture. What could be simpler than a Bluetooth module and a high quality GPS logger and the press of the shutter to tag photos? Oh wait, not doing it!

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:13 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

JBPhotog wrote:
+1
[...]I hardly want to spend more time sorting through GPS data to find the right location at capture.

That's not how it works. The photos are auto-tagged by LR, or by Friedl's LR plugin.

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

you have now taken what is pretty much a simple in camera operation and split it off into 2 parts for a little bit of pocket change and an extra operation in post.

yes I still prefer a separate receiver that cables in for a few reasons.

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:12 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

kaplah wrote:
That's not how it works. The photos are auto-tagged by LR, or by Friedl's LR plugin.

How is that simpler than pressing the shutter? Help me understand.

Oct 13, 2016 at 09:30 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

JBPhotog wrote:
How is that simpler than pressing the shutter? Help me understand.

I did not say that it was, I was correcting the impression left by your statement, re: "sorting through GPS data".

Do whatever you want: I have no dog in the fight of on- vs off-camera GPS gathering. My use-case benefits from off-camera, yours may be different.

Having said that, Joseph has a tidy summary of the pros and cons of on- or off-camera GPS tagging at the top post of page 2: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1453767/1#13756649

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:57 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

Mm yeah.. I've used all of these options and now I'm back to using the iPhone app. #1 reason is because the iPhone is always with me and I always have it plugged on the charger. I can also check it visually to see the logging status. It's the easiest and most reliable method in my experience. YMMV

Syncing the GPX file to your photos in LR is super easy. Go to the Map module, import the GPX, select your photos, hit SYNC. Done!

The camera-attached GPS are good units, but one scenario when it can fail is when you're driving in a state park like Yellowstone. You put your camera down for a few minutes and it sleeps along with the GPS. When you spotted some action and grab a quick shot, the GPS will not wake up just in time to tag the image. Some units use the last known location but this can be inaccurate if you're on a moving vehicle. Also, the camera strap can tangle with the unit.

The Holux M1000c (now replaced by RCV-3000) is a good logger, but there's no visual cue if it's logging correctly, aside from a single LED. Some people use a Bluetooth device on their camera (like the Foolography unit) which syncs with the Holux GPS, but this seems the most cumbersome option. You need to make sure the BT syncs with the GPS box and they are within range. One of those "looks good on theory but hassle in real life".

I've researched a lot about the Holux M-241, and it seems an awesome affordable unit, but there were issues about it not saving the files when the battery runs out. This could be a huge problem. Imagine an all-day trip where you're supposed to be logging when, at the end of the day you realize your battery had died around 6pm and the entire trip was lost.

.....which brings us back to the iPhone solution. You see the log in real time and save it on the spot. Then it gets transferred to your Dropbox which means it's backed up in 2 places already. Like most people embarking on a long trip, I agonized on all these GPS options and I found the iPhone one to be the most effective and convenient.

Just don't lose your phone!!!

Oct 13, 2016 at 02:50 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

That is assuming everyone uses Lightroom, I don't and likely will not.

quote]Joseph. wrote:
The Holux M1000c (now replaced by RCV-3000) is a good logger, but there's no visual cue if it's logging correctly, aside from a single LED. Some people use a Bluetooth device on their camera (like the Foolography unit) which syncs with the Holux GPS, but this seems the most cumbersome option. You need to make sure the BT syncs with the GPS box and they are within range. One of those "looks good on theory but hassle in real life".

Actually there are two LED's that blink in a sequence when it has locked onto satellites, so this confirms the logger is capturing waypoints. I do not find it cumbersome in the slightest, turn on Holux, turn on camera, wait 30 seconds for acquisition, put Holux in pocket(left on), press camera shutter, bingo, GPS data embedded into Exif. Turn off camera between shots, turn on camera, press shutter, bingo, GPS data embedded, rinse and repeat. The logger has such a good battery endurance that you can go pretty much a full day on one charge.

Joseph. wrote:
I've researched a lot about the Holux M-241, and it seems an awesome affordable unit, but there were issues about it not saving the files when the battery runs out. This could be a huge problem. Imagine an all-day trip where you're supposed to be logging when, at the end of the day you realize your battery had died around 6pm and the entire trip was lost.

Not sure about my Holux M-1000C, I have taken the battery out and the data is still recoverable.

Joseph. wrote:
.....which brings us back to the iPhone solution. You see the log in real time and save it on the spot. Then it gets transferred to your Dropbox which means it's backed up in 2 places already. Like most people embarking on a long trip, I agonized on all these GPS options and I found the iPhone one to be the most effective and convenient.

Just don't lose your phone!!!

I looked at this app, I didn't like that the app has full access to my Dropbox, not just the data folder it is linked to. I wasn't able to confirm that I could lock all other folders so for me, the security of my other Dropbox content this wasn't going to work for me.

Oct 13, 2016 at 05:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

its nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be with the unit i have if it is really high precision i need (which its not really) i can turn sleep mode off and it will still run for about 8 hrs. from sleep to acquired location is about 2-3 secs.

Oct 13, 2016 at 05:09 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

Just checked the manual, my Holux M-1000C states this:

- Built in rechargeable and changeable Lithium-Ion battery has 28 hr battery performance.
- Reacquisition time is 0.1 sec.

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:22 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

Click. In case something new comes up.

BTW, I use 4 different GPS units on the D810. Different features, but all work fine for tagging my photos.

Feb 06, 2017 at 03:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

generally the gps units use the last known position indoors until they can pick up a complete signal set for reasonable accuracy

Feb 06, 2017 at 05:57 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · GPS geotagging for Nikon D810?

The Solmeta units stay on without camera power. Both the GMAX and Pro2 can also act as stand-alone gps units with the chargeable internal battery. These behave like hand-held gps units with which you can record your tracks. Both are fast and accurate. When internal battery power runs out, they start using power from the camera via the 10 pin remote terminal (the lower threaded port).

The Aokatec and di-gps units are small and require camera power, which they get by being attached to the 10 pin remote terminal. The di-gps unit only runs while the camera is on, so yes, you'd have to turn your camera on and wait for a lock before entering a building. If the di-gps loses a satellite signal, it uses the last known position. So, if you have a good signal outside and lose satellite reception after entering a building, it will keep geotagging using the lat/long that it had just before entering the building.

The Aokatec has a switch to turn it on, which you do BEFORE turning the camera on. It acquires a gps signal and then you turn the camera on. You'd have to remember to turn both on before entering a building.

Feb 06, 2017 at 06:55 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.